MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Darlene

Romans 12:20

Heavenly Father,

The last couple of days have been beyond hectic...thank You for the work that is being done on the house that I've longed for for so long. It has turned my home upside down but it's worth it because my eyes are set on the goal at the end, and as I type that it reminds me that in my life, no matter what, I'm to keep my eyes on You.

There are some things that lay heavy on my heart Father in the midst of all the chaos going on here at the moment, so I'm turning to You and asking for Your help. I see concerns with a couple of my children, and as much as I love them, You love them more, so I'm coming to You, my Holy Heavenly Father, reminding You that I gave them back in my heart to You, asking You to intervene in their lives and bring them Home to a relationship with You.

Bless this day Father...my heart is set on You always, and I ask that You will help me make some progress in getting things organized around here.

I love You and feel a yearning need for You this morning.

In Jesus Name I pray,

20. But if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him to drink: for in so doing thou shalt keep coals of fire upon his head.

The rvbv writes in regard to verse 20: "Here are specific directions for active love toward an enemy, - praying for him meanwhile, as Christ commanded: "Bless them that persecute you, pray for them that despitefully use you." There is no more terrible danger than that of a cherished revenge; and nothing marks out so blazingly a Christian path as love toward a foe. The Indians who inhabited America when the white man came, hated one another, tribe against tribe. The war paint, the warpath, the tomahawk, the scalp lock, - and pride in it all! was the hell-mark wherewith Satan branded these poor heathen, - and where are they today? No less devilish are the ghastly family "feuds" in certain parts of America. No less significant is the kind of man admired in some regions: "He won't take a word from anybody"; "He'll fight at the drop of the hat," and the like.

Now the promise is most striking indeed, that in a deed of kindness to an enemy we shall "heap coals of fire upon his head." Of course, as always, when the literal statements of God's judgment are made, we are apt to shrink in timidity and unbelief, and seek to evade the actualities. But remember exactly what we are dealing with: we are asked to step aside from self-avenging, and "give place" to God's coming vengeance and recompense. Of course, we continue loving our enemies and praying for them, hoping they may repent. Thus we are sharing the feeling of God Himself, who "takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked, and would have all men to be saved." Nevertheless, we know in our hearts that many will refuse Divine mercy, and go on to that day of vengeance. And what do we read in the Scriptures about "coals of fire" at that time?

Let burning coals fall upon them:

Let them be cast into the fire,

Into deep pits, whence they shall not rise (Ps. 140:10).

Upon the wicked He will rain snares;

Fire and brimstone and burning wind shall be the portion of their cup (Ps. 11:6).

It is a trifling exposition that would make the "coals of fire" of Romans 12:20, quoted from Proverbs 25:21,22, a mere figure - and meaning, really, nothing!

The knowledge and constant remembrance by the saints of the coming literal doom of the wicked, is both a deep incentive to a holy walk, and a strong motive for loving and praying for them. But let us not forget that the more we are "a sweet savor of Christ unto God" as we preach the gospel, the more we become a "savor from death unto death in them that are perishing" (II Cor. 2:14-16). Paul significantly, just here, adds the words: "And who is sufficient for these things? For we are not as the many, corrupting the Word of God" (II Cor. 2:17). Our Lord Himself said, "If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no excuse for their sin." It is a fearful thought that in our kindness to enemies - enemies of our Lord and of ourselves for the gospel's sake, we may be increasing their doom: but the responsibility is theirs; the obedient kindness, ours!"

Heavenly Father,

May Your Spirit move over us as we read Your Word, opening our eyes and hearts to Your truth.

I'm glad I took a few minutes to do another verse...I need it more than I realize sometimes.

I love You.

In Jesus Name I pray,

It is a fearful thought that in our kindness to enemies - enemies of our Lord and of ourselves for the gospel's sake, we may be increasing their doom: but the responsibility is theirs; the obedient kindness, ours!"

Sheeeeesh.... Y'know, I always thot that 'heaping coals upon their head' meant that someone being kind after the other person had been hateful was the ultimate revenge....cuz it would so perplex them and :wacko: drive them crazy. :shrug:

This whole explanation however, is quite sobering.

I'm not sure I've ever been so vexed or hated someone enough to actually wish any of THIS upon them. :shakinghead:

I might be able to see this for those who's love of evil and cruelty is rabid. There are those totally evil people. But most of the time we get annoyed and vexed by the imperfections, imaturities and characters flaws of basically normal humans......like ourselves. We just don't like them being imperfect on our time and in our face. ;) But this rather puts a new perspective......that we ALL deserved this fate, short of Christ's intervention on our behalf. :o Not just the overtly evil. ALL of us fallin' short, imperfect, self-centered, imature, flawed humans.

MtRider [ sometimes we have to 'get it' over and over again.....onion layers ]

sometimes we have to 'get it' over and over again.....onion layers ]

That's an understatement.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.