MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Darlene

What are you canning today? Part 8

Funny...I pulled a quart jar of sweet garlic pickles that I jarred up 2 years ago and have truly been enjoying them...ALL BY MY LITTLE OLE SELF!  (hubby doesn't like pickles unless I chop these up into relish-type thing for tartar sauce).

• Like 1

Of course,  but gotta grow the veggies first, AND dig out the canner from wherever it is packed from moving.....groan.....

There is also a neat little veggie stand off the beaten path in my town, I need to go check it out.  The raw honey is a real draw for me.  I also found a stand that sells raw green peanuts (at an exorbitant price --- gahhhh!!) so I can try the recipe I have for canning boiled peanuts in the shell.  They have to be tastier than the last batch I bought from a stand, which tasted barely seasoned.  

So not canning yet, but planning....does that count?

• Like 2

Kappydell - I have never had boiled peanuts.  Are the commercially canned kind you buy at Wal-Mart good?  Wondering what the texture is like, are they soft?

Boiled peanuts are common in Hawaii.  Don't know why cuz they aren't grown there.  They are softer...definitely not mushy.  Salty.  Wet.  I liked them.

MtRider  ....never heard of canning peanuts in the whole shell.  :canning:

Will start some jarring up before too much longer.  Gonna buy Amish for the produce and put that back and find some good meats and put that up too.  I have lots of dried beans so I need to do some for pork-n-beans, chili beans and black beans.  Put up plenty of jelly and fruits last year so I'm good on those.  Just finished a squat jar of raspberry preserves last week and finished off the last pint of blueberry syrup that I put up last year...yummy on all front! LOL

• Like 3

I finished off my last can of bean soup a couple of days ago. Everything is packed away and I don't want to drag it out.

• Sad 1

The carrot harvest is done. It doesn’t look like much, but the blister on my hand tells me differently. :008Laughing:

Hopefully, I will get to the beets next week. 

26CEE178-A867-491B-AD22-7B82FC6237C0.jpeg

• Like 4

On 5/25/2018 at 9:55 PM, Annarchy said:

The carrot harvest is done. It doesn’t look like much, but the blister on my hand tells me differently. :008Laughing:

Hopefully, I will get to the beets next week. 

26CEE178-A867-491B-AD22-7B82FC6237C0.jpeg

What wonderful looking food!

I have been collecting the ripe tomatoes.  More than I have ever gotten. Normally, I was excited to get one or two before the heat cooked them or the birds got them. 

6D494B3F-6001-48F5-8B9F-ED7A12702D17.jpeg

• Like 2

Kyle's mom, boiled peanuts are like the canned ones at Wal-mart.  They are still in the shell, and inside they are cooked, kinda like cooked dry beans.  Not the taste one would expect (like peanut butter) but tasty nonetheless.  I prefer the plain (they are salted), but many folks swear by the Cajun flavored around here.  I like to try them whenever I see a stand.  They serve them up in a huge Styrofoam cup, still warm.  I usually go overboard and eat them all at once!  The canned ones are a good place to try them although the food snobs might say they are inferior, I think they are just fine.  I have a couple cans in my pantry.  

Canned boiled peanuts....at the store?  Not something we'd find in CO but HI might have had them.  :shrug:  Another protein...

MtRider :pc_coffee: 

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.