MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Darlene

Romans 12:14-16

Heavenly Father,

Lately life seems to have evolved into a whirlwind. There's virtually little downtime, and it seems to be one thing right after the other. Some things are good, some things are not good, but through it all You are truly the calm in the storm. You're my anchor, You're my sanctuary, You're my shelter, You're my peace, my hope, my God and Heavenly Father...even my Heavenly Papa at times when I feel the most childlike.

Yesterday was such a whirlwind. After 3 years of waiting, the time finally came to do some work in my bathroom...replacing old pieces with new. Little did I realize, or little did anyone realize that as the men began to tear out the old, underneath was rot and danger unlike anything they've seen before.

The only thing, and I mean the ONLY thing that kept the commode in place was the tile it sat on top of...the flooring beneath had rotted away from years (years that were long before I ever moved here), even the floor supports and all the things that frame a home and support the flooring, was pitifually and quite shockingly rotted away.

I'm still kind of stunned. Stunned by how hidden things like that can be a threat, and stunned by the fact that You knew Father and even there Your hand of protection was over us, holding that floor up so that not one of us was injured.

And then Father, I can't escape this fleeting glimpse that there is a parallel between that rotted floor and sin in our lives. I mean known sin, willful sin, sin that we don't want to let go of, for whatever reason...fear, control, selfishness, etc. For someone like me that has sinned much and been forgiven much more, the visual parallel leaves me almost speechless. While I am not perfect and I still sin, and there are times when I still come running into Your Holy presence and fall to my knees asking for forgiveness, there is no longer anything I'm consciously or knowingly holding onto. You removed that one last thing during a fast at the beginning of this year and I praise You and thank You for the freedom I've found finally letting go of that. It broke my heart at the time to let it go, but there's been a peace and a power that has replaced it that still leaves me in awe.

I just can't get the visual out of my mind of how once solid wood, with just the touch of a finger, disintegrates into flakes down to the ground that this house is built on, putting all who walk on that hidden rot vulnerable to getting hurt. So it is with our sin.

So Father, I pray that Your Holy Spirit would move in all our hearts, bringing to mind anything that is displeasing to You...anything that is rotting away in our hearts, even things that are hidden that we ourselves might not see. Clean house Lord, because there is no greater feeling than to confess from the heart and be truly set free.

Anyway, thank You for Your hand of protection with that floor Father. Thank You for uncovering the rot that was an increasing danger. Thank You for the men that are qualified to fix it...bless them and their families, and thank You for a little more progress in this home that You lead me to here in the mountains.

I woke up at 4:30am this morning...I mean WIDE awake. You do that to me from time to time, and many times its because there are things I need to pray about, talk to You about. As I laid here in bed, part of me wishing I could go back to sleep lol, part of me wondering why You caused me to wake up so early when I remembered that there would be little time to do the Romans study today.

Waking up at 4:30am gave me plenty of time to do the Romans study.

lolol

I wouldn't mind Father, if You somehow found time during normal hours though, to do the study lol.

I love You so very much, and I feel so incredibly safe knowing I'm Your daughter and You are my Heavenly Father, my God.

In Jesus Name I pray,

14. Bless them that persecute you; bless, and curse not.

15. Rejoice with them that rejoice: weep with them that weep.

16. Be of the same mind one toward another. Set not your mind on high things, but be carried away with things that are lowly. Be not wise in your own conceits.

In the 14th verse, Watchman Nee comments on the word "bless" and writes, "As Christians, we are under a blessing. Thus, we should not curse anyone but only bless. The Lord blessed us when we were His enemies (5:10). In the same way, we should bless our enemies and persecutors."

The rvbv writes in regard to the 14th verse, "Here is a verse that needs no comment, in view of our Lord's words of Luke 6:27,28: "Love your enemies, do good to them that hate you, bless them that curse you, pray for them that despitefully use you"; and of His blessed example. But note, in our present verse it is not mere outward blessing that is commanded, but refraining from inward reservations, or private expressions, for sometimes we speak sweetly to opposers, but our after words prove that we did not allow our hearts to go out in love to those enemies. And by the way, do not stumble if you find other Christians speaking ill of you, even persecuting you. Bless them too!

