MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A Game of Choices

Stephanie

Would you rather????

lose 25 lbs (instantly as if by magic)

OR

gain 50 lbs of the grain of your choice (wheat,rice, oats,etc)

gain 50 lbs....

Would you rather..

have a couple cords of wood or a propane tank??

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cords of wood??? or propane tank???

I'd take the propane tank, we're surrounded by woods and use propane for my stove and primary house heat.

WOULD YOU RATHER??

Learn to make a Coonskin Cap???

or

Learn to make a pair of Moccasins???

I will choose MAKING SOAP!! :D

My mom has been doing it and I want to try it too! Lovely stuff, goats milk soap, feels divine on your skin. :wub:

WOULD YOU RATHER????

have a 25 lb bag of....

Ground Coffee?

Roasted Coffee Beans?

Green Coffee Beans?

I'm feeling generous this morning...gave you three to choose from !!

(come on y'all, anyone can play - just make your choice and then ask your 'would you rather')

Oh wow, just read this great thread, would love to answer all the previous when I have time, but for now I'll just do the most recent:

I'll take the bag of roasted--not ground--beans. I say this because I used to work for Starbucks, and once coffee's been ground, it has a much shorter life before it goes stale and manky (still usable, but not as tasty!). Likewise, I don't have a roaster, so roasting my own would be a bit problematic. But a nice big bag (later divided into 25 smaller bags!) of dark roasted beans would be heavenly! *Puuurrrrsss*

Which of the following skills would you choose (if you had to choose one) either for yourself or as an added member of your survival pack:

Self-Defense (and general Butt-Kicking Arts)

or

Wildcrafting (food and other materials straight frm the wild)

To answer Zophiel's question, the wildscrafting.

Being 6'1, 230# Army vet, I rarely ever find myself in a need to defend myself or in a fight I dont porpousely start.

For my question, Ill ask one that my wife asked me: would you rather

Save your dog from a burning building

To answer Zophiel's question, the wildscrafting.

Being 6'1, 230# Army vet, I rarely ever find myself in a need to defend myself or in a fight I dont porpousely start.

For my question, Ill ask one that my wife asked me: would you rather

Save your dog from a burning building

OR

Save some person you dont know from the same burning building?

My wife didnt like my answer... :blink:

Oh Robie!!! That is too hard!

I will have to say that the life of a human is more important than the life of an animal.

Okay....here's my next one.

WOULD YOU RATHER....

Be certified as an EMT?

or

Have an EMT's bag of equipment and supplies?

On one hand, you'd have all the knowledge, on the other hand you'd have all the equipment?? Which would you rather? :unsure:

I'm not scared to dehydrate but, I am scared to can.

I don't know what a gamma seal lid is so I choose oxygen absorbers.

I'd rather have a root cellar because I can keep one quite.

I'd much rather have a berkely filter because water is more important than heat in Tx.

I'd rather have a mini cow because goats are TOO much animal for me. Cows just stand around.

I'd rather have a well.

I'd rather have a rifle. I wouldn't have to get as close if I had to protect myself.

I dunno what oat groats are.

I'd rather have a backpack.

Midwest cropland, please.

I already have saws. I'll take an axe.

Solar panel is way better for Tx.

Fruit orchard, i guess, but it's a push.

I already have drying racks so, a greenhouse is what I want.

Hand operated grain grinder for obvious reasons.

Treadle sewing machine. I already have electric.

A bolt of quality fabric will do more than a bale of hay.

I can wear a quilt in public if times get tough.

Motor home. Hands down.

A book and an adult.

It would take some effort to eat rabbit so I choose chickens.

Compost toilet seems cleaner.

Oil lamps and cast iron.

Crank radio and oil lamp.

Water barrel has no comparison.

Toilet paper and a fire pit make a good combo.

Deer stand.

Gallon of vinegar and baking soda.

The acre is best since you can dig a cellar, not an acre.

Guard geese.

Shower because I could do this: http://www.greenpowertalk.org/archive/index.php/t-1641.html

Tortilla press and a buck knife.

Compound bow because it is quiet.

I have encyclopedia of country living. I cannot imagine a cook book would be better.

An old person that knows something is better than a young person who does not.

I only weigh 130# and I'm 5'8" 1/2 so I'll take the wheat, please.

Cords of wood and moccasins.

I can already make soap so I'd like to learn to butcher.

Roasted coffee and wild crafting.

Knowledge is better than supplies because I can improvise.

