MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Greetings from East Anglia, England

Boudicca

Welcome Boudicca! Glad to see you here on Mrs. S, and hope you will bring your perspective to our forum. Folks here are happy to help answer questions, and are a great resource of information. Looking forward to reading your input.

Boudicca-

I noticed that you suggested chickens to Sunflower but you don't seem to have them yourself. I know that you mentioned having a small yard. If not chickensare not feasible at this time, have you considered raising quail? They don't take up much space at all and won't tear up a garden like chickens would. They also start producing eggs at 6 weeks of age and can also be eaten as meat at 6-7 weeks of age.

Welcome Boudicca! Very glad you've found us. This is a wonderful site, filled with very caring people.

For me, "9-11" was the event that destroyed our "age of innocence". Such a different world we are living in compared to the one I had as a child.

But, with all the gloom and doom, I have hope. Just welcomed our 6th grandchild into our family, and our last two children are getting married in Feb. and May.

Looking forward to your posts.

Hello MomM,

Im glad I found you too!

Yes, "9 -11" ... what can I say :(

Congratulations on your new grandchild and the impending marriages of your last two children! :woohoo:

Thank you for your very nice welcome,

Boudicca :grinning-smiley-044:

Welcome, Boudicca!

Are you knapping your arrowheads from stone, old glass bottles, or what?

Don't forget to do leaning pull-ups to build up your bowstring-pulling muscles. Set a bar or a sturdy one-inch pipe (or the metric equivalent) across the seats of two chairs, lie on your back on the floor between the chairs, reach up, and pull your chest up to the bar.

Keeping latex exercise bands on you is a good idea because you can exercise while standing in line. While I was doing this at the post office today, two other ladies looked at me and pulled out exercise bands while another woman produced a pair of pink hand weights. We joked that all we needed was good music, so some guy with a phone-iPad-thing played some kind of electronic song I didn't recognize--but it sure had a beat.

Hi Ambergris!

I will be making them out of the tips of old knives and also tin can lids. I will post a link to You Tube when I post my BIG prepping list in a new thread at the weekend! Thank you for the the excerise ideas, I can build that into my routine quite easily! The picture you paint of you and your fellow shoppers at the supermarket made me laugh out loud! I'm definitely going to get latex bands and try it out in my local shop and hope to be joined by other keep fit nuts! :bounce:

The bow I have is a recurve with a draw weight of 25lbs which I find I can manage no problem which makes me think I should, once I become more proficient, step up to somthing with a bit more clout! When I first got it, I couldnt wait to use it and sported some ENOURMOUS bruises the colour of plumbs on my arm for a week or more! I have since made an arm guard from old leather belts cut to size which I put eyelets in and srtrung the lengths together with bootlaces! I backed it with some neoprene rubber from an old netbook case ... The real Boudicca would have been most proud! I also have a high velocity sling shot which I'm also practicing with (steel ball bearings) but haven't told the neighbours about this as I use it in a private part of my garden. I would like to, when I'm more proficient, move on to lead ball bearings as they really pack a wallop but are a trifle expensive for a novice right now!

Compund bows look interesting but while I was researching the subject I came across a video of a poor guy who had an accident with one and his arm was in a real mess ... This quite put me off. I should really join an archery club but I am so busy with my work it's very difficult to attend these sorts of things as they tend to be held during the week.

Thank you for your welcome but especially thanks for making me laugh :24:

ttfn,

Boudicca:grinning-smiley-044:

Boudicca-

I noticed that you suggested chickens to Sunflower but you don't seem to have them yourself. I know that you mentioned having a small yard. If not chickensare not feasible at this time, have you considered raising quail? They don't take up much space at all and won't tear up a garden like chickens would. They also start producing eggs at 6 weeks of age and can also be eaten as meat at 6-7 weeks of age.

Hi Martian!

Thank you for this suggestion ... I'm liking what I hear! I think it is very sensible to have some live stock. Are they difficult to look after? I dont know anything about birds but do know that chickens need to be dusted with powders and all sorts to keep them parasite free not that this would be a problem. (My cats are both sitting here licking their lips!!!) I will add Quail to my research list. Thank you! :grinning-smiley-044:

Welcome Boudicca! Glad you found us. Not a week goes by that I don't glean useful info from the Mrs S members. You'll love it here.

