MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

• 2 weeks later...

Daelith, the jam sounds so good, and I have some frozen blueberries that need to be used up to make way for fresh. Would you mind sharing your recipe?

I used the recipe at this site - http://www.food.com/recipe/blueberry-lemon-jam-118236

There is also a recipe in The All New Ball Book of Canning and Preserving on page 60.

Got another 5 pints of green beans from my garden canned today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Plum jam.

I noticed Certo has changed the recipe. Used to be, fill jars, lid & flip upside down, let sit 5 minutes & flip right side up. And the amount of butter went from 1tablespoon to 1/2 teaspoon. Now the instructions include WB for 10 minutes.

image.jpeg

post-45-0-82842600-1468987099_thumb.jpgThat's hard to believe about Certo, Jeepers!

Today, I pressure canned 24 pints of Rotel Tomatoes. Done until the elderberries are ripe. And I need a bigger pressure canner to stack pints and save time! And a canning buddy. A lot of work for one.

That all looks good.

Yeah...my feet can't handle large batch canning anymore...

I've thought about getting a stool that puts me high enough to reach the counter so I could sit while doing the prep work. Still kicking myself for not grabbing the one out of my dad's shop while cleaning out his estate. It would have been perfect.

I use a stool and it does help. I got one of those rubbery gel mat things to stand on in front of the sink too. I just got a cheapy one at Wal-Mart. I'm not sure if it helps or not but it does feel good on the feet. I'm always barefoot in the house so standing on the mat is an improvement. :rolleyes:

I finished pickling 5 pints of beets yesterday. All the hard work was done on Saturday. The recipe was from my grandma and her SIL. I could just envision them canning back in the 20's and 30's. They only lived a few blocks from each other. Both were excellent cooks and made something from nothing throughout the Depression years. :grinning-smiley-044:

Made sweet pickle relish this weekend. I put the onions in it anyway since DH was making faces about the bell pepper. :happy0203: Got 5 1/2 half pints.

Thinking about making bread and butter pickles next.

Homesteader - That is neat about your grandmother and her SIL.

I just hope pickled beets taste better than plain. I tried some store bought (Libby's) for the first time ever a few weeks ago. :yuk: My dogs liked them though.

Edited by Daelith