MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Mt_Rider

WITHOUT WARNING - Mentoring Others Quickly

WITHOUT WARNING - Mentoring Others Quickly

OK...Here’s the Scenario....... [suggested and requested by The MacKinnon :hug3: ]

You get a knock at the door or a phone call. It’s one you’ve wanted to get but... A loved one(s) is standing there with a stricken, deer-in-the-headlights look in their eyes. Or ....over the phone you hear the panic.

They GET IT....FINALLY.....They want to know what to do to prepare for Hard Times. They’ve probably heard from you before and weren’t ready to believe, listen, act. Suddenly, NOW they need to know it ALL.

But you sense that little time is left. What if Hooey Hits Fan within the month? [Why Oh WHY couldn’t they have listened sooner????? ] So you need to advise them on how to set up wisely....and very quickly. Naturally, they don’t have the resources to spent a fortune. “Are we too late?” they ask you.

Maybe this is a young neighbor couple with those two adorable kiddos that you are so fond of. More likely, you can think of a family member(s) that you desperately wish would “Get It”. But make this UNreality Scenario real..... :laughkick: OK, I counterdict myself...but you know what I mean. Give it the emotional 'reality' by actually choosing real people in your own lives to use in this practice exercise.

Now the answers on wise choices will be a bit different due to the circumstances of your chosen “Get It” people. But we can brainstorm [one more time.....yes, we’ve all done this many times... ] and IF these folks dear to you in your real life EVER DO ASK THE QUESTION “What can we do now?” ......you will be prepared to give an answer quickly. In fact, you probably should write out and print out your answers for future reference. :pc_coffee:

So there you have it:

---You sense they might have as little as 30 days to prepare. [NO, we don’t *know* that we only have that much time....it’s simply a way to agitate your brain to simulate how to think under pressure. One of my Unreality Scenario mental practice techniques...LOL ]

---Choose someone you really know and would love to mentor in preparing what they can even in a last minute rush.

---They might be close enough to share your grain grinder or there might be half the Pacific Ocean between you. You decide who it is and this will change how you answer.

--They might already be in a rural or making-their-own-bread type of lifestyle [they're just not yet Preparing for Hard Times] ....OR they might be up to their necks in consumerism, debt, and useless ‘toys’. Or anywhere in between. Again, who you chose will change how you answer.

1) --What do you advise as priority?

2) --How do you advise so that they get the best/most for their limited money?

3) --How do you advise considering that some things might not be available so quickly right now?

4) -- How would you advise regarding things that will likely take more than 30 days but...maybe, just maybe there will be time enough....WHAT other things should they do IF they have more time?

5) --What else would be challenging about this? [like...how NOT to keep saying “I told you so” ;) ]

****NOTE: Please take precautions when talking about REAL loved ones. Don’t reveal too much about their identity on this open board. You know what I mean.

And.... LOL ... don’t say anything you wouldn’t want them to read if one day this actually happened and some of your advice is: Go Join Mrs. S!!!! ;)

MtRider [....knowing several examples that I will likely run thru this Scenario ....just to be ready for the day they might ask.....and getting it down on paper this time. ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

unfortunately, I think a more realistic scenario is that the "loved one" has waited until AFTER the SHTF, before "getting it."

Mose's neighbors still mocked him as the rain fell. It was only when they were waist deep they figured "maybe this guy knows something we don't."

Having a bunch of shiny new gear is better than nothing, but you can't replace the experience of using it.

How many have ever used a fire extinguisher when there wasn't a fire? Sure - HAVING one is a good start - but nothing beats having used one before the fire starts.

Fire Drills can be an inconvenience, but have you ever practiced evacuating yourself and your kids while blindfolded? Because with the power out and the halls full of smoke, and fear and panic overriding rational thought, you revert to what you have practiced. 5 steps right 4 steps left, 10 steps feel first door, one more feel second door, etc.

Preparedness is a lifestyle. Trying to learn everything is like trying to lose 20 pounds in a week. It took more than a week to put it on, and it will take more than a week to take it off.

Sure - we should help others prepare, but when the time comes, I am going to close the door on some people who just don't get it. My Kid's mom is going to be the worst - I have to take her in or my daughter will go crazy, but she is the epitome of the "someone else will take care of me" mentality. (One of the many reasons we're no longer together).

unfortunately, I think a more realistic scenario is that the "loved one" has waited until AFTER the SHTF, before "getting it."

