MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Are you the only one?

Momo

Are you the only one in your family who cares about genealogy? Do your kids or grandkids show an interest? I know my son doesn't care about it at all. I am hoping that one of his girls will when they get a little older. I wonder if anyone will care about all this work that I've done!

I have 2 cousins who do some research. I have found that after they pick my brain for any info I might have, they don't have anything to share with me. Does that happen to you?

I have 2 cousins who do some research. I have found that after they pick my brain for any info I might have, they don't have anything to share with me. Does that happen to you?

Don't worry about getting more back, just share what you have! About 15 years ago, I wrote a 16 page book for a family reunion. I was the only one who was interested in doing the research at the time, although EVERYBODY loved the book. Well, I have heard from 2 distant cousins in the last couple of years who have seen the book, and are now interested in genealogy. And they did have information and pictures for me. This was just a bonus, but it was a nice little bonus for the work done so long ago.

So share away, you never know what might come back to you. And when.

I really don't have anyone either. My twins (girl & boy, now 25) aren't as interested, but they're adopted so the whole process is a little bittersweet for them. DD has expressed an interest in finding information on her biological parents (both deceased now) and I'll help her. She's also supportive as I try to put my lines together, because she and her brother are part of the family and its the only family they've ever known.

When I started my search 8 years ago, I had nothing and folks from all over shared with me. My grandmother's maternal line had researchers that turned out to be cousins. I stumbled across some information on a line they'd hit brick walls with and was able to get back another generation and meet more cousins.

rootdiggr don't despair; I picked every one's brain for their research as I got 'caught up' and then, I was able to give back. So hang in there.

th_GOODMORNINGFALLCHAIR.jpg

My sister has a lot more information on some of the family than I do, but, if I want it, I have to go to her house and copy it from there. I just haven't had the time to go there for a while now. She is 12 years older than I am and not in real good health either. I've been in hopes to go there all summer but, with working on the kitchen, it just hasn't happened yet.

We had a reunion where we had our genealogy out and there were others interested in it. Our DD became more interested in it at that time, but, has not done any research since. We have at least one grandson who is interested in it. Yes, grandson, he is the one we almost raised from birth for the first several years. One year, I think he was in the 3rd grade, he needed some genealogy for school. I made a family tree for him and his teacher was really impressed. :) I have a couple nieces who are interested as well as at least one nephew. So, I am in hopes things will continue being found. None of these have ever done any research though so don't know if they would know how.

I have made several genealogy books, just for our kids and then for my one sister and husband for their 50th anniversary, they are no longer with us, as well as a couple nieces for their wedding shower and one for her 50th birthday. I made one for my sister and her husband, I hope goes to one of the kids that is interested in genealogy.

I know one day I would like to publish a book on the family, but, right now just haven't done it. One of my cousins wrote me asking if I had made it yet, and I had to say no. So, who knows, I might make that my winter project. :) I am thinking of doing it with the Family Tree Maker, so that might make it a bit easier. :) Oh, this cousin said she will be sending me a bit of information on their family. :) So, yes, don't give up on anyone. I know there are those out there who do take advantage of others, as we do have some in our family like that too.

Well, good luck and happy hunting. :)

th_FALLHUGSBEAR.gifth_FALLHUGS2-1.jpgth_FALLHAVEAGOODDAYPUMPKINS.gif

Archived