MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Darlene

Romans 15:5-7

Heavenly Father,

I feel the need to be right here at the moment...in this prayer, about to embark on the next few scriptures in Romans. So I sit here, not quite knowing where to begin...just knowing that I need to be in this prayer.

The thought just flashed through my mind of something that illustrates what's going on in my life at the moment. It's as if my life is a tornado that is spinning around and around with great force. It isn't something I can control or stop and I see various things...things that are important to me, people that are important to me, caught up in the winds that surround me. And yet, I find myself in the eye of this tornado where all is calm and the winds aren't reaching me. The light of Your Son glows from above down the center of this tornado and fills me with Your peace.

There are moments when I feel a need to reach out from the safety and security of the eye of this storm, feeling like I need to grasp onto this person or that person...this situation or that situation that is caught up in what appears to be the destructive winds of this tornado. My heart yearns to, desires to and yet I know that it's all too big for me and that there isn't anything I alone, can do. I also feel my heart drawn towards the center of that eye where I'm realizing (inspite of the storm circling around me) that I'm safe. Things are too big these days for me to be foolish enough to think that I, on my own merit, can reach out and grasp from the tornado's wrath, those people and things that lay heavy on my heart.

Nor do You want me to, for it is You and You alone, Who are God. I may lift my heart, interceeding in prayer, but it is my trust that You desire...trusting You in all ways with all things. IF and I mean IF You desire me to do something, even that will be at Your direction, which continues to require that I trust You.

And then, verses from Your Word begin to play over and over in my heart and mind...

"Keep me as the apple of the eye; Hide me in the shadow of Your wings from the wicked who despoil me, my deadly enemies who surround me."

"How precious is Your steadfast love, O God! The children of men take refuge and put their trust under the shadow of Your wings."

"BE MERCIFUL and gracious to me, O God, be merciful and gracious to me, for my soul takes refuge and finds shelter and confidence in You; yes, in the shadow of Your wings will I take refuge and be confident until calamities and destructive storms are passed."

"On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night. Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me."

"HE WHO dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall remain stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty [Whose power no foe can withstand].

I will say of the Lord, He is my Refuge and my Fortress, my God; on Him I lean and rely, and in Him I [confidently] trust!

For [then] He will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence.

[Then] He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings shall you trust and find refuge; His truth and His faithfulness are a shield and a buckler.

You shall not be afraid of the terror of the night, nor of the arrow (the evil plots and slanders of the wicked) that flies by day,

Nor of the pestilence that stalks in darkness, nor of the destruction and sudden death that surprise and lay waste at noonday."

So for me Father, the eye of the storm equals "the shadow of Your wings". Somehow You've taught me to be content beneath Your wings, and not only content but I sometimes find myself fleeing to this safe place. Gone are the days when I refused to comply...the days when I had to keep my hand in everything (out of fear that if I didn't 'help', that things would fall apart even worse. I guess that's a nice way of putting "I didn't trust You, or trust You enough, or was afraid to trust You". Christ's words come to mind when His heart was mourning over Jerusalem: "How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling."

Ouch.

Unwilling.

How many times have You mourned over me when I was unwilling?

So I guess Father God that I've taken the long road to express my heartfelt gratitude and love for where I find myself right now. I mention all the above because there's a part of me that is surprised in these changes You've wrought in me...I spent most of my life living the opposite.

But the shadow of Your wings Father...oh how that illustration touches my heart. It is so tender, so loving, so safe and secure, so peaceful.

And so truthful. It really is true...Your heart not just desires, but longs for us to gather in close to You. It doesn't matter the tornadic winds that circle around us...our hearts, our affections...our trust and our clinging, has to be on You...our Heavenly Father, our God.

Make us all willing Father God. Do for us, that which we cannot do for ourselves. Because as I sit here and ponder the words that I write I have to confess that as I look back and see where I am at now, I didn't do anything to accomplish it. Everytime I've declared "I'M DONE!!!!!" Your hand reaches out and wraps around me, drawing me back in, calming me until the panic, hurt, confusion (whatever it is at the time) subsides and the reality of Your peace grows stronger in my heart...and the power of Your love leaves me no choice but to love You back because Your love is unlike any I've ever known.

