MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

Funny...I pulled a quart jar of sweet garlic pickles that I jarred up 2 years ago and have truly been enjoying them...ALL BY MY LITTLE OLE SELF!  (hubby doesn't like pickles unless I chop these up into relish-type thing for tartar sauce).

• Like 2

Of course,  but gotta grow the veggies first, AND dig out the canner from wherever it is packed from moving.....groan.....

There is also a neat little veggie stand off the beaten path in my town, I need to go check it out.  The raw honey is a real draw for me.  I also found a stand that sells raw green peanuts (at an exorbitant price --- gahhhh!!) so I can try the recipe I have for canning boiled peanuts in the shell.  They have to be tastier than the last batch I bought from a stand, which tasted barely seasoned.  

So not canning yet, but planning....does that count?

• Like 3

Boiled peanuts are common in Hawaii.  Don't know why cuz they aren't grown there.  They are softer...definitely not mushy.  Salty.  Wet.  I liked them.

MtRider  ....never heard of canning peanuts in the whole shell.  :canning:

Will start some jarring up before too much longer.  Gonna buy Amish for the produce and put that back and find some good meats and put that up too.  I have lots of dried beans so I need to do some for pork-n-beans, chili beans and black beans.  Put up plenty of jelly and fruits last year so I'm good on those.  Just finished a squat jar of raspberry preserves last week and finished off the last pint of blueberry syrup that I put up last year...yummy on all front! LOL

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 9:55 PM, Annarchy said:

The carrot harvest is done. It doesn’t look like much, but the blister on my hand tells me differently. :008Laughing:

Hopefully, I will get to the beets next week. 

26CEE178-A867-491B-AD22-7B82FC6237C0.jpeg

What wonderful looking food!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kyle's mom, boiled peanuts are like the canned ones at Wal-mart.  They are still in the shell, and inside they are cooked, kinda like cooked dry beans.  Not the taste one would expect (like peanut butter) but tasty nonetheless.  I prefer the plain (they are salted), but many folks swear by the Cajun flavored around here.  I like to try them whenever I see a stand.  They serve them up in a huge Styrofoam cup, still warm.  I usually go overboard and eat them all at once!  The canned ones are a good place to try them although the food snobs might say they are inferior, I think they are just fine.  I have a couple cans in my pantry.  

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2018 at 1:13 AM, Jeepers said:

I would imagine the vodka might help preserve it  longer too. Not sure. 

Yes, it does Jeeps.  This time I didn't put in any Mullein or Yarrow since it's "tea" doesn't keep as well.  I'll just brew those up should we need them.  They are wonderful for your health during cold/allergy and flu seasons.  

• Like 3

HAVE BEEN CANNING 200 LBS OF APPLES AND HAVE 14 TREES TO GO YET AND HAVE BEEN CANNING 125 LBS OF HAMBURGER AND NOW WILL BUTCHER MY HOGS   -4 LARGE ONES AND WILL CAN CHUNKS   FOR BAR B QUE AND SHREDDED  PORK AND SWEET AND SOUR AND OTHER THING, I AM BACK AND HAVE BEEN CANNING THE TIME I HAVE BEEN GONE AND HAVE  HAD TO BUY A PALLET OF JARS  (EQUAL) TO, THE OTHER DAY RAN OUT OF PINTS AGAIN  SO BOUGHT 10 CASES AND A FRIEND GOT ME ANOTHER CASE...SO YOU SEE I HAVE BEEN BUSY BUSY ..THEN WITH THE RADIO SHOW I DO 5 DAYS A WEEK AND GARDEN AND GOATS AND CHICKENS ..USED TO HAVE  COWS  BUT SOME ONE SHOT THE LAST COW WHEN SHE WAS ON THE RIVER BAR ...TAKE CARE AND KEEP THE FAITH   MOTHEREARTH

• Like 5

I HAVE 2 ALL AMERICANS GOING WITH ALOT MORE TO CAN

JUST HARVESTED THE RHUBARB AND GOT A BUCKET  (5 gallon) worth  did some celery got a 5 gallon bucket of that

and pulled  some carrots and 5 cabbages  so looks like i will making some thing   , celery goes in dryer and carrots and cabbage i will can, rhubarb will go in freezer  as i have sauce and this is the third picking, take care and keep the faith

motherearth

• Like 4

i do pints and quarts and 1/2 pints  pints for some hamburger and corn beef, 1/2 pints for all jellys and butters and quarts for green beans  soups and most fruits and tomato and spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce goes in 1/2 pt and pt...have over 4000 jars

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's awesome Motherearth!!   :canning:

Do you have a link to your radio program? I'd definitely listen even if it's a replay.  (OOPS NEVER MIND, I JUST SAW IT IN ANOTHER SECTION)

Are you using Ball lids or Tattler? I'm thinking of buying some generic lids from Lehmans and wonder if they are just as good.

Welcome back!

Edited by Jeepers
More Info

as far as lids i buy lids  in the sleeve like the ones from lehmans, have a friend who lives close to a Amish store and he sends themm to me and i pay him back, but  a friend  found a place we can buy them by the case and i will try to get the link for all....take care and keep the faith   mom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2