MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Introduction about me...then no more about me...Promise

Pamela1

Hello; I'm Pam. You could probably find me on political sites and health care sites as subership. I'm a registered nurse x 32 years in ICU, ER, and Public Health. Then I got a little too weak to keep working 12 hour shifts. I learned to can and sew as a kid, but the only area of expertise I have is bandages and emergencies. To keep busy, while I figure out where I'm going to go next, I've been canning. When I was a kid, a Jamaican who lived with us, was aghast at the "weeds" we didn't eat, and the wasting of the chicken bones. Hence, my question about eating canned chicken bones. (I guess I'll grind up the next jar I open and find out!) Now, tonight, I'm wondering about canning sweet potatoes and yams in orange juice and bananas instead of syrup. (Not in the Ball Book).....I'm looking for alternatives to sugar besides the pesky chemical ones on the market. I managed to blow up a jar in the pressure canner today. That was a first. Maybe too full?canning.gif Heck if I know. I'm single, the kids are grown, and my significant other died last August. I guess I can't poison anyone. But, I've still got things to do. Just have to figure out where. soapbox.gif I'm looking for any suggestions in that area, too. Anyone know where you can get a good sedentary nursing job after years on your feet? Here they want you to be experienced at it first. tapfoot.gif

Welcome. Violet is our resident canning expert (does it professionally). Many of us do can and enjoy sharing with each other our successes and failures. Maybe your jar that exploded had a weak spot in it. The few I have lost just had the bottom break out, probably from being banged against something.

Could you do some private duty nursing, or home health stuff that might not require so much standing?

Welcome!

Sorry to hear about your jar. I had a friend post on his facebook y-day that he had one bust as well. Do you know what brand yours was? I'm going to ask him as well. I think there were some posts on some of the brands having more problems than others. I'll have to look for it when dd gets done with her school work on the computer.

Good luck on the job search. Wish I could offer some suggestion, but I don't know much about the medical jobs in this area.

Welcome, Pamela!

When I could no longer work on my feet at the hospital I signed on with a nursing agency and did private duty. I did that till I couldnt work at all. It made the transition easier and paid well.

I don't know about bananas, but I can sweet potatoes with salt and a minimum of sugar. You can add anything you want to sweeten them before eating.

I see no problem canning the cubes of sweet potatoes or yam in chunks in orange juice , but never puree those things. Idk how you plan on canning them. Then, NO bananas other than if it is a safety tested jam recipe. Not plain bananas. If you don't find it in the Ball Blue book ( current copy) or any of the USDA publications or websites, then most likely it is not safe to can.

Did the bottom fall out of the jar ? If so, that is due to the water in the canner and the jar being too different in temps, usually . Called "thermal shock". This can also be caused by other things, too. It depends upon the kind of break as to what caused it.

http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p0993.pdf

*WELCOME* Pamela1!

Glad you jumped in, and since Violet has already answered the questions, I'll just say we're glad you're here! And you can talk all you want about yourself. :happy0203: Just be careful not to make yourself easily identifiable, for your own safety. Generals, not specifics. ;)

We like to keep our friends safe. :bighug2:

It is so nice to have you here, Pamela!

I have a cousin that is also an RN. She now works for an insurance company and does it from home. I believe that she told me that she spends her time looking over medical files. She has a couple of health issues and this works out very well for her.