MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Staceyy

How Did You Prepare For The Snow Storm?

In my area, we were told we would get 6 inches of snow. We're at about 2 feet right now. I'm a stockkpiler so we had plenty of food, water and firewood. I did stop at the store the other day to get a loaf of bread. I brought a supply of firewood indoors, filled the coffee pot, tea pots and sink with water. I know it is recommended to fill the bathtub with water, but I did not. One area of town does not have water. Sure glad I don't live there, or I would not have been prepared. I did wash clothes and dishes. I put turkey soup in the crockpot, baked some sourdough rolls and cookies. We charged our cell phones, because the lights were flickering last night. The shovel is by the door. Dh is out of town, and although we have a snowblower, we here don't know how to use it. We parked the car at the top of the driveway, so we would not have a lot of shoveling. We parked in the right spot. as a tree limb fell and just missed hitting the car. Events like this, show you where you were prepared and where you were not. I hope to be better prepped should something like this happen again.

Edited by Staceyy

Well, we're somewhere around 30-35 inches, in suburban Maryland (north of DC). Yesterday, me and roommie backed our cars in to our respective parking places. We then made sure that we had a good pile of wood and kindling inside by the fireplace, and then moved wood and kindling from the woodpiles around the back yard up into the wood holder by the door on the deck. We are in pretty good shape food wise, and water wise. We're keeping an eye on the trees-- the snow is sticky, and several thousand people are without power, though we're okay on that for now.

We also picked up all of the dog's balls so they wouldn't get lost-- the poor dear was upset that we kept stealing his toys.

We've been out to shovel paths once, and we'll be out again this afternoon. Tomorrow . . . well, tomorrow will take care of itself. As will Monday, I suppose. . .

We were out on Thursday looking for snow boots for DD17 - Her boots got a hole in them last snow storm. Ok - a side rant - why in the world do they have bathing suits and flip flops out but no snow boots!!! It's insane! We ended up at Central Tractor and got her a tall pair of rubber boots to wear with wool socks. It works for now. While we were waiting in line the phone rang non-stop with people looking for snow shovels - sold out.

Anyway we headed to Shop Rite and it was a madhouse!! No parking spots or shopping carts. Thursdays are my normal shopping days, so I looked at my list and decided that there wasn't anything on there that I needed to wait an hour in line for. We jumped over to Target (practically empty and this Target has a large grocery section) and I got milk (I have canned and powdered but I prefer fresh) and potato chips, lemonade mix and Hersheys Kisses (an essential item for a snow storm!!). We brought some dry firewood into our shed, moved the snow shovels into the house, filled a couple of oil lamps and put carpet on the truck window. DH is a firefighter/emt and he heard that a carpet remnant on the windshield will keep ice from forming. When he gets a call he just peels it off and goes.

We filled water bottles and the tub. I made brownies and today we had a roast turkey. DH and DS were out twice to shovel and check damage. We have alot of broken trees. They also cleaned off the trampoline so it wouldn't break from the snow load. No loss of power so far and we hope it holds. Although I think the kids are secretly hoping for a short term outage just to play with their flashlights ;)

This Blizzard did make me realize how thankful I am for my preps. My mom couldn't believe I didn't go grocery shopping. She asked me 5 times if I'm sure I have enough food. Now my mom comes here twice a week, she knows how much food we have....I guess she just doesn't realize why I have it. LOL!

My daughter called to warn me about the storm. Of course so had the tv, the newspaper, etc. My daughter just doesn't seem to get that I am prepared. She calls me everytime the weather turns to make sure I have water, food, etc. I love that she cares to check up on me, but she still doesn't seem to realize how prepared I am. I am not saying I am ready for anything. In fact one weak area I have in the winter is no where to cook if the power goes out. I bought a propane heater for emergency heat. I have long term water storage as well as a crock cooler with three bottles for it. I keep enough food on hand as well as flashlights, batteries, lanterns and candles. She on the other hand always has to run out for water. She has two woodburners where she lives now, so she does make sure she keeps plenty of wood on hand.She almost always has to run to the store if a storm is coming. Oh she shops by the month and could get by with basics, but her stove is not set up for cooking. She would be able to put a pan on top to cook some because it does have a flat top, but she always needs other basics such as milke bread, etc. Part of it is that with 7 kids they go through a lot of what she has quickly, but she also talks about being prepared, but still waits for the last minute for a lot of it.That is probably why she worries about me even though she knows I have most of what I need. She used to tell me to come to her house all of the time until I got the propane heater. Just in case the power went out. She currently has no power, I didn't lose mine.

I did go to the store with her. I picked up some meats while I was there, not because I needed them, but there was a good deal on it. I got bread and some chips. I already had whatever else I may need here, including stuff I can eat cold because if the power goes out, my only cooking source is the fire pit outside that is covered in snow.