Would you rather have: 10# of coffee or 10# of tea?

Y'all ain't gonna like this but, I'd save my dog.

Okay, I said before I'd eventually do the list, so here goes:

Have a dehydrator, need a Pressure Canner

I need O2 absorbers and can use them right away. For the lids I’d need some buckets. . . (note to slef. . .)

I’d take the generator—the basement is completely underground, and already works well as a root cellar.

I’d take the wood stove—the filter is easier to make, if you have the actual filters (which I do). The wood stove involves solid iron, which I don’t.

Goat or cow is tough. Both make milk, both are edible. I’d say the goat, because it’s more manageable in terms of size, and some goats have hair that makes decent/ good yarn. That said, its real close on that one, the cow having its own advantages.

Again, real close with creek or well. The creek has more wildlife potential, the well is less likely to dry up (In this area). I’ll take the well for more consistent water, as the wildlife is pretty bold as it is.

I have a rifle, but need a handgun.

I’d take the oats, b/c they’re more versatile (to my mind)

I’d rather have backpacks for BoBs, since they’re easier to carry on foot, if needed.

I would love the mountain retreat (I love mountains!), but I think I’ll go for the cropland, just because as much as an introvert as I am, I don’t think I’d be able to handle the isolation well.

I’d take the ax, because it’s also usable for self defense and other needs. The saw is good, but more unwieldy.

Where we are, we wouldn’t get enough sun for a solar panel, so a wind turbine makes more sense.

I’d take the orchard— hardwoods are plentiful in this area in the wild, so there’s plenty for burning. As for nuts. . . good, but the fruit will be more versatile. And better for trade/ selling, as people are willing to pay more for a peach than for some walnuts, generally.

Have a clothes line, so a greenhouse would be fabulous! Especially to help extend the growing season. . .

Hand operated grinder—good for power outages.

Treadle sewing machine, and the canning jars and lids, since neither is especially dependant on the grid. (Granted, canning currently assumes the stove, but the previously chosen woodstove, or even a fire, can probably be used to can food. Once you’ve conquered the learning curve. . .)

I’d go for the seeds—dirt is very findable, and we’ve several good compost piles happening in the back yard.

Hay is nice, but not needed without livestock, so I’ll take the very useable fabric.

Quilt—it can be modified if needed into a cloak, or hung on the wall as a tapestry or curtain (to insulate a room), or placed on the floor to help there. . . The winter coat is just not as versatile. (And I’ve already got an awesome winter coat as it is. . .)

Both but, having to choose, I need a tent for the BoB. Tents can be carried on foot, motor homes, not so much.

Oh, jeez, I suppose it depends on the book! In general, a journal, since it’s good for leaving notes, taking notes, drawing maps, making records, etc. . . the book, once you’re done . . . you’re done.

Well, if the extra adult is my yet-to-be-found husband, I’ll take him! Otherwise, I’ll take the fence for the added security—I can handle the gardening.

Chickens would be awesome—fresh eggs, hoorah! Unless the bunnies being offered were angora bunnies, in which case I’d take them. But generically speaking, I’d want chickens.

I’ll go for the compost toilet—I think it would help our dirt be more productive with the planting.

I have more candles than the National Shrine on the Feast of Our Lady of Guadeloupe, so I’ll choose the oil lamps.

Stainless is nice, but I’ll go for the cast iron—durable, solid, good for hitting intruders over the head with.

It would depend on the families involved. If Mom’s good friend invited us to stay on her inherited family farm, I’d rather go, since there’s more space there for all involved. However, we have otherwise more space than most other ppl we know, so it would be better for them to come here.

I have a crank radio, so I’d really like a ham—and the knowledge to use it well.

I have the N-95 masks, so I’ll take the 50 gallon barrel—refillable, I hope!

I’ll take the $50 to Dicks, and get either a tent or a good sleeping bag.

I’d rather have the TP—much more essential

Hmmm, Right now, I’d go for Burn Barrell, though I’d likely make a firepit in the backyard anyway. . .

I’d take the deer stand—we get a lot of deer, and I’ve seen MS13 tags at nearby shopping centers. Don’t want those #^(##$) coming round when things get iffy.

We have a ton of bleach, so I’d choose the vinegar—it also cleans, and can be used in pickling and other things.

I’d go with the yeast—it can be extended. I’m not sure the best way to do so, but it’s a living organism, so there’s got to be away to grow it. . .

Have a basement, so an acre of land (in addition to the just-under-an-acre we currently have) would be great.