All you say is true and good points but..........but it wasn't the UNreality Scenario that was requested and it wasn't the one that I presented. Both Scenarios will happen....are happening. New people are 'Getting It" every single day. Just take a look at the explosive growth on this board. More will hold out until "the water is waist deep". So? Well....maybe you missed the whole purpose of these UNreality Scenarios?

These are ALL set up for mental practice. They are supposed to be UNreality Scenarios.....despite that the fact that a number of them have been coming true.. ;) ] If you haven't, go back and read the initial paragraph from the first ones for the explanation of WHY we do some of these that might never happen.... And why parts of them are 'set-ups' ....not for the reality or probability but for the way it engages the emotions of the one who wants to use this method to practice *thinking* in alternatives. If you prefer other methods of practicing flexibility of your mind... :shrug: that would be fine too. Anyone can post Scenarios.

By the way....closing the door on your 'ark' is one answer. God did that for Noah. It won't be everyone's answer but probably all of us will have to close the door on someone.

MtRider

Edited by Mt_Rider

I am aware of the mental exercise aspects. Open-ended questions don't always get pat answers. Be patient.

I am in exactly this position right now.

A friend who lives on the east coast is trying to get 'ready" before this fall. They've done well with one aspect of prep...actually two. REALLY well. In those areas they are much better prepared than I am. Oh! Three areas....they bought about $400 worth of seed...but they don't garden. At least if they can get to me, I can use the seed for them. lol

But they need to deal with the food issue. They don't cook. They aren't really interested in cooking, but are willing to learn under the circumstances. And they know nothing at all about nutrition. Fast foods, meals out, freezer foods....that's how this family has always eaten.

Phew!

I've presented a number of options, none of which are really practical for the short time in which they want to be prepared. They have the dollars, more or less. But since they have little experience cooking, ordering online is wasteful in my opinion.

So we set up 3 scenarios in which they might need food when there is nothing available outside their home. The scenarios cover 2 weeks, 3 weeks, and 45-60 days.

Now we are needing to set up menus for breakfast, lunch, and dinner...or breakfast and dinner...and then make a shopping list of things they can actually make.

First Aid...same thing.

It is SO hard to set up long term at the last minute. Seriously, you have to go from 24 hours (BOB) to 72 hours to 1 week etc etc when folks wait till the last minute. It's *very* stressful on me, trying to help, worrying about them...but it's got to be at least twice as hard on my friends.

I've got her in mind.

Buy all the cheap rice, sugar, flour, shortening, grits, cornmeal, popcorn (BULK--NOT MICROWAVE), peanut butter, jelly, raisins, oatmeal, vinegar, and spaghetti noodles you can afford. I don't mean one container of each. Buy powdered milk, Butter Buds, salt, pepper, and powdered potatoes too. Buy your favorite kind of dry beans, at least 10 lbs. Whichever kind of dry beans you find on sale this week, buy ten pounds of that too. Here's a printout with some recipes.

The bent can store has Prego on sale. Buy all you can.

Buy vitamins. They're at the top of the shelf closest to the cash register at the bent can store.

Buy three months' bleach, bath soap, dish soap, sunscreen, butt-wipes, Vaseline, baby powder, and toilet paper. Buy one month ahead on the diapers, if you can. Here's a printout on how to make and clean cloth diapers.

Buy three months of feminine hygiene.

Buy three to six of the big bottles of peroxide.

Buy three or four pounds of Epsom's salts.

Buy extra socks and cotton gloves.

Buy nicotine chewing gum for when he can't lay hands on the smokes. It's $14 at the bent can store.

Get three ounces or more of sprouting seeds and a three-set of sprouting lids. Here, have three jars for them. Here's a printout on what to use.

Grab all the canning jars and lids you can lay hands on. You can come here and use the pressure canner all you want.

Here, have two hens. They've just started laying and will keep laying until after Halloween, maybe as late as Thanksgiving. They'll start up again in February or so. Here's a printout on what will kill them.

Get a couple of 50-lb bags of deer corn at Wal-Mart. Soak the corn a couple of days and feed it as mash--that's a lot easier than grinding it. Don't tell ANYONE where you got the hens.