I feel good that I have to do little to prepare. My only real prep this time was to make sure the flashlights were by the beds in case the power went out during the night. Nothing else needed to be done. Oh, I did pick up the shovel that my grandson had used and left lying on the patio. Didn't want my shovel to get buried. I know there is a lot more that I have to do. I need to get some means to cook if the power goes out. With an electric stove, I am out of luck. I just wish I wasn't renting.The place I live in has a broken fire place that isn't safe to use. I have to move, since the place was sold. I have a little less than three months to find a place now since they had to give me 90 days. I hope I am fortunate enough to find a place with a woodburner or fireplace that works. That would help me to be prepared in the winter. In the mean time I make do with what I have and seem to be managing well. I am definately better off this year than last and much better than five years ago before I started to prepare. You never know what will happen. Right now I am being forced to move, while being out of work because I lost my job along with half the staff where I worked, yet I feel okay because I have started to prepare for those little daily emergencies and hopefully for any big ones that come my way. It feels great to be able to say that.

WELLLLLLL.....here in Northeast Mississippi, we were SUPPOSE to get rain last night......woke up this morning to 5 inches of snow.......to say the least....I WAS SHOCKED! But I also prep, so it wasn't a big deal......just wasn't expecting it....however......hubby is a county supervisor and the phone started ringing......I can't get out and I don't have any milk and bread in the house.....my kids are at home and I don't have anything to feed them, if I had known this was coming I would have went to the store yesterday....., etc. etc.....you get the idea anyway.....oh well.......so he is out with a road grader seeing what he can do to get them OUT......where they can go to the store and buy their 1 gallon of milk and 1 loaf of bread.....I REALLLY don't mean to be ugly or judgemental.....but the same thing happened approx. a week ago...except we DID have some warning......so the stores were emptied that time.....but WHAT IF???????....oh well.....the snow is pretty.

whitewolf55

In my area (where it never rains supposedly) over 40 homes were totally destroyed by mudslides of 6'-8' deep. Mud slides move EVERYTHING that may be in its path. Worse than flooding water. Nothing can prepare you.

I'm in an area typically hit by snowstorms (North of Buffalo New York, but on the Canadian side). We didn't get touched (except wind and bitter cold) from that massive storm that hit the eastern states. However, we are forecasted to get hit tomorrow night into Wed..and Lake Effect on Thurs/Fri. with the other 2 large storm systems that are colliding together to make one.

I'm not sure if I'm nervous about this storm or not--I've heard conflicting news reports for the amount of snow we're getting. We have snow now but to date, we've not had any real storms-- very easy winter.

In the past though, its a good idea to make sure all laundry is up to date--if the power goes out, you wear a lot more!!, make sure boots and mitts are dry, cell phone charged, water in sinks/tub, etc...dishes done and all clean asap after eating in case of power outage...have paper plates etc in case it does. Nice to have the floors vacuumed/swept bcz if the power goes out, there seems to be a lot more going in/out of the house and tracking in dirt--at least in the country/on a farm. May have to haul water from the pond for toilet flushing or firewood, etc.

We have a wood-cookstove but haven't hooked it up but would in case of long tem like an Emp. But for a day or two, we'd just use bbq, campstove etc. but we do have a kerosene heater for short term power outage use. Also have kerosene lamps and flashlights/candles.

If the power goes out, immediately everyone is to get on extra clothes in order to not get chilled. Once chilled, its hard to get warm again. During a storm, I will also jack the heat up in the house in case of power outage...keeps the chill off longer if the power does go off.

Tomorrow I'll make a big pot of soup (but I do that daily) and will likely prepare dinner earlier and have enough for leftovers for Wed or make Wed's supper tomorrow...for I figure Wednesday is our storm day with blowing snow. The storm is just starting for us tomorrow evening.

I've already been to get groceries yest---didn't need much--but wanted to get more than enough dog chow. For us, dh will go get more hay/feed tonight or tomorrow as we're running low.

I'll cover over our rabbits better with tarps/who are in outside hutches and more straw and make sure they have more than enough food/water in case its too nasty to get out on Wed.

I find one of the most important things is to have laundry up to date and make sure everyone is clean with freshly washed hair/bodies --never know when the next shower or bath will be. Having food in the house is just a pre-requisite here.

I'm in an area supposed to be getting slammed today. I don't expect it will amount to anything. However, in our area, everyone runs out for milk and bread in this weather. LOL. Never could figure that out. If you run out of milk, have juice - it's only a few hours.

Now, I understand fully why we have preps, I feel it every day telling me to get more prepared, do more, learn more, etc. However, we're hardy New England people. If it snows, you go out every few hours and clear the paths to the animals and the chicken yard and the drive way, and you wait for the snow plows to come by and plow and salt. No biggie, I don't understand why everyone gets in a tizzy. Even in the ice storm, everyone was coming to our house to shower, warm up, eat, and borrow from us. Some were without power for a few weeks, we only lost it for about a half a day. We were lucky there, but how many of our friends and family do you think ran out after the ice storm and bought supplemental heat or cooking sources, maybe a generator, some canned goods, candles or lanterns? LOL - hope it doesn't last long, I have laundry waiting to be folded and my house needs a good dusting. I don't want company now.