I properly clean and oil Valentine (erm, my rifle) on a regular basis, but I’m crap with sharpening knives, despite my love of shiny sharp things. So I choose sharpening the knives.

Have a large tub, a solar shower would be great when the grid is down!

Umm, geese are awesome and all, but I’m a real dog person. Part of my dream-house involves a pack of canines called the he** Hounds, chief if which will be my Doberman named Anubis. Clearly, I pick the dog.

I’ll take the Apple corer/peeler widget—we do more with apples than tortillas in this house, though both would be great.

Buck knife, for versatility.

I can shoot well (working on my marksmanship at a steady clip), so I’d take the bow lessons, thanks!

I’ll take the encyclopedia since it’s more broad in coverage, and I’m quite comfortable in the kitchen as it is (Thanks mom!)

I’ll take the old person with the info. Clueless (even if good hearted) is a recipe for increased trouble.

I’m a big girl, so loosing 25lbs would be better than gaining the food.

We’ve a little forest in our yard, so wood is plentiful. More propane is good, though.

Learn to make moccasins—protect the feet! Coonskin caps are cool, but I can knit hats and sew hats—feet are special.

Make soap—when I get hungry enough, that chicken will die and be fixed up in no time.

I already answered on the coffee, but to refresh, I’d choose the bag of unground, roasted beans.

I’d choose butt-kicking skills, since I’ve got good basic wild-crafting down. . .

Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Jr or a human? Gah, and there’s no guarantee that the person will be worth the trouble, but I know Malcolm is a good dog. . . But humans are, ultimately, more important. . . Look, I know I should choose the human. But I also think that, in a real sitation, in the blink of a moment, I’d choose Malcolm-puppy. I know he’s a good boy. I don’t know that about the human. Have I even mentioned my misanthropic tendencies?

I’d rather be certified as an EMT—with the knowledge, you are more able to improvise the equipment. The equipment w/out the knowledge may end up with you causing more harm than help.

Even though I like coffee more than tea, tea itself has medical uses (black and herbal), so for versatility, I’d got with tea.

Okay, would you rather have:

A barn

Or

A pasture.

Have a dehydrator, need a Pressure Canner

I need O2 absorbers

I'd take the root cellar, have a generator already.

I'd take the wood stove—

Goat or cow .... We are allergic to milk, so they would only be meat and the cow would be more meat, so probably the cow.

creek or well. The creek has more wildlife potential, and I live in an area called 7 lakes in the rainy northwest, so water is not really a problem as long as you have a filter.

My DH has a handgun, so a rifle and shooting/cleaning lessons.

I'd take the oats,

I'd rather have backpacks for BoBs, since they're easier to carry on foot, if needed.

Having lived in both the mountains and the plains, I could be happy in either place as long as I had a bit of land to myself, thinking of those wide open plains back east (we live in Puget Sound) I might choose the plains.

I'd take the ax, because it's also usable for self defense and other needs.

Solar.they have gotten really sensitive lately.

I'd take the orchard—. And better for trade/ selling, keeps the vitamin C up, helps to stay healthy,,,

a greenhouse would be fabulous! Especially to help extend the growing season. . .

Hand operated grinder—good for power outages.

Treadle sewing machine, and the canning jars and lids, since neither is especially dependant on the grid.

I'd go for the seeds

Quilt—it can be modified if needed into a cloak, or hung on the wall as a tapestry or curtain (to insulate a room), or placed on the floor to help there. .

camper,,, I know, harder to move, takes alot of gas, but we already have a good tent.Comfort has to count for something...

A good how to do it or wildcrafting book.

Well, I would rather have an extra adult,

I would take the bunnies, they multiply fast and have warm fur. Besides, we are allergic to poultry and eggs...

I'll go for the compost toilet—I think it would help our dirt be more productive with the planting.

I'd choose the oil lamps.I already have a cabinet full of emergency candles.

doesn't really matter, I have both.

It would depend on where and with whom.... I think I would rather stay here though.

how about a crank HAM radio? Hmm. probably go for the crank since it doesn't need the generator to run...

I have the N-95 masks, so I'll take the 50 gallon barrel

$50 to get more supplies, not sure which store though...

I'd rather have the TP—much more essential

I'd go for Burn Barrell,

I'd take the deer stand—

We have a ton of ACV so I would choose bleach.

Allergic to yeast, so that would be out for us.

Have a basement, so an acre of flat, cleared land (in addition to the 3 we currently have) would be great.

