MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Advice Wanted: Shipping Cookies to Iraq

Tiger

A guy I used to work with is stationed in Iraq. He loves my baking. I missed his birthday in early December and I'm a little late for Christmas, but I'm planning on baking cookies and some goodies to ship to him and his buddies. Any hints on what would ship well, even recipes, would be appreciated. Also, does anyone know approximately how long it would take a box to get to him in Iraq?

He loves my chocolate chip cookies. Normally I wouldn't ship those, but I'm thinking since it's winter and maybe if I vacuum packed them, maybe they would hold up?? What do you think?

Thanks.

I’ve sent many cookies to Iraq. I always vacuum packed them, and “my soldier” reported the cookies arrived in great shape, and tasted wonderful. I have sent chocolate chip, sugar, peanut butter, rice krispi treats, etc.

From the USPS website:

Note: Typically military mail letters are delivered between seven and 10 days depending on country of destination. Priority Mail parcels will take 10 to 15 days. Parcel Post takes about 24 days, according to MPSA (Military Postal Service Agency) officials.

Transit times will vary depending on operational conditions and the unit of the addressee. Those in established bases should continue to receive regular service, while those in forward areas or engaged in operations may experience longer arrival times due to logistical constraints. During Desert Storm we equated this with the military postal system having to forward mail to a population rivaling that of the city of Richmond, VA that was moving through an area the size of the U.S. east of the Mississippi river.

Archived