Anyway, my point is, if we didn't have these services, THEN people should run around and be crazy. I've never had an instance when services stopped. Our infrastructure is still in place. If you panic every time a storm hits, what does that say about you? (I'm talking the general NE people here, not aiming at anyone on this site)

It's like Christmas, it comes every year. Why do most people I know run around last minute, shopping, trying to "find" the money, etc? Snow storms come every year. Why wouldn't you stock up on snow melt in the spring when it's being cleared out and replace broken shovels then? You know you'll need it next time, and it won't be jacked up in price like it would the morning of an ice storm. Why wouldn't everyone in New England already have a store of food? It's pretty standard practice going back many years. Where I live, we're still country folk and I know my neighbors have everything they need to survive at least a few days without services. Is it because they're older or because we're in the country? Hmmm... I wonder.

I was in Buffalo during the blizzard in the 70s - was it 78? I think so. I remember being the smallest, so my mother opened the window so I could slide out, to shovel out the door so they could get outside to shovel the drive. Snowed in? Not unless you're in a cabin situated on the side of a mountain LOL.

I've often wondered why when a storm is forecasted ,people think they have to run to the store and buy every thing possible. If you have preps you should be ready. What do they do with the snow shovels when winter is over? Throw them out? Other wise why do the stores sell so many each year? Also when a hurricane is supposed to hit you see the stores selling out of plywood to cover the windows-- wake up people,you can keep this stuff year to year- just store it in your garage,that way you don't have to spend money to buy new..

MommaDogs, I think they buy milk because it's more versatile than juice. You can make soups, bake with it, etc. 'Course smart people know you can keep canned or dried milk and use that, but fresh does taste better, IMO. :shrug:

Common sense just isn't so common any more. Even in my own family, I have a brother who gets rid of anything he doesn't use within a year or two. Which is fine if you have money, but everybody's hurting in this economy.

What burns me up is when things are donated/given, and then those receivers sell the stuff. Remember when people in the cities got free window air conditioners and fans during extreme heat? It happened again the following year, and they needed them again because they'd sold them. <_<

And this is most likely why the prediction for eradication of over 2/3rds of the world population will probably succeed when the SHTF truly. No matter what you show or tell some people they will NOT prepare for the future. They live for the day and take advantage of anything that benefits them at the moment. We all have friends and relatives that are this way.

I'm laughing at the comment about emptying the shelves of milk. It is definitely NOT that they know all the valuable uses for it -- if they did they would have plenty on hand already, including powdered and canned. They grab because it is 'there' and something in the back of their craniums does say that they should get it. And it will probably spoil in the frig before they finish it. While they hoard the stores, we all sit here with our cup of coffee/tea and blog happily.

Harsh times brings out the reality of people.

Edited by Canned Nerd

Canned Nerd, how's the muddiness out there? Did I hear that you're still getting rain?

Still prayin' for ya all...

Right now I'm glad I live in the low land areas and away from the mud slides. You can't help but feel sorry for those living on the edge of the mountains that were burned bare recently by all our fires, but one also must consider there is a lot of money spent to live in those beautiful areas and if you are going to live in a glass house you should fully prepare for the eventuality of a hail storm.

For me, I'm waiting for the next massive earthquake in the Pacific that causes a Tsunami wave against California coast of a hundred feet or higher. I'm at 57 feet, so you know what will happen....and flood insurance costs more than anybody can afford.

February is our annual 'wet' month so we'll get more rain, but for now we have at least a week to dry out.

We have a wood-cookstove but haven't hooked it up but would in case of long tem like an Emp. But for a day or two, we'd just use bbq, campstove etc. but we do have a kerosene heater for short term power outage use.

Now I DON'T think this is what Motherhen :hug3: meant but........ I want to take this opportunity to make something very clear to folks new to this.

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, LIGHT A BBQ GRILL INDOORS. It will kill you. Having your BBQ outside in a sheltered but totally ventilated area so you can heat some soup or grill some burgers [yes...I do winter grilling all the time...LOL ] ...that is fine.

Everyone stay safe!!!!!!

MtRider [ ...this has been a Public Service Announcement.... :curtsey: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

Oh no Mt.Rider...the bbq is not portable! Its outside! No, we've lived in the country for 24 yrs...(same house) and lived through enough real storms to know better.

As for the wood/cookstove, there is no need to hook it up for now esp. as we are considering moving and would take it with us. We haven't even had much winter here---no 'normal' winter anyway. Even today we were supposed to get a storm--but we were too much on the fringe and it amounted to just a dusting of snow and thats it.

We've still have friends in DC and have been monitoring the snow storm there. If you go to www. washingtonpost.com, you can see lots of pictures. Most are of snowmen, children, and dogs, but the ones of the empty store shelves made an impression on me.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.