MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

THOUGHTS FOR TODAY

I take insulin and if it is a pen you normally just keep the UNOPENED pens in the fridge. The one you are using you do not have to keep in the fridge. Perhaps he better check again. You just take the pen and a couple needles with you. I have a little case they gave me with my insulin pen. No refrigeration needed. If it is a short acting kind, you have to get the shot within 10 min. before eating. Long acting, you just do as you said and get the shot at the same time each day, like as soon as you get up or right before bed.

I can tell you I recently started acupuncture for my diabetic pain, back pain, etc. I have about half the pain left in my feet ! It is working !!! Amazing. Some relief in my middle back, still lots of pain in my lower back.

I take neurontin for the back pain. Can't survive without it. It is gabapentin, generic name. Works for the diabetic pain in feet, too. One pill for both.

Philbe, I'm sorry you're having troubles with your son. :hug3:

Thanks for posting the link to the Wyoming legistlation. A similiar bill is going to be intoduced in the Pennsylvania House. http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/Legis/CSM/showMemoPublic.cfm?chamber=H&SPick=20130&cosponId=10858

I have a whole chicken thawed in the fridge. I'm going to put that in the oven for supper today. Then, I'll turn the carcass and bones into stock and make soup. We really get our money's worth out of those birds!

From Philbe...I seen on FOX this morning that there are several other states that are now taking a stand in some way or another, and my home state is one of them! Yeah!!!! As for your chicken, it sure sounds like both will be terrific. I seldom buy whole chicken(s) because we just prefer the skinless chicken breast. I buy the BIG ones when they're on sale, and one makes a meal for the two of us. If I do boil it down for pulled chicken etc., then I also save the broth in a vacume sealed jar and put it in the frig.

sorry your having a rough time with your son if hes worried about not haveing his pen with him he can find one of those baby bottle holders made like a lunchbox with a small ice pack that has just been kept in the ice box I see them all the time at second hand stores or garage sells, my mil is going thru similar tough love thing bc one of her sons was living rent free in her husbands rental house but now its in probate and going to be sold i said sorry but my opiinion is if you can buy alcohol and other things you dont need time to grow up and pay rent somewhere esle

From Philbe....I've already passed on info that he can put his "stash" in a cooler, thanks! I am glad he doesn't drink or smoke. That would be intolerable for me...and letting him move into our upper apartment probably would not have happened. We did let him keep his two dogs though and that's quite a "give" on our part since most landlords won't even let you have one! He knows he's got it good, but like most kids, are more than willing to push the envelope if you let them!

THURSDAY...cranked the WonderWash a few times and washed 4 T-shirts, 6 pairs of socks, and some underthings, using only 5 gallons of water (2 for wash and 3 for rinse). They're hanging on my drying rack (in the tub) in the bathroom with the door shut so the vent keeps the room nice and warm. Mountain Man's going to get my umbrella clothesline put up in the back yard. I'll save more electricity using the sun to dry my clothes that I will on water though. Going to have to get me a wringer to put over a bucket though, the hands just don't like wringing clothes out any more. I've seen where some people use a piece of plywood, with a towel laid out on it, and then use a rolling pin to squeeze out excess water. To time consuming for me, I'd rather have the wringer even though they are expensive. Wish I would have put my solar oven out in the back yard this morning though, it would be a nice day to be solar. I still want Mtn.Man to build me a "rack" type table (2x4's) to set it on so it's up off the ground and not easily tipped over. It's the typical "honey do" list...that I wait on because clients come first. I know each of you have heard "the plumber's wife can't get her sink draining" or "the builder's wife can't get her door fixed" and "the mechanic's wife has a car that won't run"... scenario!?

PS to THURSDAY...Made my first batch of meatless sausage patties...with oatmeal of all things! Watched Perbain on the tube along with a couple other gals...and it absolutely works! When MM came in from work, I popped a piece in his mouth and said "what's that"...response was "sausage?" and then he looked at them on the plate and said "they even look like sausage"...AFTER I told him what they were. Talk about a money saver in a meat shortage situation, at least you'd "think" you were eating sausage. I can even imagine using seasonings to make it taste like hamburger. How about crumbling it up and using it like the gals said...as toppings on pizza, or in gravy, or ??? I'm almost beside myself trying to figure out how I can dehydrate it or ??? since it has no real meat in it, and the eggs can be powdered. I loved sprinkling mine with a bit of Tobasco but MM will pass and maybe use ketchup for some added comfort...LOL

