MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Romans 14:5

Heavenly Father,

I have no idea where this prayer will go as I begin it this morning. I can say that I feel that I have been away for way too long, which compared to times in the past, isn't as long as it's been other times.

I think it has more to do with the fact that this "busyness" that has been going on for a couple of months now (all legitimate busyness too, per se), has eroded into the private, personal time I spend with You as I handle various things during my days.

This should be, and is, a major red flag. I can look back now and see how, just as I was about to take one more step towards You in my relationship, something that for all intents and purposes is a valid need for my time and attention, seems to slam inbetween me and You. For a while now, I just kept thinking that soon things would calm back down, but they're not. I don't like the direction this river of life is taking me, so with many pressing things that need my attention right now, I'm sitting here again, saying just like I said in the last Romans study I did, that I'm not budging from this spot until I spend some time with You.

Help me Father...I feel overwhelmed and can't seem to keep my priorities straight...first You and then everything else. Forgive me for that because as I sit here and think about this, my heart feels grieved and a little ashamed that I've fallen prey to the enemy's tactics once again.

I just got done taking the neighbors 2 nephews (aged 7 and 10) and family around the farm, showing them all the animals You've blessed me with. I have 2 workers coming at any minute but Father, I want You more...and I can't shake the feeling that if I don't stop and put an end to all these obvious interruptions that are not from You that before long I'll end up in real spiritual trouble and that puts fear in my heart. On my own will alone, I'm a disaster, but with You...You are my hope, so I need You Father. You know this feeling in my heart, I don't need to try to explain it for everyone else, and I know that You will be faithful to its humble request and genuine confession of my great need for You.

Once again, take my life to do with as You will for I want Your will, and not mine.

Bless the study today Father...I feel a happiness in my heart as I embark once again into Your Word.

I love You and miss You.

In Jesus Name I pray,

5. One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day [alike]. Let each man be fully assured in his own mind.

The rvbv writes in regard to the 5th verse: "Here Paul takes up the "day question," - a live one to this hour! You instantly say, Is not the Lord's Day above others? No, not in itself, as a "holy" day, in the sense that the Sabbath was and will be to Israel. Paul shows this plainly in his exhortation of Colossians 2:16: "Let no man judge you...in respect of...a sabbath day." For, says he, you died with Christ unto earthly religious things; and must not now "observe" them. This passage shows that the first day of the week is not the "sabbath" at all. All those days of Judaism were "shadows." "But the body is Christ's." But you say, I am not a Jew; the day has been changed. To which I answer, you speak as might a Jew; for the day has not been "changed". There is but one weekly Sabbath shown in Scripture and that is the seventh day. It will even be observed again weekly, in the land of Israel, after "the six working days," of each week in the coming age, the Millennium (Ezek. 46:1,3,4). Because men have been wrongly taught or influenced, whether by Judaizing believers in the early Christian centuries, or alas, by Reformers and Puritans since the Reformation, most Christians regard the first day of the week as "the weekly Sabbath," a "holy day," - which entirely defeats its proper Scripture use. It substitutes a stern legal must for grace's sweet word, privilege. "The so-called Puritan teaching here has been rightly called 'an adulterous theology'; because it sought to marry believers to both husbands, to the Law and to Christ" (Scofield).

Howbeit, let us remain in the spirit of this fifth verse, which is one of love: Another regardeth every day [alike]. The weak brother, still influenced in his conscience by legal considerations, held the first day of the week as peculiar and sacred in itself. (Paul is evidently not speaking here of "various Jewish feasts and festivals." as some claim. Paul has nothing but the severest reprimands for those who turn to "observing days, and months, and seasons and years" (Gal. 4:10), and calls Judaism "weak and beggarly rudiments," now, - like the old idolatry (vv. 8:9); and in Colossians 2:14: "The bond which was contrary to us" having been nailed to the cross, he classes feast days and new moons along with "a sabbath day"; and asks believers not to let themselves be "judged" about them.

