MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

New Member Saying Hello!

FarmLife

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to be here and look forward to learning and sharing information and knowledge during these uncertain times. A bit about me.... I grew up on a farm in the deep South and we raised cattle, hogs, and chicken for our table. There were also large gardens, fruit trees, berries, and beehives that also fed our bellies. So, I had some upbringing and knowledge into FarmLife. But, I did not stay on the farm - folks sold it and we moved to town. I spent quite a few years traipsing around living the 'good life' but really knew that I wanted to be back in the country.

Many years later, my DH and I are now retired. We bought some acreage (an old homestead) in the next county over from where I grew up. My folks have moved onto the property next door (we bought that as soon as it hit the market) and my 93 year old grandma has recently moved in with them as well. My oldest brother is in and out here at what we've started calling the 'family compound'. All-in-all, it's 20 acres. The old homestead had decent infrastructure in place when we got it. A mostly functional barn/garage, a one bedroom farmhouse in need of lots of work - but livable, fenced pastures, chicken pens, rabbit hutches, mature fruit and nut trees. Little by little, we're making improvements to the place. Have built a new pole barn, are finishing up a one-room guest cabin, and have plans drawn up for a 24x24 canning kitchen separate from the house. Can't wait for that!

We have 1 cat, 2 guineas, 3 beehives, 12 full size hens, 1 full size rooster, 6 banty hens, and 4 banty roosters. Soon 2 banty roosters will be going to 'canning camp'! DH is getting an area in the barn prepped for raising meat rabbits. Plans for next spring will include a couple of feeder pigs to put in the freezers come fall. Need to get fencing and shelter built this fall/winter. Further plans include cattle, just enough for our own use.

We have several garden areas and are trying to learn all we can while we still can. Mom has lots of gardening knowledge, but can no longer do the physical work. So, she advises and we sweat! :) I love being in the kitchen. I can most of our garden harvest, grind wheat for our fresh breads, make our own sausages from pork from local butchers, am learning more and more about dehydrating, and am in the very early stages of learning to make cheese.

We are fortunate to have met several like-minded individuals and families in our area who share our concerns of what direction this country is heading, what freedoms we have being taken away, concerns about our food safety/supply, and healthier eating/living. I've poked around here quite a bit and think that I share many of the same views as folks here. I look forward to getting to know all of you and learning new things. After all, what fun is it to not learn something new everyday?!?

FarmLife in the Deep South

Welcome FarmLife! Greetings from the great Mississippi Gulf Coast. I look forward to reading more of your posts. I know you will love it here. :bouquet:

I may be in the north country but I love country living and have been in the south plenty in my younger days. Glad to see you joined us and Im sure there is stuff you can teach many of us here as well as learn from many here as well. Its a great site full of awesome folks here.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I do look forward to stopping in often and seeing what all is happening and what all I can learn! :)

Jeepers - retired and nothing to do?!?! Bwwwhhhhhaaaa How in the world did DH and I ever have time to work 40 hours? We love our life now!

Archived