MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

New here!

jlcarey1

Hi, I'm Jessie!

I just recently "woke up" to all of the crazy goings-on in our country. It all started for me with learning about the effort to censor our internet....and it's snowballed for me quickly from there. I can't believe all of the new things that I am learning about what might be in store for our future. So I am very set on preparing my family. I don't know how much truth there is to some of the things I am reading and hearing, but I want to be prepared just in case!

So far, I have 1 case of water stored...lol. But my grocery trip today will begin my food storage. I want to learn how to can. My MIL is a canner, so I'm going to ask her to teach me how to do it. I'm starting a vegetable garden this year so hopefully I will have some stuff that is home-grown to can. I LOVE this forum, there is SO MUCH information here! Can't wait to learn from everyone!

What a nice first post! welcomeflowrs.gif

We have wonderful treasures in our posts. Many times our friends have found that maybe the "hurricane" didn't come, but somebody got sick or lost a job, and those preps carried them through.

When you approach the idea of "being prepared" from a logical and reasonable angle, it just makes sense. You don't have to panic if a storm hits... you have thought this through already.

Whatever you want to find, ask us. You can send me a PM (private message) anytime. Just click on the little icon under my name at the left (PM this member). But *THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS*... if you wonder, someone else does, too. So ask, and we all learn.

Glad you're here. :wub:

Hi Jessie, welcome here. Make yourself at home, grab a comfy seat and don't be daunted by the info coming at you. Small steps like we all did and you'll get there.

Great to hear your MIL is a canner and that you'll start a garden.

Thumbs up.

:welcome4: Jessie~

Bring your favorite cup of coffee, tea, whatever, once you start reading and searching it can be tough to stop. And you learn new things all the time (Cat just enlightened me on the icon to pm, I always go to the person's page. LOL!)

:wave: Welcome to a whole new way of considering what is important, Jesse. Suddenly, things we would have spent money on, in the past, don't seem as vital anymore. Some things we would have thrown out, can be "re-purposed" for new uses. [old T-shirts..washed and cut into bandages/arm sling is an OLDE idea turned new again]

To grasp how to start, it might help you to make a list like:

water,

food,

shelter [anything keeping you warm enough/cool enough/dry enough - includes clothing],

communications,

lighting,

First Aid/medical (regular meds?),

SANITATION - we're gonna want the TP! ;) ,

sanity (Books, cards, journal, Bible, hobby, children's toys),

business (all papers proving who you are, educational certs, and what you own, plus lawyer/insurance agent #'s, etc) animal care,

special items(elderly, disabled, babies, children),

tools

Not overwhelming to make sure initially that you can get thru a couple weeks with these areas covered. Then increase that to a month or three...... You get the picture. If you're already seeing the value of the garden and putting up the produce with canning, you are on your way.

MtRider :thumbs:

Hi Jessie :wave: and WELCOME!

There is so much to learn here. If you get 'stumped' on something, just ask away. I don't know how much I read/hear in the news is real either so I prep mostly with financial disaster in mind. I can always eat it in good times or in bad. Although I do prep in all other areas too.

Glad you joined in!

Welcome Jessie. It sounds like you are off on a good start already, because it does take thinking about.

Getting overwhelmed about possible stuff....... tonight even I see things happening and momentum picking up so very fast on an external situation overseas, and I have to tamp down on the old monster, fear...... and I do. now. It has taken some practice I can tell you and I have such a long way to go...... and I dont own a home. I rent a small apartment in the middle of a wilderness basically. lol. very small town.

I am working on crafting skills lately...... have some health stuff thats very challenging but now that I got to the bottom of part of it, my head is really beginning to clear and I am not as on edge any more, most of the time. This is helping and I feel like I am starting to get going again in the right direction for myself on several aspects and although its slow, its progressing and thats a comfort.

It has already helped me weather some things in the last year and I am trying to do something now each day, each week and month although I know I am behind..... but the more I learn, the more info I get, the next skill or step in skills like knitting my own socks and stuff, as it comes to me, I feel a bit better.

It has been awesome being a part of MRS S now for some time, so many are so supportive and we stop in and use the shout box and check the posts and there are some ladies here who are expert and proper canners. I have been able to do some and wish I could do more. But even the little I have done was reassuring and useful to me. Very handy to can up meat, and it tenderizes cheap cuts wonderfully by the way and the flavor is really good. Some of these ladies and men will can into the wee hours when they get going and they have great canning recipes they know and share and all kinds of things that make our preps better.