Father, this is my prayer, these are my thoughts...this is my heart publically bared open before You. It doesn't matter if it makes sense to them...I know that the itensity of the emotion that eminates from my heart as I write these words is real and true and as You hear them, as You feel my heart as I express it...I don't know Father...I can't say I know how it makes Your heart feel, but I can say that I feel the power of Your presence grow and that makes me want to cry because it touches my heart, and there You go again...zapping me with Your peace.

I really am comfortable with crying yanno, but lately in many circumstances You prohibit me with Your peace.

And THAT puts a smile on my face because not only do I love You so very, very much...I like You.

Ok Father, that's enough...I'd like to do the Romans study today lol. If there's anything I can do today Father that would bless You, then that's my heart's desire. It is You that is always blessing us, and right now, I'd like to bless You.

In Jesus Name I pray,

5. Now the God of patience and of comfort grant you to be of the same mind one with another according to Christ Jesus:

6. That with one accord ye may with one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

7. Wherefore receive ye one another, even as Christ also received you, to the glory of God.

Watchman Nee comments on the Word "Christ Jesus" in the 5th verse and states, "The preceding verse mentions the Scriptures and the instructions contained in them. However, in the concluding word in this verse, God sets up Christ Jesus as the standard for the church life that we may do everything in the church life according to Him, not taking any doctrine or knowledge as the standard. This will issue in the one accord mentioned in v. 6."

In the 6th verse, Watchman Nee comments on "That with one accord..." and writes: "The Greek word means with the same mind, will, and purpose. This is to be one in our whole being and results in our being one in our outward speaking. Whenever we are in one accord, we speak the same thing; we speak with one mouth. This oneness is the reverse of Babel, where the division among mankind caused their language to become confused and divided into many different speakings (Gen. 11:7, 9). The only way to be with one accord and one mouth is to allow Christ the room to be everything in our heart and in our mouth that God may be glorified."

The rvbv writes in regard to verses 5 and 6: "Paul asks here that the same God who gave to the Old Testament saints and to the apostles "endurance" and "comfort of the Scriptures," may grant that we may be "like-minded, loving as brethren" (I Peter 3:8). "Behold, how these Christians love one another!" was the amazed but constant testimony of paganism, yea, of Judaism, also, regarding believers in the early days of the Church. And this Spirit-wrought unity and tender affection is by far the greatest need amongst believers today. New "movements," new "educational programs," great contributions of funds - what are these worth while Christians are divided in mind, more in discord than accord? Such a state cannot "glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. "By this," our Lord said, "shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another" (John 13:35).

And this accord, this unity, is not brought about by outward organization. There is, incited by the devil, a great cry that all professing Christians today "get together", form themselves into a great "charitable" unity, inclusive of Romanists, Protestants, and well-intended Jews. Meanwhile, in answer to the earnest, persistent cry of God's people that He would revive His Church, the real saints are being drawn more and more by His Word into the true fellowship of the Holy Spirit. Bible conferences, unsectarian Bible schools, gatherings and even leagues for prayer, and increasing intelligent fellowship with truly godly missionary effort, are the real sign that God is granting Paul's desire that believers may with one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

People generally make one of two mistakes concerning Christian unity. First, that there must be absolute unanimity of opinion on all points of doctrine; and second, that there must be external unity of all so-called "Christian bodies."

We have alluded to the second of these ideas as of Satanic origin, and deluded human consent. But now, as to the first, the desire of the apostle in verse 5, that the God of patience and of comfort grant you to be of the same mind one with another according to Christ Jesus, does not have reference to opinions or views of doctrines, but does have reference to gracious dispositions of spirit; for God is not spoken of here as the God of wisdom and knowledge, but as the God of patience and of comfort. It is God's acting in these blessed graces toward the saints that will enable them to be "of one mind together according to Christ Jesus."

