MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

Hmmm...this must be a duplicate thread or ??? Anyway, got some turkey jarred up earlier today and then lotsa stock. Don't know if the stock sealed or not. I've never canned stock and they were really making a racket, popping up then down, then up, then down. Guess we'll see in the morning :-) If not, guess we'll buy some ice cube trays to pour it into and freeze it.

Sealed perfectly :-)

Finished up most of the sweet potatoe we bought on sale. They sure look pretty! I always put a healthy dose of lemon juice in the water when I bring them to a low boil. They really stay nice...as I put them in my jars and add boiling water. All sealed by one so it's available for eating :-) Figure I didn't get the rim cleaned off good enough or had too much head space. But...stuff like that happens! LOL

We were given a turkey breast as a gift this week. I know it's over 5 pounds. I'm glad I didn't run into that live turkey during the night. :grinning-smiley-044:

Today, it's cooking in the crock-pot and will be canned after I get back from a funeral. I generally like to can meat in pints. Living in Europe taught me to use less meat. They don't make it the 'main' ingredient on plates. B)

That's great Homesteader!!! :woohoo:

I always buy just the breast at Thanksgiving. Especially since I live alone and don't really like the dark meat. Those things are HUGE.

I like canning in pits pints too. You can always add another pint if one isn't enough.

Edited because I can in PINTS not my arm PITS. I'm too ticklish for that.

Edited by Jeepers

We can in pints also; except ofr bacon, sausage and hamburger. Finished up a nice batch of half pints of peppered bacon that we got on sale a few months ago, at one of the Amish/Mennonite stores we shop at. They're the ends and pieces, so we had several healthy chunks that I wrapped and put in the frig and will use them for some beans :-)

I ended up with 7 pints of turkey breast. The 8th one lost the bottom of the jar (in the pressure canner). I'm not sure if that was one of the jars I picked up at the charity shop over the Thanksgiving holiday or not. It does happen so I'm not grieving too much. There was lots of juice from the breast meat in the slowcooker. I used it as broth in the pint jars and finished the last inch with hot water. I had noticed while dusting the pantry shelves that I had canned the chicken last year in 1/2 pint jars. I think I'll make 2+ meals from the pint jars. We don't need as much meat protein as we think we do in the Western world. :hi:

• 2 weeks later...

I canned up a bunch of pints of raspberry and strawberry jams the past several days. I guess we'll have to eat the one strawberry jam that didn't seal. I think it will be wonderful over hot mile-high biscuits. :cheer:

Or over a block of cream cheese with some wheat crackers! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Finished up the rest of the hamburger that we had in the Homestead's freezer. Now we'll be vacuum sealing some of the peppered bacon we bought. We canned the first box, but will vacuum seal this box...tomorrow maybe? It's in bags in the frig for the time being. May just east some of it like we did this morning! LOL

I cooked up a huge turkey breast (with bone) for neighbors staying with us during the power outage. I took the remainder and canned it, plus 5 qts of broth from boiling the bone. Like I said, it was a huge turkey breast, maybe 10 pounds. It was given to us, so it was even sweeter how it fed so many and added to our larder. :hapydancsmil:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I prefer to can when it's cool-cold weather...and that's what we've got right now :-( But I didn't pull anything out of the deep freeze so guess it will wait a bit more. Just don't feel much like canning right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Seven quarts of chili and leftovers for three more meals. Someone gave us 5# of hamburger and large can of diced tomatoes. I added spices, and onions and tomato juice from our garden last year. Could only fit 7 quarts in my canner so refrigerated the remaining three meals for meals this coming week. What a great gift. :hapydancsmil:

• 3 weeks later...

Way to go Homesteader! I find I don't eat as many dried beans as I do the canned ones too. I usually only make a pot or two in the winter but I will pop open a can of them all year long. I sort of worry about them getting hard-er and not cooking up during storage. I remember CGA ( :engel-smilies-10-1:) talking about how some of her beans wouldn't get soft no matter how long she cooked them. I'm still storing the dried ones but not as many.