Vaccuum sealing , bread making , herbs and their uses, medical care info like for flu epidemics, whats good for an extensive first aid kit, lots of info.....

what to do in case of various scenarios....... we write them up so folks can think it through from where they are to see what they may need to prep for.

But alot of us are just concerned about the economics, and healthiest way of eating and caring for our loved ones and ourselves.

Also so many various natural disasters ( politics and conspiracy stuff aside)..... theres been so much going on the past few years and it just seems we can't get away from it. It pays to do a think tank on what local situations can be depending on where you are.

Do you know what a BOB is? Bug Out Bag or Bin for the car or yourself, each member of family.

Pet supplies and livestock supplies , there is alot ..... Get Home Bag for anyone at school, work in time of disorder or emergency...... plan to get home..... depending on conditions ..... how do they do that?

Medical stuff. Vital needs, medications taken daily, supplements and hygiene needs.....

Lists help alot. Notebooks.......

There are all kinds of instructions on many things related to all manner of emergency and off grid usage in case the power goes out and you ran out of gas or the vehicles do not work any longer.

and yet its also important we just blend in where we are, this is for our household's security and safety of our family and you can't feed every one...... lots of thought goes into who is safe or truly needs it and will be compatible, because people are different in how they behave than they were when our grandparents and great grandparents were young. Heck ,since I was a child.

You may have to get strategic in how you do things, lol. Lots of posts on how to store and hide things in plain sight.....lol.

There is soooooooooo much here , 13-14 yrs worth and more of experience and help. Ask any questions, someone will help.

Thank you, everyone, for such a warm welcome! I thought I posted a reply yesterday but I guess it didn't actually post, lol. I have already been lurking for quite a while, and learning a TON! Already, I'm going to share with my MIL that she is not safely canning her vegetables, because she doesn't have a pressure canner, only does water bath canning for everything. That should go over well...

Anyway, I was SUPER proud of myself last night! I had printed out Nana's (I think that was the name!) $20/week shopping list, and I bought everything for the first week (except the shortening...I don't ever use shortening so I wasn't real sure what I might need it for. I will probably pick some up next shopping trip anyway, I'm sure it has it's uses! So I now have 3 cases of water, plus some rice, beans, spaghetti, tuna and pasta sauce in my food supply. BTW, with price inflation,and if I had bought the shortening,it would have been right around $40! Tonight I want to start working on making a list for medical supplies, clothing, blankets, entertainment, etc. Thanks to MT_Rider for suggesting the business stuff (papers, insurance, etc), sanitation (TOILET PAPER! I hadn't even THOUGHT of that!) and entertainment stuff (keep those kids busy!)

Also, I didn't tell you much about myself. I am 30 years old, a mother of 2 kids - Emma, 9, and Connor, 3. I am married to Joe since 2009 (but we've been together since 2002). I work full time, I'm a Girl Scout Troop Leader and Cookie Mom (since I have no co-leader), a volleyball mom, a facilitator for our Faith Enrichment program at my church, a member of the Christ Renews His Parish team at my church, and a soon to be soccer mom to my son! Also, like any other mom, I'm a taxi driver, maid, chef, counselor, playmate, etc. So I'm a busy Momma! I'm going to try to find time this spring and summer to do my garden and my yard and stuff, and to learn some new stuff (like Canning!) Anyway, gotta get back to work (oops!). Thanks again for all the welcomes! I will definitely be sticking around!:eclipsee_Victoria:

Nana's lists were what bought me out of lurkdom. They helped me so much.

My MIL always used the waterbath method in canning veggies too. Good luck with that conversation. :beat_deadhorse:

Water is vital but be careful; the bottles used for those single size serving type bottles are made to break down in the landfills. They will, over time, leak. They are good to have but just remember to rotate them.

Before talking it over with MIL, I would gather some material and see what your local county extension agent has in the way of current info. We "older" canners are sometimes more receptive to their info because of a background in 4H and a history of correct info and help. Be ready to "discuss what you've been reading". ;)

Link to find your closest office: http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Yeah, touchy subject to anybody who "hasn't killed anybody yet"!!! LOL

:bighug2:

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, Jessie! I look forward to reading your posts. Your children are a good age to be receptive to learning some of this stuff, too! Since you already have your hubby on board, you are light years ahead of where some of us started. Good luck with your journey and let us know if we can be at all helpful to you. There is no such thing as a dumb question and there are plenty of lurkers here that might have the same questions that you have.

Archived