MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

Nothing today, but picked another basket full of tomatoes that will need to be tended to tomorrow. I'm planning to make pico de gallo since we love it (my homemade recipe...'cause Mtn.Man doesn't like hot, I leave out jalapenos etc.). I'll just put some in a vacume sealed jar in the frig, and the rest I'll vacume seal with my vacume sealer & freeze.

Got about a half gallon of pico seasoning in the frig. I'll put some in jars & just refrigerate since we enjoy it so much. No sense trying to freeze it. Just ate the last of our first batch of applesauce from last year. Have one case left that I canned this spring. Apple season is coming up in about 3 weeks!

Applesauce. This is a bumper year for apples around here.

Wonderful to hear! We usually travel north into Missouri's "apple orchards" and hopefully if it does turn out to be a bumper crop, perhaps we won't have to give up an arm and a leg to get some! LOL

Put up 6 pints and 1 quart of sweet potatoes, a bag was given to me by mother along with 2 heads of cabbage & some corn. The quart jar didn't seal for some reason so we ate it for supper along with the corn on the cob & chicken nuggets. Pretty much a free din-din! I can to cabbage tomorrow. Been trying to do mostly canning right now since the garden is producting so much, and it's quicker to can that dehydrate. I've got alot of last year's produce etc., dehydrated already. Will probably drive to apple country this weekend and pick up some peaches (and apples if they have them yet) to get canned. I'm down to my last case of applesauce and we can't be without that! LOL Just can buy store bought stuff that taste good.

Have you canned cabbage before ? It is really strong in smell and taste. It is not recommended to can plain.

No, only cooked it down and dehydrated it. But...I already canned it (after watching several videos from Perbain & Myhalfacrehomestead etc.) before I thought I'd take a rest and visit my favorite web site. If it's too stinky & strong I'll just toss it or ???

• 2 weeks later...

Today I did a 5 jars pintos, 2 jars of beef, 4 jars beef broth (all pints). After dinner, I have mango sauce to cook & can. In the past week or os, I've also done peach mango jam & chicken stock. Tomorrow- maybe peach butter & blackberry jam. Oh & beans- I have 2 crockpots of beans soaking.

Woofty! In the past week or so, I've canned 62 jars of stuff PLUS 2 that didn't seal PLUS 1 loss- various beans, meat, jams, sauces, etc!! I have cinnamon peach butter to do today, too. I put it in the slow cooker overnight to thicken & will plop it into jars to can, but that's looking to be at least 10 jars of that. Beef stock, I think, is next. I've got my 16qt roaster oven going with beef bone broth. That should be ready Mon. morning to can. I also have a bag of blackberries to make jam with, so that's next week, I hope.

I wish I could do 60+ jars in a day like I used to, but my back doesn't allow it. I'm pretty happy with that in a few days :D

I'm still recovering from the terrible sinus infection from peeling & canning 4 pecks of peaches...that had come straight from the orchards. FULL of pollen! Even washing (obviously) didn't remove enough for me not to inhale so much of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Canned 7 qts of tomato juice this morning. Had enough left to make lasagne later today. Currently working on cutting up donated apples and cooking down to make apple sauce. Hope I have enough energy to process 4 dozen corn, which was also donated. Life is blessed. :-)

Not canning for a bit. I've got so many gallon bags of tomatoes in the freezers that I'll have a full mess when I start. The cherry tomatoes are still coming on strong, the okra is coming on, the mini-eggplants are doing fair to middlin and my herbs have all bolted so I'll grab some for seeds next year if I need them. The zucchini this year has been p-poor, the yellow squash "adequate" for us, the regular tomatoes have provided adequate for us, the yellow sweet peppers are yielding a few here and a few there. The Swiss Chard has done (and is still) great. The lettuce, radishes and carrots were a bust for the most part as were my green beans and peas. The lemon cucumbers are finally starting to show some promise. Everytime I planted the regular cuc's something ate them off at the ground (rabbits I think) so I just quit planting them and planted the lemon type. They struggled a bit but seem to be pulling out of the slump. My onions did real well but of course, they're done. I didn't plant any later squares this year. The garlic hopefully will come up this next spring but I'll still plant some more this fall. The berry bushes yielded a handfull here and a handful there, but this is only their 1st year for 2, and 2nd year for the other 2. Soooo canning is currently on hold for a little while until my freezer accumulates enough to motivate me to stand on my feet cleaning and prepping them for canning :-)