MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A Game of Choices

Stephanie

We live in a 1920's house and they have the smallest closets. As annoying as it is, I've been okay for years. I'd definitely take the pantry, in fact, I'm having one built now. :) I'll post photos as it's finished. :thumbs:

Based on my life this week, what would you rather have -

A box full of different antibiotics, medicines, bandages, surgical supplies, etc (with a PDR, instructions and dosage levels, etc.) AND some herbs & vitamins (and herb books, etc.) :fever:

or

A set of "Raising Your Own Livestock" books that includes everything from chickens to pigs to horses to cattle, etc. :happy0203:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather have the box full of medical supplies, etc. I think those would be harder to get if TSHTF. We already have beef cattle and family members who raise chickens and pigs, so the meds would be more benificial to me.

Would you rather have a generator hooked up to the well to pump water, or a hand pump attached to your well?

Good one, Fullpantry!

The generator would have more uses like the house lights, freezer, etc BUT....it's dependent on on fuel.

So I'd choose the handpump. [not sure handpump would work IRL on our deeep wells here tho... :shrug: ]

=======

Would you chose a box of 8 emergency candles or....

A Dietz lantern and 1 gallon of fuel?

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Lamps___Light...l=&sort_by=

MtRider [matches included with both... ;) ]

• 3 weeks later...

Since I already have several cast iron skillets, I'd take the stainless steel one. I hate doing anything tomato-based in my cast iron, it ruins the seasoning!!

I didn't look carefully at the other pages, so I hope I don't repeat something!

Would you rather have:

1 bred milk cow

or

3 bred milk goats?

a backpack water purifier definitely...

Oh, and 3 bred milk goats...

ok,would you prefer to open your house and pantry to some family members you love but could be of little to no help and would make more work,,, but you love them,,,,(say elderly handicapped members)

or

a set of friends who are not family, but could be of help with the daily chores....

I would have to choose family because of Biblical admonition to take care of them. We know that we will have to take care of my parents when things go south and as much as we try to get them to, they don't have anything long term in storage. The upside is that the elderly and handicapped, because they are less active, don't eat as much as very active people.

If you had to choose between 2 books which would you choose:

Where There Is No Doctor

or

Where There Is No Dentist?

Since this is Sunday Feb. 7 I just had to do it!

So which one would you pick?

A case of your favorite soup?

Or

A set of stacking cooking bowls?

* * * So your choose is soup or bowls and seeing it is Sunday………..

wait for it............. wait ........... OK

That makes it soup-or-bowls-Sunday!

SORRY

:AmishMichael2:

PS by the way I would pick the book Where there is no Doctor as you would need that one more then the other one?

:008Laughing:

Michael!! You are too funny! That was great!

And since I never seem to have enough bowls...I'll take the BOWLS! :D

I love this game, it really makes me think, plus the truth is we do have to make choices when we are prepping, this or that, now or later, etc...

Soooo.... the Next Question!!!

Which Fiber Art would you most like to be accomplished in????

KNITTING

OR

CROCHET

I'm in the process of learning (and loving) both....I LOVE being a Fiber Artist (or a wannabe student of the same).

Oh Michael..... That was a good one. :laughkick:

I'll take the soup!

And knitting, Steph.

If you could get realllly good at knitting ONE THING ONLY....

:knit:

do you want to knit great sox or

.....sweaters?

MtRider [ I SO want to - NEED TO learn sox. I run sock heels out like disposable kleenex. :rolleyes: ]

• 11 months later...

A whole year has passed since we played our game!! Wow!!

To answer your last question MtRider....

I would like to be really good at knitting SOCKS!!! That seems very challenging to me. :)

So, now it is my turn....and seeing as I just got my spinning wheel.......:D

[size="4"Would you rather........

Have a few sheep for wool ?

OR

Llamas??][/size]

We've had both and I love both but I'd take sheep. Our llamas die because of a parasite they get from the feces of white tailed deer that come through the pasture.

In a book I read or listened to a meteorite struck the earth. The mother of the family knew she only had so long before the SHTF. She took her children to Wal-Mart to get all she could stock up on. Wal-Mart was taking cash only and I think it was $50 for a cart full. She had enough money for a number of carts but here we only have enough for 1 cart.