Have a printout on hammering a well. In your neighborhood, a hammered well will work. Danny has the material you need. Here's a printout on getting water from it. Here's a printout on cleaning it.

Buy a jar each of cold medicine, Acetaminophen, caffiene pills, and antacids.

Buy needles and strong thread.

Buy one big bag of Jungle Growth potting soil. Here's some seed and growing instructions.

Edited by Ambergris

First thoughts....

"Yes, it's too late!"

"Sell everything you can, buy beans and bullets, run for the hills!"

"I can't help you right now, as I'm up to my eyeballs trying to help myself!"

"Get on the computer and do a search on preparedness, that is exactly how I did it!"

OKAY! I got that out of my system!! Now, I'll behave! B)

Seriously,the biggest challenge of this particular scenario is choosing the person. I'm also having trouble visualizing a person suddenly getting it. What I mean is, usually it happens in steps...not that this couldn't happen, but I'm having to exercise my brain beyond what I consider the 'norm'. This of course is a good thing! ;)

I'll be back after I've picked my person and given some thought to the time frame and the chosen crisis as well....better make some coffee! :D

There's something interesting about the ark Noah was commanded to build. Up until the moment God shut the door in order to protect all those on board, anybody was free to enter in. I don't recall there being any requirement that they arrive with several month's worth of food, clothing and tools to rebuild the post-flood world.

We use the ark as an example and motivator to get people prepping, but we need to remember what the ark represents in the Bible. It is an example of God providing protection, or salvation to all who wish to escape punishment for disobedience to God. Salvation is provided to any who will recieve it, but no one deserves it. No one earned it. It was through God's grace alone that we can enjoy it if we choose.

We must remember that God is merciful, and he expects no less from us. Of course, he also expects us to be wise. We are not to throw our pearls to the swine. If we live our lives in constant open fellowship with God, He will reveal to us who we should and should not invest our precious time and energy on.

Just be prepared for the possibility that the very one you would dismiss as being hopeless could be the one God commands you to help.

When I started thinking about the people in my life who live close to me, I realized most are only one generation removed from living more off-the-land and having useful survival skills. We live in a semi-rural area that has only begun to be built up in the past 15 years or so. Many still have their parents or other family members living on the family farm, though, the land is mostly being used for haying by others. No real homesteading going on.

Unfortunately, these people will not be sharp in their skills, but there will be many mentors available to them, at least until that last generation with the knowledge passes on. Of course, time will be their number one enemy. Finances will be second. Many are living beyond their means. All I can do is tell them about the internet sites to go to. Those that I would feel comfortable having over to my home could be taught how to garden and preserve food, and raise chickens.

I've already found one woman to mentor in chickens. She started her first flock this year and her husband built her the greatest coop I've ever seen. I'm already getting them ready to make the next step in gardening. They have quite a pile of coop litter piling up and I keep telling them how great it would be in a garden. Maybe next year.

One key question, I think, is "What do you have CURRENTLY?" Isn't there a sticky post around here somewhere reminding people that the stuff they already have in their house can be counted toward "preps," that we have more than we think?

You have a grill? Great! Stock up on fuel for it. Better yet, build a "decorative firepit" if you can. A dutch oven or two can come in handy as well.

What kind of winter clothes do you have? Got a good winter set from that ski vacation last year? Wonderful; just make sure you have a good set of winter/work boots with that; if not, Tractor Supply tends to run sales on good stuff.

Water filtration? That faucet filter is a good start; this Katadyn thingy can be stashed in a closet and hidden till needed. Got a dark corner in the basement? Google "Big Berkey." No, you don't wanna just get a bunch of those cheap plastic gallon jugs of water; I ruined a storage cabinet that way once.

What sort of food do you have in your pantry? Are those raw ingredients good still? Hmm, no bugs, here's some recipes to learn how to use them. Cook using these right now; use your current grocery list and whatever you can spare toward these handy lists...ummm, you may want to go to the grocery stores the next town over, and pay CASH. And spread the purchases between stores.

Meanwhile, if you're buying lots of flour and rice, you may want to get those moth traps from the Gardens Alive catalog. And put your flour and rice in the freezer as you free up room... while you're at Gardens Alive, look at the nifty bug fighting stuff they have for the garden that you WILL plant, oh and here's some "heirloom seed" catalog sites too....

