MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hi from British Columbia, Canada

Foxglove

Hi

I just joined this forum, I was so happy to find something for women. I have always kept a well stocked pantry but more with the idea of not wanting to run out or it's on sale. It's only been the last couple of years I've gotten more serious about prepping. My husband went through 9 months of unemployment in 2009 and we used a lot of what I had so I've really been re-stocking since the beginning of 2010. I'm past my 1 month supply and heading towards 3 months now.

I'm always so envious about the resources that are in the USA, not that much available in Canada and nothing close to where I live and in Canada shipping costs are always high. Powdered milk is 3x the cost than the USA prices I see online.

Right now my goal is to get an organized inventory system in place and figure out if I'm missing anything important. I'd like a computer based program but I'm not willing to spend money on anything right now so I think I'll be printing out and using a notebook. I've got it all written out on paper but it's not organized into categories like grains, legumes, etc.

My husband isn't really on board with prepping for an emergency but doesn't really say anything to me about what I have stored either. I wouldn't mind a small emergency happening so that he'd take it seriously, something like a broken water line or 3 day power outage.

Hi, and welcome.

Would it be possible for you to come to WA. state and stock up on things and then return home ? Just come across the border and shop. I know you can't take back fresh produce, but dried things perhaps ?

Here if you can shop at a Winco store or even Costco or Cash n Carry you may be able to get some good deals. Usually Cash n Carry is for restaurants, but here I am able to go and shop just fine. As long as you pay cash it is fine. They have larger bulk packages and also some standard sized things, too. It is amazing what you can find there.

Welcome, Foxglove. There is a treasure trove of info on here. Just get ready to print a lot. I have learned that no question is too dumb to ask. Everyone always helps anyway possible and comes up with some wonderful suggestions. By the way, the men on here are very informative also. That gives things a different perspective sometimes. As they all told me, start little, do the best you can, because knowledge is the beginning of good things. Best wishes.

Hi

Thanks for the welcome. I don't have a passport so I can't go into the US right now but my husband might go over for me sometime. Does the Cash & Carry have #10 cans of powdered milk? I can get it here but it costs $20.50 per can for the LDS cannery milk. I have to make our food $$$ stretch with four hungry boys (10, 10, 13, 15). I feel like I'm constantly grocery shopping these days. I just watched a youtube video showing inside the Macey's and Emergency Essentials stores in Utah and all I can say is "wow - heavenly" I sure wish I had something like that in my neighbourhood. I don't know anyone else who is prepping though I'm getting a couple of people more interested in starting. I'd love to have a prepping buddy :)

Foxglove

I don't know what they have for powd. milk as I already have some stored.

Not sure when I will go shopping there again, as I mostly stop for work things.

I teach food preservation here. I work at my local county extension office.

Next time I stop there I will try to remember to look for the powd. milk.

Hello Foxglove, good to have you here. Hope you enjoy and feel free to ask questions.

Someone's bound to have the answer.

Welcome, Foxglove! Please check the Latin Foods aisles, if you have them, at your grocery. I buy almost all my milk there now.

We have some latin foods but most of it is from the big companies and just salsas and hot sauces no milk, I can't even get enchilada sauce in a can. Asian food is much more popular here both in the regular grocery stores and there are a couple of really big Asian supermarkets within close driving distance. Carnation dried instant milk is about $12.50 for a kilo (2.2 lbs) in the grocery store, the no-name is slightly less but not by much. I've looked in all sorts of places and I've never found it cheaper than that and it never goes on sale.

Emergency preparation isn't something that's popular here, any supplies are geared towards camping/hunting/fishing and it's small pouches of two dehydrated meals for $10. I've had some success with a restaurant supply cash & carry here but it's not that big and they aren't always cheaper, for example I can buy bags of popcorn kernels at the grocery store for less per lb price than the 50lb bag at the restaurant supply.

Foxglove

Archived