In the 15th verse Watchman Nee comments on the word "rejoice" and writes, "To live a normal Christian life for the church life, we need a proper emotion that can rejoice or weep with others. Such an emotion is not a part of our natural life; it is the issue of life through transformation."

The rvbv writes in the 15th verse: "Now here is a verse that takes us out of ourselves. The literal rendering is, Rejoice with rejoicing ones, and weep with weeping ones. Believers, of course, are especially meant in both cases. There will always be some that are weeping. Blessed is he who, like the Lord at Lazarus' grave, can enter into others' sorrow even unto tears!

"Alas, there is such a phenomenon, not altogether rare, as a life whose self-surrender, in some main aspects, cannot be doubted, but which utterly fails in sympathy. A certain spiritual exaltation is allowed actually to harden, or at least to seem to harden, the consecrated heart: and the man who perhaps witnesses for God with a prophet's ardor is yet not one to whom the mourner would go for tears and prayers in his bereavement, or the child for a perfectly human smile in his play. As to the Lord Himself, the little child, the wistful parent, the widow with her mite, the poor fallen woman of the street, could 'lead away' his blessed sympathies with a touch" - Moule.

Verse 16: Minding the same thing one toward another- Let us quote several comments by beloved writers: "Be of one mind amongst yourselves" - Conybeare. "The harmony which proceeds from a common object, common hopes and common desires" - Sanday. "The loving harmony when each in respect to his neighbor has one thought and endeavor" - Meyer. "Aspiring after the same aims, aiming at the same object for one another as for ourselves. Having the same solicitude for the temporal and spiritual welfare of the brother as for one's own" - Godet. "Actuated by a common and well-understood feeling of mutual allowance and kindness" - Alford. Evidently the reference is not to uniformity of thought, but to charity of attitude.

Not minding high things, but being carried away along with the lowly - This sixteenth verse is in close connection with the spirit of verse 15. It is the spirit of Philippians 2:2 to 5: "Be of the same mind, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind [not of one opinion, but one heart-intent]; doing nothing through faction or through vainglory, but in lowliness of mind each counting other better than himself; not looking each of you to his own things, but each of you also to the things of others. Have this mind in you which was also in Christ Jesus." "High things" are a continual temptation. Carefully read here the excellent remarks of Godet: "There frequently forms in the congregations of believers an aristocratic tendency, every one striving by means of the Christian brotherhood to associate with those who, by their gifts or fortune, occupy a high position. Hence small coteries, animated by a proud spirit, and having for their result chilling exclusiveness. The apostle knows these littlenesses and wishes to prevent them; he recommends the members of the church to attach themselves to all alike, and if they will yield to a preference, to show it rather for the humble." Lay these words well to heart. They are continually needed.

The word rendered "carried away with" really means the opposite of its King James rendering "condescend to." The idea that one pardoned sinner's thinking of "condescending" to another! The word really means "to be carried away along with," as has been every Bernard, Assisi, Luther, Zizendorf, Bunyan, Wesley, Whitefield, Spurgeon, Moody. All the saints filled with the Spirit have found themselves among the lowly of this earth. For that matter, there is not, and never has been, a real assembly of God of wealthy upper class people only! "Not many mighty, not many noble are called." The rich have to come where the poor are to hear the gospel. Once received, the gospel of Christ is the blessed and only real leveler of us all. Beware always of any "religious" movement cultivating the rich!

Be not wise in your own conceits - Paul in Chapter 11:25 used exactly the same expression, warning us as Gentile believers of the danger of being "wise in our own conceits." This searching expression, "wise in one's own eyes," or "conceit," occurs five times in the Old Testament, and two here in Romans, seven in all. Of such a one, Solomon says, "There is more hope of a fool than of him." He is first cousin to the sluggard, and to a blind rich man; and all of these are related to "them that know not God." See Proverbs 26:5, 12, 16; 28:11; 3:7. The self conceited are not among those who are "weeping with them that weep."

Heavenly Father,

I'm getting tired now lol, but the day has started so I ask that Your hand of blessing and protection be over all our lives this day. Thank You for getting today's study done, it has placed a peace in my heart that I cherish.

I love You so very much,

In Jesus Name I pray,

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.