MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Crazy4Canning

Fresh Eggs

So, I've hard boiled my first few eggs. They were not stone cold when I peeled them, they were lukewarm. The shell didn't peel easily, it took chunks of white with it. So, no deviled eggs this time, they will be egg salad.

Is this something I did or were the eggs too new? Any thoughts?

Older eggs peel better than fresh eggs because of the air pockets that form as the eggs age. I've found that peeling boiled fresh eggs when they are still hot and getting a good hold of the membrane between the egg and shell are helpful.

Too fresh will do that. Run under cold water while peeling can help, too. They peel easier when warm for me.

When I make egg salad, I grate the eggs on the grater. Faster than trying to dice or mash up.

Too new as others have said; also getting air space or a little water under the membrane will help pop the shell off.

Mine need to be at least a week old, preferably older than that.

Alrighty then. I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. :)

See, I'm learning new things all the time.

Bored? Me? Never! :)

I have a carton labelled "To be boiled" and it jot down the date on it. I wait at least two weeks to hard boil them.

By the way, I recently tried poaching eggs. DELISH!!!

So glad to be able to help you out since you have shared so much info with me. This works. I have tried it. Key words: baking soda and ice water--enjoy!

Hey GirlieNextDoor,

You know that because you sent this to me, I have to try it, right?

:24::24::24:

Yet another thing to teach my nephew. He loves peeling eggs. He's going to love this even more.

Hmmm. I think I have more eggs. I'm going to try this and let you know how it turns out. You are aware that I will try this WITH the baking soda AND without. We must have a control, after all. :P

Never show something this fun to a teacher. Did you see the similar youtube vid of a Japanese kid trying this and the Aussie couple "Becca and the boiled egg"? They were both hilarious.

here is what we do when we need 'farm fresh' hard boiled eggs-

put COLD water in pan with eggs

bring to rolling boil then cover and take off stove

let rest (in water)for 22 - 24 minutes in pan

then drain off water and rinse eggs a few times with cold water

when a bit cool -

* put a bit of cold water in pan and with cover on shake the eggs around in the pan

the shells will 'crack' into little pieces that will be easy to peel. The water gets under the 'shell' and helps peel it away from the egg.

*another hint -

if you want 'deviled eggs'

after you make up the mix put it into a 'baggie' and twist close. cut a small corner off (very small) then use it as a cake icing bag to fill each egg half.

Looks pretty and works well if you are doing a lot at one time.

enjoy.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.