Even that Madza Miata or the little Honda motorcycle as "toys" in the garage can prove valuable transporation if gas spikes.

Got a German Shepherd or Rottie? Wonderful; you're ahead of the game there. Stock up on the dog food and bins to put it in.

Most of my family has decent means and could "spend up" for preps; the big hurdle with them is convincing them to take the, um, "security measures" needed to protect themselves and their stuff.

I already told her what to do and she says "the boys eat it all as fast as i bring it home." (I told her to put it in the closet under the stairs and lock it. She hasnt though.) They are in debt up to their eyeballs against my advice. If she asks what I think I'm going to say she just needs to do as I already told her, though I think it is nearly too late now. They can't come here, it is too far away. I expect they will go to his folks when they lose the house. I'll likely end up with close family here any road and there is not much room already.

OK, I'm ranting. It is just sooooooo frustrating!

If is is too late to clear debt they might have to just quit paying and try to file bankrupt. That means they lose those new vehicles but first they should go to th feed store and stock up on corn and wheat, and go to Sam's and get as much as they can with the cash they have. Prob too late to sell much to get $ to buy stores. They have a garden, but aren't gardeners and don't expect much from it. He hunts, but is rarely successful. They need to start eating rice and beans, instead of convenience foods, ha! I think they are going to starve first.

This is making me really depressed. I really care about these friends.

Okay, I picked my person, after much thought. She is who I would consider one of the most unlikely people to actually 'get it', so I'm choosing her. ;)

She is single, no children, just turned 30, just starting her career as a nurse and just moving into her own apartment in a few weeks. She's making good money and feeling foot loose and fancy free. I'm sure she feels confidant in her job security and she is very busy deciding on color schemes and decorating for her soon to be new abode. The last thing she wants is extra food around the house as she is trying to lose weight.

Because she is a Christian, I'm going to say that she begins to feel some little nudges to start being more of a Proverbs 31 woman. This leads to some Bible study and much prayer because she's always really thought that applied to married women or mothers of children, and she is at this point neither.

In this situation, if she were to contact me for some guidance, after recovered from he shock, here is what I would say.

• Create a BOB or GHB and keep it with you at all times
  • Create a 72 hour tub for you and your parents
  • DO NOT by anything (else) on credit
  • Talk you parents into getting some chickens, they have a few acres
  • Take a class and purchase a personal handgun, learn to use it and clean it.
  • Always keep your gas tank full so if the car can be driven, you can make it to your parents
  • Start eating dried beans 3x's a week, experiment
  • Buy lots of extra canning jars and ask your mom to teach you to can
  • Start to eat oatmeal at least three times a week
  • Ask your dad to set up rain collection barrels at their place
  • Buy some water storage containers (like the stackable boxes) for your apartment
  • Buy some rechargable solar flashlights for your place
  • Buy some canned meats that you like and will eat until you learn to can your own
  • Buy flats of heat and eat meals in a can (like Ravioli)
  • Buy flats of assorted cans of vegetables
  • Buy flats of canned milk and boxes of powedered milk
  • Buy a large amount of pasta and rice (learn to store it properly)
  • Don't forget sugar, salt and seasonings.

I'll stop there, after all, it's only 30 days. :)

Thank you, Homemaker, for your post on Noah's Ark. Some of us are going to have that perspective and heart. But I'll bet anything, we will still need to be reminded when it gets really scary!!

Man, if they don't have a start on some of this, or serious funds to acquire stuff, I don't know how they could get on track enough to make a dent. I played with several options and got frustrated with them all. There are so many variables to factor in: location, finances, physical condition and age, among many.

So my friend, who is not a sheeple but has been caring for her terminally ill sister (who died last fall) and her 2 boys (my friend's nephews), can finally come up for air and asked me about getting started. She asked me this question after acknowledging that things looked serious and that she realized there may not be much time:

"Ok. I'm going to dedicate 30 days to working on preps. Right now I can budget $2500 dollars toward it. My most pressing concern is water, then food. Shelter is provided assuming we don't have to leave. I can trade some cash for gold or silver. I have some weapons. Now what?"