When the Spirit of God is freely operating among a company of believers, the eyes of all of them, first, are toward Christ Jesus. They are thinking of Him, of His love, of His service, and of what will please Him. They are conscious of their blessed place in Him. Then follow, naturally, patient dealing with one another, comforting one another. Some of the company may know much more truth than others; many may hold varying judgments or opinions concerning particular matters. But this does not at all touch their unity - their conscious unity, in Christ; and it does not in the slightest degree hinder their being of one mind, and working together with one accord, and, in the vivid words of Scripture, be with one mind together according to Christ Jesus.

Rome has undertaken to compel unity in both these evil senses (for she knows not the blessed unity of the Spirit): and rivers of martyrs' blood have flowed because they dared to express an opinion contrary to the edicts of "the Church." The doctrine, too, is constantly promulgated, that to be outside "Mother Church," outside the fold of Rome, is to be without the pale of salvation!

Both these things are fearful perversions of the truth."

In verse 7, Watchman Nee comments on the word "Christ" (as Christ received you) and states, "Verse 3 of ch. 14 says that we should receive people according to God's receiving, but here we are told that we should receive people according to Christ's receiving. Christ's receiving is God's receiving. What Christ has received, God has received. Those whom God and Christ have received we must receive, regardless of how they differ from us in doctrine or practice. This will be to the glory of God."

The rvbv writes in regard to verse 7: "Strong and weak believers alike are here exhorted to receive one another, - for God's glory. This not only includes formal welcoming of other believers into the fellowship of the church, the Assembly of the Saints; but, what is far more and deeper, exercising constant careful love to one another; - and all this done with a view to the glory of God! For Christ received us to that end! As He says, "All that which the Father giveth Me shall come unto Me; and him that cometh unto Me I will in no wise cast out. For I am come down from Heaven, not to do Mine own will, but the will of Him that sent me" (John 6:37,38). It is Christ's delight to welcome sinners for that glorifies God; and there is joy in Heaven over it! Let there be like joy over our Christian love, - our "receiving" one another; for it glorifies God!"

Heavenly Father,

Thank You for today's study...I love being in Your Word. Soften all our hearts, open our eyes when we are being self righteous which is nothing more than defaulting and taking a stance on our own wills, and give us Your eyes, Your understanding...let us see each other as You see us because Father, when You've done that to me in that past, it grips my heart. It gives me a fleeting glimpse into Your merciful heart.

And Father, I'm heading up to Michigan to bring back home a new responsiblity You've blessed in my life. I'm a little nervous, I'm a little concerned so I need You even more. There is so much I need to do to prepare...so much work that is way over my head, so Father You're going to have to do it by strengthening me and bringing those that You have chosen to help.

Most important though, is that You've burdened my heart to talk with my friend about You. You know where she stands with You...I don't necessarily, and I don't need (nor want) to. But I feel a burden to talk with her about the deeper things that concern You so I ask now Father that You would pour out Your Spirit in abundance over my heart, my mind, my speech...and that any and all words I say to her would have Your annointing on them, Your will, Your destiny, Your purpose, Your love, for my friend.

Camp Your warring guardian angels around my truck on the trip up and on the way back home. This is a call, or Your will for my life so You are going to have to guide, lead, direct, help, on and on and on.

That's why I have Your peace Father...that's why I'm content to rest in the eye of this storm that circles my life. You know what my opinion is...I'm quite happy to kind of wind down and settle in after the flurry of the past 6 months. But I see that Your opinion differs lol...You've wound things back up even tighter than before so I'm pitching all that You are bringing into my life, back to the foot of Your throne...trusting You instead of me...learning how to rest instead of winding up till I pop...and loving You more than I did yesterday because You are so much bigger than my mind can even comprehend.

In Jesus Name I pray,

Lord God go with Darlene as she prepares and is on the highways. Prepare those at the destination to hear from You as You direct Darlene to speak. Let the unity of the Body of Christ support Darlene on this assignment. MtRider :pray:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.