SATURDAY SUNDAY...Sunny & warm but the 20+ mile winds take the warmth right out of it. Were going to meet our friends for a picnic at the state park but since he was so ill with the sinus infection we've decided it would not be a good thing for him to be outside trying to grill etc. (He loves to grill) so we'll just have lunch at their home. She's so anxious to ride her Christmas gift...a collapsable bike! After we eat we'll probably meet at the park, we'll walk w/Abby while friend rides and her SO can relax in their car. She fell in love with our collapsable bikes (rode mine) so he got her one for Christmas. We also have our recumbants, but my balance just isn't like it should be with my feet so far out in front of me, so we're going to have a man turn the back tire into two tires (a trike setup) and then watch out...here we come! We have the regular type bicycle tricycles with baskets on back but we need to do work on them, plus their alot harder to peddle that a recumbant is, and our collapsables are different speeds so their pretty easy to peddle etc. Wonder if Arby's every thought of finding a tricycle with a basket?

Edited by Philbe

Psst...Philbe, it's Saturday.

Hockey is back on, so DH is happy. Go Penguins.

We got up extra early again today to get our grocery shopping done. Shopping/pricing around for the other things we'll need to get the security cameras up outside. We were planning on doing that tomorrow. DH wasn't feeling well last night. He's been looking/feeling worse as the day has gone on, so I don't know if we'll be able to get the cameras up tomorrow or not. The past few weeks have been very stressful (and expensive), but if the cameras stop the neighbors bad behavior, it'll be worth it.

We're supposed to have a very cold week.

We got up extra early again today to get our grocery shopping done. Shopping/pricing around for the other things we'll need to get the security cameras up outside. We were planning on doing that tomorrow. DH wasn't feeling well last night. He's been looking/feeling worse as the day has gone on, so I don't know if we'll be able to get the cameras up tomorrow or not. The past few weeks have been very stressful (and expensive), but if the cameras stop the neighbors bad behavior, it'll be worth it.

Comment: Ooopss...guess that's what happens when you start your morning off with a leisure wake up, a leisure breakfast, and ??? Also happens quite frequently when you're retired! LOL

OK...it's still Saturday...LOL Anyway, one of our goals for today (before we left for lunch with our friends) was to drive to a surplus store sell out. We found a nice big inverter for $30; T-shirts to work in 3 for $1; large food trays $1 each; long burning chaffing(?) candles, $7 a case; oil lamps (small ones) 25 cents each; cans of sterno 50 cents each; a metal 5 gallon bucket w/lid (MM is going to build a rocket stove) $5; 2 frizbies for Abby-girl $1 each; a cylinder of tennis balls for Abby-girl $1; mens's suade type work gloves, 3 pair for $1; and a few other odds and ends that I can't remember...until I start putting them away! LOL Had a wonderful lunch with our friends, and my little "gift" to her was some of my dehydrated lemon slices (which she loves for her citrus water too!) and her "gift" was three rolls of gift-wrap ribbon. They (he) made me a ribbon maker (she put ribbon in it) for Christmas, so this goes with it! LOL Decided not to go to park, winds in the 20+ mph and that's just too much to really enjoy a walk or a bike ride. Came home and took a nap instead, and then rummaged the frig and found a broiled chicken breast I had cooked and vacume sealed in September...then a vacume sealed bag of cooked green beans, and then had some taters. All I had to do was nuke most of it! LOL Lazy Philbe

Comment from Philbe...you are soooo onery!

Comment from Philbe...hope your hubby gets to feeling better...

Wow its was so nice yesterday around 61 and not too windy went to a lake about a hr from us that we use to frequent before we moved and thought we were going to do some fishing but the dock was only in 3 feet of water and no fish were biting so we took the kids for a walk around the lake and part of it was so dry we could walk out to the middle is was crazy and scary to think of what a drought were in hope we gat some rain soon. So its sunday now and only 28 so im hiding inside while kids clean their rooms hubby went fishing at the stocked trout pond downtown so maybe well have some trout for dinner :) lol.

