MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
drumrunner

Food Storage & Safety

Nice Bump! anx just in time to print out for my friends who are just getting started in this food storage 'thing'

Thanks Debbie J for the bump! I missed it when Arby bumped it and hadn't stumbled across it yet.

:scratchhead: I don't think I've seen this thread....and *I'm* supposed to mod the area.

MtRider :rolleyes:

Mt Rider this one may need to be pinned whatca think?

Well, :puzzledsmile: there is only ONE page in the whole sub-forum of Survival Library so...... I think we should all be able to find Drumrunner's stuff. I guess I didn't go thru each one yet tho. Thot I had.

What do y'all think?

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
finish....

Well, :puzzledsmile: there is only ONE page in the whole sub-forum of Survival Library so...... I think we should all be able to find Drumrunner's stuff. I guess I didn't go thru each one yet tho. Thot I had.

What do y'all think?

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Sounds good to me. I didn't realize he was in the Survival Library

Good reminder. I might add that a container of ice cream is a great indicator of whether or not your freezer has been off and came back on. If you've been gone [in our case, we were evacuated during a wildfire for 3 wks] and find your ice cream in that weird state of having been thawed and refrozen -- THROW OUT EVERYTHING, including the ice cream. Cuz the ONLY thing you know is that your power was surely off for long enough to melt ice cream.

IF you hear that it might have been off for a time, check the ice cream. If it hadn't softened enough to show a different consistency, then [ IN MY OPINION ] the rest of your freezer foods should be just fine. Ice cream melts at such a low temperature. The only hesitation I might make would be any type of sea foods.

To extend the chill longer, cover your freezer with b'ankets, sleeping bags, insulation, etc. DO NOT COVER THE REAR where the fan and motor would be!!! It might buy you enough time. Make sure to pack as much as you can into the freezer(s),even if it's containers of water to freeze to ice before you lose power. That will hold the chill longer than half of the space being merely air. We did all this before we EVAC'ed. Electricity is not guaranteed during a wildfire EVAC. We also grabbed some of the meat to share with those who hosted us and our animals during this time. We enjoyed liver and onions with one of our appreciative hosts. :P

IF YOU HAVE FROZEN VEGGIES: Spread them out on trays, sheets, etc and begin to dehydrate them. Easy and ....in our arid region, pretty fast. If you're in hot/humid conditions, you'd need sunshine. Cover with netting to keep bugs and birds away. Some have used closed vehicles to dehydrate in a protected environment. Maintain proper sanitation.

MtRider -- BTDT

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.