MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

I think the jalapeno salsa in Ball Blue Book is good, too.

I feel canned out this week ! However, I am juicing crabapples and making jelly now.... never a dull moment. I forget what a dull moment is.

Oh, Violet, what I would give for a dull moment! :bighug2:I had three questions to post for you and didn't make it here earlier and now don't remember. I'm sure I will wake up in the middle of the night and remember. LOL

3 pts of the Chunky Tomato Basil Sauce that Violet posted previously.

MIL is dropping off 1/2 a bushel of apples from their trees tomorrow morning so switching gears again to make applesauce.

7 pints of venison sausage. More later today. Gonna get ALL. My venison from last year canned over the next month, so we can start fresh with deer season again. That way I have all the canned stuff in smiley_shitfan.gif Or if the deer crop is bad ( although it looks very promising this year)darlenedance.gif

Do you have a recipe for the venison sausage? I hesitate to use my usual one because it contains sage and I was told sage makes a bitter sausage in the canner. thank you! I'm with you, I just started canning our venison for that reason and because we had a mild freezer scare!

7 pints of venison sausage. More later today. Gonna get ALL. My venison from last year canned over the next month, so we can start fresh with deer season again. That way I have all the canned stuff in smiley_shitfan.gif Or if the deer crop is bad ( although it looks very promising this year)darlenedance.gif

14 pints of pear preserves. 7 pints of dilled okra and a bushel of okra in the freezer. Some of it I fried down for gumbo, some I put meal on to be ready for frying or baking, and the rest I just blanched and froze for whatever!

I don't have a recipe for venison sausage thAt I have tried. We have ours made at the butcher shop. I have a book with several recipes in it, but I haven't tried them. Yet. We decided to give it a try this year ourselves...happy0203.gif

Midnightmom, yes, that is just the link to my flckr account. I don't know any other way to post pics!

No special recipe....we use actual hardwood coals (not briquettes) over medium high heat and cross hatch mark them on all sides of roast, then scoot to the side or a higher shelf for slow smoke to med rare and around 325 degrees in smoker. Snuff out flares with your favorite beer while splashing said beer all over beef! :)

Sliced them per Ball Meat instructions, hot pack into quart jars with boiling purified water, 1 tsp canning salt/quart. Processed @ 10 lbs for 1.5 hours. I am @ sea level.

Canning tomatoes. Just taking them out of the canner. Just half the box was ripe, so will have to wait to can the rest later. They look good, though. Not much floating at all. Canned some of the juice by itself since they had so much juice in them. No need to waste it!

Getting ready to take out 4 quarts and 1 pint of stew meat! My first try with beef. I can hardly wait to see how it looks!! I never sleep well when there is a hurricane brewing, so I figured I may as well do something productive.