MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hello from N. Mississippi

RebelDigger

Hello there! I have to say I have been lurking around for a while and just love this forum, you folks are great! I decided to register so I could join in the fun.

I am a 47 year old mother of two, step mother of two and grandma to two beautiful little girls. I live with my DH in a 118 year old Victorian house on a half acre lot in the middle of our little village. Hubby wants to move, he wants more acreage and way out in the boonies. I have mixed feelings but, since I am the one who is the prepper in the family I see the feasibility. It would also be neat to have enough land to get a cow, some pigs and more chickens (I have 13 but would love to have more). So, we shall see what we shall see. It is in God's hands, if He wants me elsewhere then the perfect place will happen.

I am a Southern girl to the core of my being, with Southern roots going back to 1642 in Virginia. I graduated from Ole Miss with a degree in archaeology hence my user name and I love the old ways. I am also a Civil War reenactress and have learned a lot about living the 19th Century low tech life from that. I used to run a business called Allie's Trunk and made mid 19th Century clothing for lady's. My specialties were corsets and cage crinolines. Now, I only sew for myself and family and am getting back into quilting. I sew on a Singer 66 treadle sewing machine, my other machine is also a Singer 66 with a motor but it mostly stays in it's case in the corner since I prefer the treadle.

Anyway, there are a few facts about moi Glad to be here with like minded people.

Maggie

Ohhh, Cool! Someone regularly using a treadle machine who can report on it for others! Westbrook had experience with a lot of machines, but she's been gone from the boards an awful long time.

groupsmile.gif

Whatever you're interested in exploring, just ask. Chances are we have just what you need somewhere around here... **shuffles papers around**...

:bighug2:

Hi, RebelDigger!

It is so nice to have you here. I joined this site recently, too! When I was a little girl, I wanted to be either an archaeologist or a paleontologist. In the end, I studied neither but I still think that those are interesting fields. I look forward to reading your posts.

Thanks ya'll. I figured Louis must be a Mississippi State type of person. Around Ole Miss we refer to it as the "Cow College". :P

Cat I would be happy to help anyone out with treadles that needs it. Actually, restoring them is one of my hobbys. I am working on a Singer 27 right now. I guess the oldest machine I restored was an 1867 Florence, odd looking critter. I got it a new home in Denmark. Boy was that a heck of a shipping experience!

Themartianchick, I started out with an interest in paleontology as well but then I discovered King Tut and Howard Carter. When I was 12 my parents took me to Etowah Indian Mounds in Georgia. At that time the dig was going on and the archaeology grad students let me have a trowel. After that I was a goner.

Welcome, so glad you're here and posting! My DH found me a treadle in an antique store and is still tweeking it. I can't wait to play with it. My machine of choice is my Singer 221. I love it!!!

Welcome RebelDigger! I too may ask for your expertise sometime. I inherited my grandmother's Singer treadle. She used to sew my mother's clothes and make quilts with it. The last 10 years she was alive she was unable to use it due to needing repairs and no where to take it around here. Maybe if I ever get around to repairing it you can help. Not to worry though. My Granny's been passed on for 11 years and I still haven't made any efforts to fix it. :whistling:

Archived