MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

1901 Irish Census Online

Momo

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View a gallery of images from the turn of the 20th century at link

On the website, people will be able to view the Census and perform a variety of searches under forename, surname and county as well as more advanced searches including religion, occupation, Irish language proficiency, specified illnesses and literacy status.

In addition to returns for every household in the country,the census contains returns for police and military barracks, public and private asylums, prisons, hospitals, workhouses, colleges, boarding schools and industrial schools among other institutions.

The Census gives details of houses, recording the number of windows, type of roof and number of rooms occupied by each family. Each house is classified according to its overall condition. The number of out-offices and farm buildings attached to each household is also given.

The idiot working my neighborhood left a note that they would return so I phoned her & told her there were two people living here & that was all I was saying. She tried to tell me it was federal law, etc. etc. so I hung up on her. She started leaving notes again last week.

Momo, I found them! I had to prod Mom;s memory for Dad's info, since Dad has passed away, but she was able to give me just enough on names and ages for me to pull them! Too cool!! :woohoo::cele:

Vic303 I am so happy for you!

So far I have been unsuccessful in tracking my relatives. I think if I get their exact birthdate's I will get the right ones. Both of my great grandparents have very common names so I have to wade through the possibilities. Bridget and Patrick are pretty common in Ireland.

:woohoo: for your discoveries Vic!

My dad's ancestors left Ireland by about 1850, mostly due to politics and the famine, so anything after about 1860 isn't much use in finding them specifically. But looking at this, I can find families with our surnames in the counties we think are involved and maybe find kinsmen and through them details about our families pre-emigration. So - it's another strategy.

Thanks for posting, the link, Momo! :thumbs:

Momo, do you know any family occupations, especially for the men? If you look at the actual scans, it will tell you the family occupations, and more details. If you just look at the text version (not scan) you have to click the box that says 'show descriptions' to look at their text copy, which will speed up your hunt.

Vic

Vic 303 I don't know their occupations.

Thanks for the tips. I will try them when I am at my friendly wi-fi and I can do some searching without pulling out my hair! (I have dial up at home)

Archived