With such observances, the Christian had nothing to do. But as to the first day of the week, marked out by the resurrection of our Lord, and His appearings to the disciples, as also by the breaking of bread (Acts 20:7,8), and the Christian's systematic giving (I Cor. 16:2), the matter was different. The Christians gathered on the first day, they remembered the Lord at His table on that evening, weekly. (I say, "evening," for it was so at the beginning - John 20:19, Acts 20:7). God has indeed graciously so ordered things now, that we have the whole day. Yet look at Russia! And the same godlessness is spreading over the whole earth. Living faith in Christ, - not any kind of bondage, can sustain us.)

He invested it with the restrictions of a jewish sabbath, instead of hailing it with fresh joy each week as an opportunity for remembering, with other Christians, his Lord; and our place in the new creation with Him.

Now, the strong believer regarded every day alike. Each day alike was an opportunity for him to be filled with the Spirit, and in everything by word or deed giving thanks unto God the Father through Him. No day, thus, was holy in itself, above another! Privilege there was on the Lord's Day, but no bondage. Paul's instruction is, Let each man be fully assured in his own mind. Moses never could have said a thing like that! There is a sense in which these words reveal our liberty in Christ as does no other single passage. The Law allowed no liberty of action in such things: its very spirit and essence was bondage to a letter. Conscience was judged beforehand by the letter of the Law; conduct was prescribed. When a man gathered sticks on the Sabbath, he was stoned! Not so, now! Not being under the Law, or the legal principle, but in the Risen Christ, under God's eternal favor, we have entered upon what the Spirit, in Chapter Twelve, calls our "intelligent service". Here is an amazing sphere of holy freedom in which each of us, learning the truth, is treated as a king in the realm of his own mind. Instead of being told what he must or must not do, he is freely exhorted to assure his own mind and heart fully, and walk as Christ's free man. Read Alford's trenchant note below:

"The Apostle decides nothing; leaving every man's own mind to guide him in the point. He classes the observance of non-observance of particular days, with the eating or abstaining from particular meats. In both cases, he is concerned with things which he evidently treats as of absolute indifference in themselves. Now the question is, supposing the Divine obligation of one day in seven to have been recognized by him in any form, could he have thus spoken? The obvious inference from his strain or arguing is, that he knew of no such obligation, but believed all times and days to be, to the Christian strong in faith, ALIKE. I do not see how the passage can be otherwise understood. If any one day in the week were invested with the sacred character of the Sabbath, it would have been wholly impossible for the Apostle to commend or uphold the man who judged all days worthy of equal honor, - who, as in verse 6, paid no regard to the (any) day. He must have visited him with his strongest disapprobation, as violating a command of God. I therefore infer, that sabbatical obligation to keep any day, whether seventh or first, was not recognized in apostolic times. It must be carefully remembered, that this inference does not concern the question of the observance of the Lord's Day as an institution of the Christian Church, analogous to the ancient Sabbath, but not in any way inheriting the Divinely-appointed obligation of the others, or the strict prohibitions by which its sanctity was defended. The reply commonly furnished to these considerations, viz., that the Apostle was speaking here only of JEWISH festivals, and therefore cannot refer to Christian ones, is a quibble of the poorest kind: its assertors themselves distinctly maintaining the obligation of one such Jewish festival on Christians. What I maintain is, that had the Apostle believed as they do, he could not by any possibility have written thus. Besides, in the face of "every day" the assertion is altogether unfounded." (Alford: New Test., in loc.)."

Heavenly Father,

Thank You for today's study. Thank You for Your Word. Thank You for my salvation, my relationship with You. You are everything I need, and want, first and foremost in my life.

And I say that publically because I'm serious when I say it. Maybe some will not understand but You know my heart and know the intensity of how much I feel and believe that to be true.

Be with me, and us today Father. Let Your Spirit flow abundantly throughout our hearts and minds and let every thought and action I take today, honor You because that is what my heart feels this morning.

I love You.

In Jesus Name I pray,

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.