Would you buy..............

Flour

Sugar

Yeast

OR would you buy canned

Meats

Fruits

Veggies

Edited to add: After that book, which I read/listened to last summer I still try figuring things out on nights when I can't fall asleep. I think to myself, I'll send this child to this town to get this and this. I'll send another to another town to get this and that. I'll go to another town etc. This of course is if there's enough time and presence of mind like the lady in the book had. I wouldn't want 4 of us to go in to a store and fill carts like crazy people for others to notice. I thought I'd tell my kids that if someone asked just say something like, "we're having a week long family get together and mom's having me do this shopping". As they say it calmly they can raise their eyebrows and kind of shake your head.....you know, like your kids do to you all the time! :) Not too much explaining, just a calm statement and on about your business.

WOW!

you are so right.............................. I miss it too

Thanks for the bump!

now BACK to the game...............................

This is a hard one seeing I can grind my own Flour, do without Sugar, and I know there is a way to make Yeast?

but-

Meats , Fruits and Veggies maybe harder to get ?

BUT- they will go bad faster?

so I guess if it is going to be a long haul until things are steady I go with the flour,sugar, yeast as that has a much longer shelf life.

Man THAT hurt my brian trying to figure out.

Thanks.

PS I also remember reading that story....................... where was it?

I've got a lot of catching up to do... I want to crochet really well... I want to be able to make socks... I would have chosen the llamas, but our area is overrun with deer so I guess I'll take the sheep...AND I want flour, sugar and canned meat! I think that we would be at a greater risk of running out of those things since we just stocked up on yeast yesterday!

OOOPS!

I was so happy to see it back I forgot.:beat_deadhorse:

OK here we go..................................

would you pick a freezer or canner and all that goes with each one?

Like bags and plastic wrap for freezer adn canning jars ad rings, eyc. for the canner?

PS remember last year when I did the soup or bowls for the Big Game?

well this weekend they are back!

I think the name of the book is, Life As We Knew It". There's 3 in the series and they're middle school age. I've only read the 1st.

YES! that was it...................

One Of the best books I have read in a long time- AND I read a lot of books!

You HAVE to get the other two and read them as well They fit so nice together....... you'll see.

Then You got to read the Hunger Games and the others that go with it as well. YA so a quick read but DON"T start it if you have to put it down to do something? Because that something will not get done! LOL

Hmmmmmm..... A gallon of gas or milk huh?

I'd have to go for the gas, as I have no way to produce fuel nor any 'dehydrated' gasoline.

I do have a decent stor of powdered milk and milk goats. :D

YES! I remember the Soup-or-Bowl question! ha ! :grinning-smiley-044:

Now......hmmmmm , let's see..... :sEm_blush:

Would you choose......

Being able to run very fast for one mile without being winded????

OR

Being albe to walk ten miles at a steady pace without being winded???

(Looking forward to the answers to this choice and hearing your logic behind your choice)

I would go for the run. I believe that if I can run a mile without being winded I should be able to walk 10 miles with no problem and being fleet of foot can come in handy.

Hmmmmmmm...let me think.

Would you rather have a well or a creek on your property?

:wormie2:

John

good one......................

OK I think a creek

a well would work fpr water and maybe keeping things cold (drop a bucket with food in it?)

and you could haul water up , heat it for bathing and cooking?

But a creek can do alll that and it pretty too.

So creek it is for me.

so would you rather have:

24 hours notice that TSHTF

or

24 pounds of gold? can't think of anything 24 to go with notice sorry.

Hmmmmmm..... A gallon of gas or milk huh?

I'd have to go for the gas, as I have no way to produce fuel nor any 'dehydrated' gasoline.

I do have a decent stor of powdered milk and milk goats. :D

YES! I remember the Soup-or-Bowl question! ha ! :grinning-smiley-044:

Now......hmmmmm , let's see..... :sEm_blush:

Would you choose......

Being able to run very fast for one mile without being winded????

OR

Being albe to walk ten miles at a steady pace without being winded???

(Looking forward to the answers to this choice and hearing your logic behind your choice)

depends on WHO is chasing me! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Archived