MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vigilant20

I'm up and running

I've been gone for a while, but look what I was working on :)

Before (sorry about the quality, this was actually the realtors pic):

4780600820_3ec02b94fd.jpg

After:

4779957903_01ac94d0cf.jpg

I'm pretty happy with what I've done with my little space with just one springs work. I've still got a ways to go to make it more visually appealing and lower maintenance (all of those grass paths between the beds have got to go!), but the veggies are the important part and they are doing great.

I've got 54 varieties of fruits, veggies, and edible flowers squooshed in there. Including extra planting space beside the house and garage, and even some in the front yard now. Had radish, sugar snap peas, kohlrabi, beets, spinach, kale, raspberries, carrots, new potatoes, and broccoli already. Currently getting a lotta squash and the first of the beans and cucumbers now.

So happy :)

Whoooooooo Wow! It looks gorgeous! Urban prepping at it's finest! :thumbs:

MtRider [....welcome back!]

Are you going to run grapes, kiwi, or what up that arch?

Yep, I have grape vines started there :)

Thanks everyone, I'm pretty proud of myself considering this fat outta shape chick got it all done alone in one spring with one shovel and a buncha seed packets.

May I never have to dig up sod again.

Things are really picking up. Brought in 2 zucchini, 2 cucumber, and 2 crookneck squash tonight. There are a good dozen cucumbers out there I'll need to deal with this weekend...guess I'm learning to pickle! Also had the chance to pose with this beauty, which is definitely a personal record size:

4813727902_2538b7567a.jpg

First off................................ WOW!

and second might I add....................................................WOW!

What a great job you did in goiing from a yard to a vegetable garden in 1 season!

Good thing we got to see the before photo or we would never know all the hard work that went into making it all look so good.

See people you don't need a lot of land to have a garden and yes we can grow enough stuff in a small area (even between other buildings) to eat fresh and still have some to can.

Raised beds was the way to go in your case and like me you may not be about to rotate crops next year seeing that in a small area 'full sun' is not in every corner of your raised beds. So do what I do............

I can't move the beds around so I move the DIRT!

Yup I dig out one bed and put it on a tarp and then move the soil from another bed into the hole, and the next one, and the next one. All the time I am moving dirt I add compost and other things in with the moving of dirt. AND I am turning over evrything at the same time.

Keeping good records of what went where each year helps a lot when you are doing raised beds as well.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Thanks Amishway :) I was lucky that my lot must have been a lowspot and was filled in with a good foot of topsoil, so the extra expense of raised beds was not necessary.

I have 3 main beds. One gets full sun and faces east-west. I should be able to shuffle things around pretty easily in there. The other two beds are both next to buildings. One is cool weather crops and one is squash and cucumbers. Both are doing extremely well with the shade they get and I should be able to rotate them back and forth between the two beds. Which is good because that digging thing sounds like an awful lot of work!

Edited by vigilant20

Your place looks fantastic! I can see all the hard work you put into it. Getting ready to check out your blog.

I got to pick the first couple Golden Jenny melons this week. Actually, I could have picked one earlier but I forgot what a small variety of melons I had picked and never thought to check if they were ripe. I lost one like that but caught the next 2. This one was 6 inches across, 1.5 pounds, and oh so cute.

4917538478_b01fcd4ec8.jpg

As far as preserving, I got the last of the zucchini dried and another batch of basil done. I made an attempt at tomato sauce that failed miserably. Some great feedback from my Facebook friends showed me the recipe was a little odd and I know to spend as much time as I need with the reduction next time around. But I made another batch of Dilli's creamy tomato soup to cheer myself up.

4869425131_19c5298228.jpg

My harvests of melon, corn, crookneck squash, cucumber, and tomatoes this week brought my total to over 100 pounds from the garden. I'm actually a bit disappointed as I know I could be doing so much better if I would have had more time to devote to the garden and had gotten my fall starts going in time. Well, now I'll have a baseline to try to beat next year.

Hey Michael, ....moving dirt to rotate the beds? That is an amazing concept. Plus adding all sorts of good stuff each year too.

Tho I've got lots of acres, I have nearly no soil and being between ridges, very little of it gets adequate sun. So....I moved my main garden 5 miles SW. No, not the dirt like Michael! :lol: I had an offer to garden with a friend and up here, 5 miles makes a big difference.

Lynn, wow lady! It's been so worth your effort. Next year will be even more fun cuz the initial work is done. Whew! Better get your whole neighborhood doing that or they'll be standing over your fence drooling.

MtRider [....you'd think I could find the sun up here at 9,000' ......]

Wow it's been a while hasn't it! I was really happy with how things went last year, as it was my first year trying to homestead here. This year I dug up the rest of the yard and planted a lot more. I did some landscaping to make things look nicer including putting in a mulched decorative garden instead of a front yard, and mulching the paths in the back yard so that it looks more intentional now. And I completed my master gardener training this spring so I have a little better idea of what I'm doing now :)

Things are getting a little easier as all these new things have started turning into habits and gotten worked into my daily routines. I had a tough time for a while because my boss sent me back to school, but that's done as of spring semester, so it should be less stressful from here on out.

I did a little walking tour of this years garden if anyones interested :)

You have done an amazing job! I find that carboard covered with compost on top will keep the weeds down and help hold moisture in the ground, it also will decompose and help the soil for next year. I'm sure you have inspired others with all of your work. Keep it up!

:wormie2:

John

Thanks guys! It's been very good experience for me and I've learned a lot. As for mulching, I've been shying away from that because I'm in a humid continental climate...so I don't think I want any more moisture around :D

I've had a whole lot of weed plant matter to add to the compost bin this year though, and the angoras do a surprisingly good job at producing fertilizer. I also got my hands of some comfrey in fall and already have my first batch of comfrey tea brewing. Hopefully it finishes before the neighbors realize what the odor is :pout:

As usual, I'm totally impressed with what you've done in your small space!

Terrific....and so fun to take a 'walk' with your thru your garden. I'm green with envy of course, remembering the prolific gardens of places not as arrid as our current location. :P Looks beautiful!

MtRider :lois:

Well Done, Viggie! You always do such great things! :thumbs:

Thank you, it's good to see you here :)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.