MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

The last is in the canners, for a total of 28 pints corn, 20 quarts of Nana's Yummy Corn Chowder, and 6 twelve oz., 12 eight oz. jars peach jelly. Everybody helpe and everybody's exhausted....Time for a little movie party!

Sat & Sun I did 19 pints of bread and butter pickles. Yesterday I finished 10 pints of diced tomatoes and 9 quarts of zucchini relish.

I'm hoping today to start on huckleberry jam and our volcano pickles. :D

39 quarts fruit cocktail, 9 twelve oz. pear jellies, made from the peels and guts of the pears, from the fruit cocktail, 19 twelve oz. peach nectars, and 79 pints of corn. We froze 3 gallons of corn, so we can CAN veggie soup...Later! Another 90 minutes on the canners. We are worn out! The house is covered in corn splatter!

We have 1 1/2 bushels of green beans to do, 4 gallons blueberries, more than 1/2 bushel of cucumbers and every counter top covered in zucchini and yellow squash. We need to pick pea pods, okra, tomatoes.

I know about that corn splatter!

It's a very busy and tiring time of year for all us canners, isn't it?

We have 1 1/2 bushels of green beans to do, 4 gallons blueberries, more than 1/2 bushel of cucumbers and every counter top covered in zucchini and yellow squash. We need to pick pea pods, okra, tomatoes.

I know about that corn splatter!

It's a very busy and tiring time of year for all us canners, isn't it?

Well the stuff wouldn't sweep up, so thought it would sweep up, once dry, but NOPE! It's stuck like glue, so off to wash that stinkin mess....So for all of you that want a bigger kitchen...Think about THIS....625 square feet, on my hands and knees.....UGH! No one around here, wants to hear the word CORN today! They will come winter though!

mom11, been there, done that :) It can be a real mess.

Well....I DID get 20 cases of filled jars washed, labelled, sent to the basement, but DID NOT get the floor washed...I DID bribe two chicks, with $$ to do it for me, so we will see........I am so tired, I could just crawl, but so are they, but with a little $$, it's funny how energized they become.

I know it! I get so tired this time of year that I forget what "rested" even feels like!

Today, we can the blueberries and nectarines. We did 35 qts of nectarines Friday. We've got both dehydrators full of nectarines, Sungold tomatoes, summer squash, etc. We borrowed SIL's steam juice and plan to try some nectarines in it. A friend told me they did some and canned the juice with a little orange juice mixed in. She said it was really good. We have 8 bushels of nectarines to do so thought we'd try some juice.

I'd better get to work! Best wishes to all you tired canners:)

19 pints of Italian seasoned stewed tomatoes. this week 26 trays of dried tomatoes, 2 trays zuchinni, 3 trays assorted peppers.

Just got off the phone with DD....one of the Attorneys she works for just gave her a bucket of figs. She wants to know if we can make fig jam with them. OF COURSE WE CAN. And eat and dehydrate and eat and maybe if theres enuf left, we can make jam. Haha. She said the tree is loaded with figs, yay, one of my favorites. And maybe fig newtons if I can find the recipe........pigz

Well, after I got thru stuffing my face with figs, I managed to make 27 1/2pints of fig jam. Gave 24 of them to DD, 3 for me! Then two days ago 14 pints of peach pie filling.

I'm almost out of ClearGel, have enough left for 1 more batch of peach pie filling, so I checked online to get more. Wow what a difference in prices. Most I saw were $25-$30. for 5 lbs. plus shipping. Duh, checked Rocky Mountain Spice where I got the last 5 lb bag and they only want $18.95. None locally, so I had to order it.

Last night I canned 28 pints of diced Roma tomatoes in their own juice and 8 pints of Romas in big chunks. That handy-dandy onion chop wizard thingy my son got me made diceing tomatoes real easy. Just blanch, peel and cut in 1/2 length ways, then into the chopper and ta-da diced tomatoes! Love it!

Today, its more fig jam, more tomatoes and 3 boxes of big pears. And Hubby just came in with 2 25lb boxes of peaches. Oh joy! Better get busy now.

The garden has downsized since we travel so much. We also eat a lot less as we grow older.

Even though I plant to eat fresh, yesterday I squeaked out 7 pints of chili sauce before picking up DH at the airport. He liked the smell of tomatoes and vinegar after working in S.E. Asia. :grinning-smiley-044:;-)

I just finished 102 pints of salsa, whew my feet are tired! This year I kept up on the mess and didn't rush to get the canner loaded as quickly, it made for much easier cleaning at the end of it. My store of canning lids are gone though, I can't find a Canadian supplier of bulk lids and to order them from the USA costs too much in shipping :(

Foxglove.

Foxglove, have you tried Goldas Kitchen? It's a Canadian store. They carry bulk Bernardin lids and even have some of the GEM lids and rings. www.kitchenware.goldaskitchen.com is the website. I have ordered from there several times and never had a problem. Several months ago I thought I made a great score on 3 cases of jars for $3 a case, only to realise when I got home they are GEM jars! So I ordered rings and lids from Goldas so I can at least use the jars.

pigzzilla