DH has a gun and knows what to do with it, so knives.

Tub, can be used for other things besides bathing...

I'm a real dog person.

I have both already.

Buck knife, for versatility.

the encyclopedia

I'll take the old person with the info.

I'm a big girl, so loosing 25lbs would be better than gaining the food. It would put me in better health.

We've a little forest in our yard, so wood is plentiful. More propane is good, though.

Learn to make moccasins—protect the feet!If I could make moccasins, I am sure I could transfer that knowledge to make a cap of some sort, maybe from the afore mentioned rabbit skins....

Make soap.

on the coffee, , I'd choose the bag of raw beans. easy to roast ourselves and green beans can be planted and eventually harvested.

I'd choose wildcrafting.

Well, my dog is fabulous, we really love her, she is a family member, but she is also getting very old and has lived a good life. It would be hard, but I would choose to rescue the person unless I knew that he was trying to harm us or steal our supplies,,,,

I'd rather be certified as an EMT—

Even though I like coffee more than tea, tea itself has medical uses (black and herbal), so for versatility, I'd got with tea.

[/size]

I think I would choose a pasture over a barn. If needed I could try to build a shelter in the field later, but the field would mean more room to grow what I need and even possibly land to have another family stay with us and work together,,, for example, my ex-husband lives in town, and as much as I enjoy being his ex- it would be good to have him nearby, he has some knowledge/skills/strength and the girls would enjoy having him nearby, but for me, not in the same house...

Would you rather have bikes for the family or a horse and cart?

• 1 month later...

Would you rather have bikes for the family or a horse and cart?

That was a good question and one worth answering. :)

I'd HAVE to go with the horse and cart...or wagaon maybe? we're a sizable family.

NEXT Question....let's make is holiday oriented.

Would you rather have.......

A set of McGuffey Readers???

or

A kit to learn how to Whittle Wood ???

Under your tree when you wake up Christmas Morning????

Well, since I don't whittle and I'm a teacher, I'd take the McGuffey's in a heartbeat.

Which would you rather have?

A good pair of work gloves or long underwear? :)

Hn. I'd go for the gloves-- I can sew rather decently, so in a pinch I could take care of the undies. But gloves are more troublesome, especially once you start working with leather. And they can ware out quickly if you use them alot, so extras are always good.

Okies. . . I'll try to stick with the Holiday inspiration:

Would you rather a:

One Horse Open Sleigh (horse included! And, of course, the (removable) jingle bells!)

or

One-year supply chestnuts (to roast on an open fire, naturally.)

Oh, this is a GREAT thread! I'm glad to see it revived.

I'd take the wood whittling information - so I could make useful things. We already have LOTS of books and now both my kids are accomplished readers.

I'd take the work gloves because long underwear can be replicated by layering clothing. Work gloves need to fit well to allow dexterity in tasks.

Sleigh or chestnuts...why, I just don't know. A sleigh and a horse could be quite useful, but how am I gonna feed a horse. Besides it doesn't snow much here... Chestnuts, well, I really don't know if I like them, but I suppose - if nothing else - they could be ground into flour to add protein and calories to baked goods. I guess I'd take the chestnuts.

Hmmm....next question...

Would you rather have Twelve dozen canning jars or Ten big fat turkeys?

(reference to http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38127)

Hmmmm...that is a tough one for me. I probably have between 300-500 canning jars waiting to be filled and we're not huge turkey eaters. I'll go for the jars since I can fill them with other food.

Which would you rather have, a backhoe or a four-wheel drive truck?

:wormie2:

John

Which would you rather have, a backhoe or a four-wheel drive truck?

:wormie2:

John

Ohhhhhh, boy, now we're talking!! I like the way you think John!!

I'd take the BACK HOE!!! :thumbs:

Nest Question -

A Year's Worth of Professional Dog Training

OR

A year's worth of Veteninary Services???

• 4 weeks later...

ok--i would choose the chickens--i can figure out how to do a root cellar on my own

would you rather have...

a lake full of fish within walking distance of your home

or

a freezer full of venison

PLEASE... Let's not get into choosing people who come *here* for whatever reason. I know you mean well, Michael, but this is a great way to "start something". :(

Let's try it this way...

(I KNOW they're passed on already, but...)

You get to spend the day with and learn a ton of stuff from :

Euell Gibbons

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euell_Gibbons )

stalker of wild asparagus and natural foods advocate

or

Daniel Boone

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Boone )

pioneer, hunter, survivalist extraordinaire

Archived