MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

Hi Pigzzilla

Goldas Kitchen only has the standard mouth in the bulk and 90% of my jars are wide mouth. I just emailed them today asking if they can get the wide mouth lids. I also contacted WellsCan to see if they can get bulk lids in otherwise both Goldas & Wellscan's prices for the box of a dozen lids are more than what I pay at a store in my neighbourhood.

Foxglove

A store out here has 5-pound bags of potatoes for $1 each and I would love to get some and can them, but I'm terrified of getting potato dirt in the jar and then having botulism in my potatoes. :( How do you can potatoes with confidence?

Maybe I'll get some and stick 'em in my dehydrator! LOLOL

I use the recipe in the Ball Blue Book. Wash - peel- wash again. I rinse the peeler as I go, too.

I need to figure out how to dry them. I want to make hashbrowns but I don't know how to cut then let alone where to begin. :rolleyes:

A store out here has 5-pound bags of potatoes for $1 each and I would love to get some and can them, but I'm terrified of getting potato dirt in the jar and then having botulism in my potatoes. :( How do you can potatoes with confidence?

I have 33 minutest left on the last 7 quarts of corn for today. Once they are done I will have done 21 quarts of corn. That brings the corn total to 41 quarts for this year. This is the first time I did corn and I wish I could grow it because I think I would have a 100 jars of it. It was so much to do. I know that makes me sound crazy.... LOL! :P

You just peel them and wash them off. They will be fine !

For hashbrowns you have to blanch the potatoes.

DRYING POTATOES

Wash and peel potatoes and cut them into shoestring

strips 1/4 inch thick or cut into slices 1/8 inch thick.

Blanch pieces in steam for 6 to 8 minutes or in water

for 5 to 6 minutes. Dry 4 to 6 hours in a dehydrator or 6

to 10 hours in an oven.

Because I always listen to Violet, I am now in possession of 20 pounds of potatoes, which I shall commence canning shortly. ;) hehehe

I also have 30 pounds of apples and 15 pounds of pears...as soon as I find a recipe for pear butter, I'm going to get in my canning groove!! :D

just finishing up 5 quarts of applepear sauce. Staring at a large bowl of plums and a large bowl of oranges and wondering what to do next... Oh, and somewhere in there, I need to peel and prepare 14 ears of corn for freezing. (only my DH can eat corn,,,)

Edited by nini2033a

Canned 26 lb. peaches, 50 lb. of tomatoes, and 4 pints of green beans the past three days. Those were the worst tomatoes I have ever seen ! Sprouting seeds inside, not much flavor, too much juice. I got ripped !

Oh well, they are done now.

Going to buy some tomatoes someplace else and also see about corn to freeze.

I canned up carrots yesterday. Most did well. But I had 4 quarts (last batch) that siphoned really bad. The liquid is down to the neck of the jar. They sealed fine. But I am worried. I put the jars in the fridge until I got an answer to whether they were ok to put on the shelf or not?

Yart, the carrots are fine. The top ones may darken a bit, but they are safe.

I canned 4 pints of green beans. Boy, we don't get many at a time, but they add up. I am tired out. Need to find a place to store all of this still.

Having more fun with my new drapes in the family room today.