MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Family History Tips

Purdy Bear

Iv decided to go back and do some more on my family history. Iv gone back to about 1880 so far, and have had about a years break. I dont know about everyone else, I find it quite emotional.

Do any of you have any tips youv learnt over the years?

1. Use graph paper to put the heirarchical charts on. Do it in pencil first then use a fine pen to go over once confirmed.

2. Ask the family members, but get the information confirmed by certificate. One family member said one of my relatives was married in Basingstoke, which they werent - it took me ages to find the right one.

3. Dont order the certificate until you pretty sure its the right one or you'll build up costs.

Thanks

Purdy, there is a great site with charts you can print out or actually type up online and then print out. It's at http://www.misbach.org . I've posted it here before, but here's the link for you. Look over to your left for the 'free charts' click on that and then you'll see the charts you can use, including the pdf format that you can fill out on line and print out. Really nice.

I've been working on my family. Got both sides back to 1800 except for one Irish immigrant great grandmother. She just appears in Kane County Il to marry my great grandfather in 1869. Since she died in 1912, before death certificates were required, there isn't one for her that might identify her parents. Death certificates are generally pretty good, but obviously the birth certificates are best, but good luck finding them prior to about 1910!

You are right about confirming as much as possible prior to sending out for the certificates; it does get expensive, but sometimes that's the only way to get at the truth!

Iv decided to go back and do some more on my family history. Iv gone back to about 1880 so far, and have had about a years break. I dont know about everyone else, I find it quite emotional.

Do any of you have any tips youv learnt over the years?

1. Use graph paper to put the heirarchical charts on. Do it in pencil first then use a fine pen to go over once confirmed.

2. Ask the family members, but get the information confirmed by certificate. One family member said one of my relatives was married in Basingstoke, which they werent - it took me ages to find the right one.

3. Dont order the certificate until you pretty sure its the right one or you'll build up costs.

Thanks

Amen to that! Anything that a relative tells you, is posted on the internet, or written in a book without verifiable sources is nothing but hearsay. It can give you a good starting point, but unless it is documented, it is a guess.

• 2 months later...

Archived