SUNDAY! For sure Fishermanswife! LOL I'm hopin' your man brings home a nice string for your supper and maybe some extra's. Right now I'm trying to settle down. I'm so frustrated with my son I could twist his ear...and he's 45! Because he's totally living at our expense and his grandma's expense there are some groundwork rules we've put in place in exchange for him living rent free etc. They cut his fancy phone off because he can't pay it (disability hasn't been approved yet), cut off his landline phone/internet/cable for the same reason. We told him we'd "jump him" via wifi from Mom's DSL so he could at least watch tv via HULU and U-Verse on his computer, and he's got himself an "Obama" cell phone, nothing fancy in the least, but he's got a phone with extremely limited service. We told him "WE" would do the hookup stuff on Mom's DSL (for privacy reasons) and he went bullheaded on, told his Grandma that we had told him we'd connect him (which she knew) and she let him access her pc, and hard wired into her outside hookup! Now he's got her password for her pc AND the passcode for her DSL connection! I am SSSSOOOOO angry at him! So, we're going to make a trip to the homestead house for a royal butt chewing, right in front of his grandma... which he tells his grandma "Mom's always chewing my butt for something"....wonder why?! I told him and will tell him again, the only thing you're showing us is that you cannot be trusted there with my Mother! I intend to ask him how he'd like to take his two dogs to the pound, and then go to the sheriff's office and register for the homeless shelter. Mean? No, just not going to be walked over like this. He put his perceived "needs" over our rights. He perceives that he "needs" an internet (can't seem to find his way to the local library because his gas guzzling truck uses $10 worth of gas to just start the thing up) and he "needs" a tv because he'd "go stir crazy" shut up in the apartment. Guess he thinks sitting outside or taking one or both of his dogs for a walk would do them great harm? Anyway...this is one Momma that's got her dander up...again. And yes, he's going to get another "butt chewing" as he puts it to his grandma. He's not in any position to negotiate anything. We've already told him that "when" and "if" he gets his disability that he'll pay rent, pay half the utilities, and pay half on the internet...guess he's not considered that we don't have to let him live there at all. He loves living in that little apartment because he can have his 2 dogs and a small fenced yard for them; but aparently hasn't given it much thought that we could have his butt hauled out. Everything in it belongs to us except his electronic gadgets and his clothes. Grrrrr...does that sound like somebody's pet!? LOL After we stop by & get the passwords etc., changed then we're headed for the Little House and park.

WEDNESDAY...Just sealed up 4 jars of dehydrated lemons and oranges. They were freebies. Also sealed up several small packages of hotel soap bars we've collected through the years & put them on shelves. Will grab one package (several little bars) to update our BOB's tonight. Temp is around 38 & sunny so Abby-girl is enjoying the sunshine outside in her kennel/run. Mtn.Man is working (thank you Lord for the work) and will be home before long to lay claim on the left-over chicken pie that I made last night with Bannock bread for the crust instead of regular pie crusts. Experiment that turned out good. Waiting for my order from Honeyville, took advantage of their 15% off sale to order several cans of whole eggs. Didn't really want to, but it saved us alot of money so went ahead and ordered them anyway. It'll show up on next month's cc so I'll be ready for it! LOL

THURSDAY...so very cold here, and not predicting any real warming trends. But, for January, pretty much typical. January and February are our winter months. Things are pretty quiet, Mtn.Man's at work putting an another laminate floor, so difficult for him but he loves this type of work (home repair & maintenance) since he's not building houses any more and it adds dollars to the till. Planning to work some more this weekend at the Little House. I know it seems like it's taking forever, but nobody can imagine what it was like to gut the house, and then have somebody break into it and trash everything we had boxed up. As many of you know, they stole both of our cased metal detectors (expensive ones) and then we noticed also that his small black jewelry box was missing, with his class rings (gold) and other jewelry. It was "stashed" and got overlooked when we started taking things out that were of great value. We've had to literlly go through each upside down box or tote and re-sort everything and re-pack it for storage. He did put a new break-in resistant "collar" on the door jam as well as putting a porch light by the back door (that's where they came in) and it's on all the time. An investor bought the earth contact next door and they're in and out all the time working on it and another investor bought 4 houses that are around the corner, so there's alot of traffic there now. This will help bring the sale price up on our property. We've just about got one bedroom empty and ready to pull the carpet out. The kitchen is ready for flooring (when we get the boxed totes out) and the living room is ready (when we get the new kitchen cabinets out of it) for carpet...which will be the last thing we put in. Abby-girl loves it when we go work there because it has a nice big yard and we usually go for a hike at the state park before we start work, since it's only a couple of miles away. We don't mind bundling up and walking/hiking if the weather is 35 or above. We believe it helps keep our strength, stamina and tolerance levels higher than trying to walk treadmills etc...though we do have one...IF we can make room for it here :-( on the enclosed porch.