She lives in a drought stricken region so water is going to be a problem. She has a well, though, but it's problematic. She's ordered a Berkey and a back packing water filter for smaller jobs. I told her to order a couple of starter sets from LDS to have some long term grain and beans. She ordered a canner and there are lots of farms in the area, but who knows what will become of them in a crisis? She's ordered some heirloom seeds and is researching how to protect them for up to 3 years, if possible (she found a source on line that claims they have just the thing). So within another couple of weeks, she'll have some good equipment and she's already stocked on sewing and needle art supplies (and she's good at them) including knitting. So she has skills she can put to good use for herself and others.

But although her funds are far more substantial than most, she knows that she could lose those assets if the right situation brews up. So she's quite willing to being to trade her cash for tangibles, like 'beans, bullets and band-aids' and some gold and silver.

This "Without Warning" scenario is a very sobering reality check. If one only has 30 days to prepare and doesn't have the money to do it - it's just too late.

Does anyone remember the thread that someone posted [sorry I can't remember exactly who posted... :( ] about getting a years supply of VERY BASIC nutrients with a bunch of corn and some...this and that. [i remember cuz corn does not agree with me but have thot of how basic I could go with another grain.]

This was something that could be purchased with very little investment. BUT....it is just barely above the nutrient-starvation line. Once in place, it could AND SHOULD be augmented with lots more variety. But if you ran outta time....and money.... :shrug: it's certainly better to be dealing with huge 'food fatigue' issues than with 'NO FOOD' issues.

MtRider [.....quite inept at finding our wonderful older posts... :rolleyes: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

:hug3: Thanks CGA. I *thot* you might have brought that thread to us originally, but didn't remember completely.

MtRider [hmph! I DID look in Budget & Storage plans Forum! I did! ;) ....hopeless at searching.... ]

Ohhhh.....for more reading time!!!

Great thread link! Thanks Trish! It is already answering some questions I had about corn.

And thanks for the LDS booklet link as well Gunplumber that this is loaded with info!

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=77184 here is a man who needs a reality check!!! he's late for the party!!!

I think there are going to be a lot of converts after the "bad thing" happens, and they will be banging on your door, asking (or demanding) that you take care of them. You must be prepared with how to deal with them. Some may not take no for an answer and may need to be shot. Others may have a valuable skill to exchange - although their technical value is greatly diminished by their demonstrated character defect. Finally, there will be like minded people who got caught outside their home base, or driven out, and can't get back.

Roll-playing now the decisions you may have to make, instead of "I don't want to think about it" may prepare you to say "no" and back it up with the barrel of a rifle, knowing you probably just sentenced that person to death.

I have two people (ok one person, and one couple) that popped to mind with this.

The first lives in an area that would become very, very dangerous in a full TSHF scenario. For her, I would help her create a BOB and prep her vehicle with slightly longer terms supplies. Then help her plan/prepare caches at different bug out locations, dependent on where she wants to bug out to. Sit down and help her prepare routes that would get her where she was going while keeping her far out of the city. Last resort route (because she would prefer to be with family) being to get to my brother's house, then to mine. Why mine? Because I wouldn't mind having her around to help survive a SHTF scenario, and neither would my brother. While she doesn't actively have any of our skills, she's fabulous with kids and has a willingness/ability to learn quickly. The biggest problem would be self defense. Not that she has a problem with weapons, but that she would not have the money to obtain anything beyond knife/sword/pistol crossbow. She would have to make some hard decisions about where to go and who to trust.

The second, the couple, I would help create a food stash. Their house is of sufficient size to be able to hide the stash easily. Then have them find and renew all the basic camp equipment they have scattered. And the guns (and get ammo). They're backyard is privacy fenced, and large, so I would have them put in perennial edibles (raspberry, blackberry, other berries, fruit trees, asparagus) and get seed. The HOA says anything not visible from the road is allowed, so we would probably get chickens, ducks, rabbits. Help them plan security for the house/yard. While he's in the security field, he's used to high tech solutions, and I'd have to pass on the low tech stuff. For them it wouldn't take much to get them there in 30 days once they put their mind to it. They've been their before, when they had kids in the home. Now that it's just them again, they've gone to the "immediate gratification" lifestyle. But there are remnants, they just have to be found and organized. They have dangers though. They're on a main commuter route from the nearby city. And in a subdivision where neighbors are close by. Some of those neighbors are acquaintances who would demand help, some friends who would ask/expect help. And the houses are of a size that people who have family members with financial problems have already started taking in additional people. They would have to be very careful, and highly security conscious, to remain in place.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.