Hi Leanna 1017!

This site is a goldmine! Im hooked! I DO love it here!

Thank you for the welcome Leanna!

ttfn

Welcome Boudicca! Glad to see you here on Mrs. S, and hope you will bring your perspective to our forum. Folks here are happy to help answer questions, and are a great resource of information. Looking forward to reading your input.

Hello Vic303!

Thank you for your welcome! Mother asked me if I have a prepping list and I certainly do have a list in progress which I shall be posting at the weekend as I am having a little difficulty in prioritising as there is sooooo much to do! I hope that when I do everyone will chip in with their two penneth worth! ... I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!

Thank you again,

Boudicca :happy0203:

Wow, Boudicca, I LOVE your enthusiasm! Welcome to Mrs S! Would you mind bottling up some of your energy and shipping it my way?!

Sunflower - Welcome also!

Ambergris - LOL with the exercise bands! Loved this story!

Wow, Boudicca, I LOVE your enthusiasm! Welcome to Mrs S! Would you mind bottling up some of your energy and shipping it my way?!

Sunflower - Welcome also!

Ambergris - LOL with the exercise bands! Loved this story!

Hi Andrea!

Thank you for your welcome! I LOVE all the info on this site! It's absolutely just what I need! I wish I knew other preppers so I could spread the word! The only other prepper I know is my bother and I told him to come and and have a look!

Nice to meet you Andrea!

ttfn,

Hi Andrea!

Thank you for your welcome! I LOVE all the info on this site! It's absolutely just what I need! I wish I knew other preppers so I could spread the word! The only other prepper I know is my bother and I told him to come and and have a look!

Nice to meet you Andrea!

ttfn,

ROFL - is that a typo or a Freudian slip? In any case, we have something in common, by brother can be a "bother" sometimes too! Welcome!

Hi Andrea!

Nice to meet you Andrea!

ttfn,

ROFL - is that a typo or a Freudian slip? In any case, we have something in common, by brother can be a "bother" sometimes too! Welcome!

Yes hes a big bother quite often! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Boudicca-

Hi Martian!

Thank you for this suggestion ... I'm liking what I hear! I think it is very sensible to have some live stock. Are they difficult to look after? I dont know anything about birds but do know that chickens need to be dusted with powders and all sorts to keep them parasite free not that this would be a problem. (My cats are both sitting here licking their lips!!!) I will add Quail to my research list. Thank you! :grinning-smiley-044:

Here is a link to an article that I wrote awhile back about quail:

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/5/5-2/smooth_quailing.html

and this is a link to my blog for Grit Magazine:

http://www.grit.com/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=4294967697

If you scroll down on the blog page, you'll find the post about quail. I hope this helps in your research!

Boudicca-

Hi Martian!

http://www.backyardp...h_quailing.html

http://www.grit.com/...ogid=4294967697

If you scroll down on the blog page, you'll find the post about quail. I hope this helps in your research!

Boudicca-

Hi Martian!

Hi Martian,

Thank you for the links! I've just been to your blog and it's tremendous! I think quail would suit me rather well especially as they as they are less 'vocal' than chickens and do not require large amounts of space! I am going to do some local research and may well get some in the summer! They look really cute! I'm presuming there are different varieties? Which do you recommend? I dont think I ever tried quail or quail eggs so I shall have to keep my eyes peeled now so that I can sample some. Thanks very much for the info ... I will be returning to your blog in the future:D

Boudicca:thumbs:

Boudicca, I'm closer to you in distance than them. Give us some energy lass.

You're practically bouncing :grinning-smiley-044:

About quail, the males have a rather distinct and LOUD voice. Stick to the girls if you want to be friends with your neighbours :)

Boudicca, I'm closer to you in distance than them. Give us some energy lass.