thats just horrible that somebody broke in and stole stuff so sorry, yesterday was warm and nice todays 35 for the high brr not getn out much today bc im a big weanie lol and little man has an ear infection and the dr said she heard junk in his lungs so hes on meds now so I guess well stay inside and maybe pack when I get motivated im more productive in the evenings lol

thats just horrible that somebody broke in and stole stuff so sorry, yesterday was warm and nice todays 35 for the high brr not getn out much today bc im a big weanie lol and little man has an ear infection and the dr said she heard junk in his lungs so hes on meds now so I guess well stay inside and maybe pack when I get motivated im more productive in the evenings lol

Comment from Philbe...hope your little one gets well quickly! When my children were little I learned that a few drops of garlic oil (just poke a hole in a garlic gel cap) in the ear promptly (I mean prompty) brought an end to ear infections. Again, you two stay warm!

FRIDAY...Mtn.Man needed to work again today (usually doesn't on Friday's) so he can get the client's laminate floor down by early next week. Went over to homestead house and was able to jump son's laptop over onto Mom's computer, via wifi so he's got internet upstairs in the apt., and can watch free-hulu and U-verse for tv since he can't afford cable or dish or ???. That way it doesn't cost him anything nor her. Thanking her profusely...grandma's are great!!! He's got his papers ready to file income taxes so hopefully he'll be able to get some money back and pay his half of grandma's utilities. We told him we'd wait on collecting rent until he's gotten his disability (oh, I hope soooooo) and has got her taken care of, his dogs immunized, his truck insured. He has an appointment next week with a DR for the PTSD, and then in February with SSI doctor. Prayers appreciated!

Stubbed my left index finger & thumb earlier today...ouch! Was going up back steps from patio room to breezeway, stubbed my toe and ran my finger and thumb right into my Abby-girl...ouch for both of us. She jumped like she was shocked with a poker and stood their looking dismayed at me as if to say "What?" But...she didn't move, and that's why I didn't fall! PTL! So I'm thinking if my finger and thumb are as sore as they are, I wonder if her poor muzzle is sore also. Go down in the floor a bit ago and gave her some lovin'...LOL Just set 3 loaves of wheat bread out on racks to cool, AFTER I sawed off the ends of one loaf, buttered them and we had our "treat"...LOL

aww, Philbe, Im sorry about the break in. Sigh....... was just reading this thread and saw that. Im sorry you hurt your fingers and abby girl's muzzle, good that you both got a treat of fresh baked whole wheat bread and butter. My cat likes some of my bread stuff, lol . I hope you both feel better soon. I just did something that will open up time for other things that are most important now, considering the flavor of things nationally and for prepping's sake . It will be good for me, thats all I need to say. I hope. Its something I need to conquer within I think, as well.

:hug3: For Philbe and Arby.

And of course for Abby's nose! :wub:

(you can always sneek over to Auntie Jeepers if the abuse contines!)

:D

Edited fur spellin. C-o-n-t-i-n-u-e-s.

That's what I get for being a smarty pants.

Edited by Jeepers

Abby tells Jeepers "I lovya...but my heart belongs to mommy"...LOL I noticed though, she's not racing to the top of the steps, perhaps the "me first" law inadvertantly taught her something? LOL

Arby...taking care of business is paramount, and it's not really anybody's biz unless you feel they need to know! Hugs to you and Jeepers both!

MONDAY...just sort of taking things easy today. Put some laundry in, letting Abby-girl enjoy the outside 70+ temperature. Can't believe this in January! Mtn.Man had a nice check last Friday so we spent half of it putting some additional "camping" supplies on the shelf. That will put us about 3 weeks ahead of our regular shopping. Yesterday took a nice long drive to a favorite camp site and let Abby have a "wild" run...she spooked a white tail and chased it a bit before Mtn.Man had to call her back with her remote. Glad we had it because she was a full run with her whole being focued on that "thing" that was running! LOL She's never seen one! Located several really nice camp sites that we'll be going to as soon as we start "bugging out" again. We camp there pretty regular, but just haven't went that deep into the camp sites because they're so popular and always booked up. We'll have to get a much earlier start if we want to have access to them. Two overlook the massive lake area so that's why they're so popular. The other is across the road, but still very nice. There are four couples of us who enjoy camping together but we just can't always get our schedules together at the same time. Mtn.Man and I camp more than all of them because two of the couples have people still working. The only other retired couple have a farm that they have to make arrangements before they can hitch up. Guess I'd better go finish up my kitchen duties...hugs to all!