MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Plenty of squash and zucchini

I am totally gonna show my newbie roots, but I am so excited by how much yellow squash and zucchini I have harvested so far. In the past I ended giving most of the stuff away to my family, friends, neighbors and co-workers (I know, I know). Well this year I am canning and freezing--and I LOVE it! Yesterday's harvest netted me 6 lbs of squash to freeze. By Monday I will have enough to do a second batch of squash pickles. As far as the zucchini goes, I have had enough to make 4 loaves of Zucchini bread and freeze. Of course I have cooked and grilled these as well.

I can only hope the rest of my garden turns out to be as prolific!

I was hoping to use the stuff I froze for casseroles or add it in last minute for a quick sautee. Not sure if it will hold up or not. We have been doing foil packets on the grill almost everyday of our garden veggies and potatoes. I miss having it in the winter but that is why I froze it so I can have a little taste of summer in my winter menus.

It will get soft, but my dd puts it in the oven and adds other things in the winter. They think it is good.

If you want it not mushy, you can dehydrate it, then add to stews and things after reconstituting it a bit, or if it will cook long enough, just toss it in.

Even slices seasoned with some seasoned salt are good for just snacking after dried.