You're practically bouncing :grinning-smiley-044:

About quail, the males have a rather distinct and LOUD voice. Stick to the girls if you want to be friends with your neighbours :)

Whaddya mean? ... I AM BOUNCING! Here's a shot of energy Just for you because you are closest! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I was just doing some research on quail! I'm looking at where they are sold locally so I can glean more info! I hear what you're saying about loud boys! I get on very well with my neighbours but doubt they would like being woken at the crack of dawn no matter how many eggs I give 'em! I'm not doing anything rash! I know I may sound like a demented loon with all my intended projects however ... I also like doing my research!

They really are dear little birds! Hugo and Izzi, (fat, fluffy cats), can't wait and would like all caution thrown to the wind and want them NOW! ...NO!

How's life in the 'Netherlands and sometimes Germany' these days? Are people prepping over there?

ttfn neighbour!

Boudicca :bounce:

Lol, people are prepping sometimes. In the Netherlands, a fair few I know of.

In the part of Germany I frequent, it's a way of life really. Things some people here already do, I need to learn and where I go to in Germany, they live that life as well.

10 years of reading didn't weigh up to my first year of living totally off grid and learning how to fend for myself. And not in a house I might add.

Some of the more experienced women (and men) here will be able to teach us a thing or two. Just stick around and it'll rub off :grinning-smiley-044:

Lol, people are prepping sometimes. In the Netherlands, a fair few I know of.

In the part of Germany I frequent, it's a way of life really. Things some people here already do, I need to learn and where I go to in Germany, they live that life as well.

10 years of reading didn't weigh up to my first year of living totally off grid and learning how to fend for myself. And not in a house I might add.

Some of the more experienced women (and men) here will be able to teach us a thing or two. Just stick around and it'll rub off :grinning-smiley-044:

Wow! Sounds intersting Christy! Living totally off grid is excellent! Wooohoo! Now I'm curious as to your living arrangements! I've always thought those Yurts look very interesting! I discovered those while I was researching log burning stoves made out of old calor gas bottles!

What I really should be doing now is my tax return YAWN! I'll feel better once Ive got that out of the way and then I can get going with my 'stuff'! It gives me such a nice fuzzy warm glow inside to think that my tax is helping to provide all mod cons cigarettes and McDonalds etc for the idle and bewildered of this land! Ha! Ha! Awww :gaah:

ttfn

Boudicca :bounce:

Boudicca-

Hi Martian!

Hi Martian,

Thank you for the links! I've just been to your blog and it's tremendous! I think quail would suit me rather well especially as they as they are less 'vocal' than chickens and do not require large amounts of space! I am going to do some local research and may well get some in the summer! They look really cute! I'm presuming there are different varieties? Which do you recommend? I dont think I ever tried quail or quail eggs so I shall have to keep my eyes peeled now so that I can sample some. Thanks very much for the info ... I will be returning to your blog in the future:D

My birds are coturnix quail. The white ones are the Texas A & M's and there are many types of brown ones. Thy all seem to do pretty well and I really don't see much difference between them. They are quite cold hardy, too. My neighbors don't seem to have much issue with the males, though your neighbors might be a bit closer in proximity than mine are. In fact, the crows and seagulls are usually much louder. I always have one male in each cage compartment. The eggs are about the same as chicken eggs, but they have a finer texture. (it's hard to explain but when you scramble them in a bowl, they just blend better.)

Boudicca-

Hi Martian!

Hi Martian,

My birds are coturnix quail. The white ones are the Texas A & M's and there are many types of brown ones. Thy all seem to do pretty well and I really don't see much difference between them. They are quite cold hardy, too. My neighbors don't seem to have much issue with the males, though your neighbors might be a bit closer in proximity than mine are. In fact, the crows and seagulls are usually much louder. I always have one male in each cage compartment. The eggs are about the same as chicken eggs, but they have a finer texture. (it's hard to explain but when you scramble them in a bowl, they just blend better.)

Hi Martian,

There are some local breeders quite close to me with coturnix. I think here in the UK our houses are built closer together than over your way. From what I've read, apart from the obvious benefits of being able to breed having male birds, they seem to suggest that the presence of male birds makes the females more settled and less prone to bullying.

I like the idea that they don't decimate the lawn and are very easy to look after. It really is a good idea to have some and I wouldnt have thought about quail if you hadn't suggested it so thank you once again. This is something that I will pursue!

ttfn,

Boudicca

Archived