MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Darlene

Romans 12:9-10

Heavenly Father,

I don't know why, especially after such a long absence, that I'm fooling around, considering not doing today's study...just because.

Wait, I know what's going on. I've been stressing this morning, projecting into a need that's coming down the pike, researching, trying to game plan, worried that what I'd like to do won't be possible and trying to find a way around that.

For almost 2 hours I've been doing this, thinking about blowing off the Romans study this morning because I'm just not in the mood, when Your Spirit began to speak softly to my heart that I needed to do this study today.

So here I am Father God. I'm sorry. These things I'm stressing about, while things I will need, can't compare to the importance of my ongoing relationship with You.

Bless the study today Father. May it take all our eyes off the circumstances in front of us and onto You. Just as Peter began to sink when he focused on the waves instead of Christ, I feel I'm sinking in far less treacherous waters because of putting my sites on earthly things.

Thank You for the prompting. Thank You that I'm here now, about to embark on the next installment of Romans.

I love You.

In Jesus Name I pray,

9. Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

10. In love of the brethren be tenderly affectioned one to another; in honor preferring one another;

In the 9th verse, Watchman Nee comments on the words, "let love be without hypocrisy" and writes,: "Verses 9-21 and ch. 13 show the normal Christian life that is the necessary base for the practice of the church life and that matches the church life. This life is described in five aspects: (1) toward others (vv. 9-10, 13, 15-16); (2) toward God (v. 11); (3) toward ourselves (v. 12); (4) toward the persecutor and enemy (vv. 14, 17-21); and (5) in general, before all men (v. 17). A life that is complete and proper in these five aspects is a life of surpassing quality with an excellent issue."

The rvbv writes, "Let love be without hyprocisy - The world is full of effusive expressions of affection, - and so, we fear, are many professing Christians - without real love in the heart: "Talking cream and living skim milk," as Mr. Moody phrased it. "Let us not love in word, neither with the tongue; but in deed and truth" (I John 3:18). Abhor that which is evil - This is impossible to the unregenerate, and only intermittently possible for the carnal Christian; but to one who has obeyed the first two verses of this chapter and surrendered to God, it is a holy instinct! "Ye that love Jehovah, hate evil" (Ps. 97:10). To be a good Christian, a man must be a good hater! Cleave to that which is good - Here is not only the negative, the abhorrence of evil; but the positive, the discerning and holding fast that which is good. As Paul says in Philippians 4:8: "Brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honorable, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report: if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, [in a person] take account of these things." True the annointing which you have received (I John 2:20,27) for discernment; and trust the study of the Word of God, to teach you what is really good.

Verse 10: In love of the brethren be tenderly affectioned one to another - Of course all Christians "love the brethren" - that is a sign of spiritual life (I John 3:14). But to be tenderly affectioned - how few are! "Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving each other, even as God also in Christ forgave you." Beloved, are we willing to be made tender? It is God's will for all believers. In honor preferring one another - How beautiful a grace! Really to prefer from your heart other believers before yourself, to be glad, when others are honored above you. "For 'love of the brethren", and "tenderly affectioned" there are two beautiful words in the Greek 'philadelphia', and 'philostorgos', the latter used of closest family ties.) Farrar well renders, "Love the brethren in the faith, as though they were brothers in blood." Vincent prefers the A.V. rendering, "kindly affectioned," perhaps properly, since our word 'kind' was originally 'kinned', and "kindly affectioned" is, having the affection of kindred!"

Heavenly Father,

A short study today...just two verses, but a study done.

Thank You for being Who You are. Thank You for the peace in my heart right now, simply from getting in Your Word. While everything above pertains to me too, it didn't necessarily have anything to do with the stresses I was focused on earlier. It's proof positive once again, that Your Word is living, it truly is a two edged sword and there is power in Your Word, just by reading it, whether what I read that day addresses what may be going on in my life, or not.

I love You so very, very much.

In Jesus Name I pray,

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.