MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

THOUGHTS FOR TODAY

No reaction to cantaloupe! :cele: Praise God! :happy0203: The possible reactions we were looking for was a skin rash/hives or redness around my mouth (think old lady lipstick). I'm thrilled that none of that happened.

I'm having DH stop and buy more cantaloupe today. My digestion system has s-l-o-w-e-d way down. :gdtmi: I'm hoping a bunch of cantaloupe will get things moving. Everything on the OB's list for constipation is stuff I can't have. (Seriously, why do most OTC things have to contain food dye? :shrug: ). I did order plain psyllium husk capsules, but they won't be here until next week. I'm not very confident about taking that, though, as apparently psyllium fiber is imported from India. :gaah:

Other than that, it's hot and humid here. I'm just trying to stay cool.

Are there any "anti-gas" gel caps that you can take? Can be quite effective...TMI from a nurse friend...also glycerine suppositories...?

Thank you, Phlibe! All the "anti-gas" OTC products I'm seeing have food dye in them. I haven't gotten to the suppositories...yet, but will look into them.

• 2 weeks later...

THURSDAy...modem has been down for awhile so I'm trying to catch up on recent MrsS news etc. Had a wonderful time while on vacation, visited the Hannibal Missouri Mark Twain Festival, then came home and took a day trip on the motorcycle to a campground will be going to this next week. Came home and then took a very long day trip to the Mark Twain National Forest/Johnson's Shut-Ins. What a beautiful and interesting area! It's on our bucket list to go camping to, but it will have to be a time when we can stay at least 10 days since there's so many other things to see in the area (Trail of Tears, Elephant Rock etc.). Got home in the wee hours so pretty much slept it off until about 11:00 am Monday. Mountain Man's back working on the pastor's church. Don't have to, but just feels like he "wants" to. Dizzy spells started getting much worse so went to Doc for check up and blood tests. They called and said everything looked fine EXCEPT my thyroid was totally off the chart! Normal is 3.5-4:00 and mine was 38.2. perhaps .38? They put me on Synthroid so that would indicate "low" thyroid? So, for the first time in my life I'm having to take a pill every day, and for the rest of my life probably. Hopefully will start feeling better soon.

Edited by Philbe

My siblings are visiting for a week. I keep looking at my older sister and asking myself and dh "Do I do that"?

"Do I sound like that"? Our husbands really enjoy being together and teasing "the girls".

Older brother and his wife are arriving this afternoon, so there will be about 15 of us for supper at my house tonight.

I have a little break right now to do some tidying up and then will take the dogs for their shots around 3:00 o'clock. Dh is picking up the meats etc. and will be the BBQ host with the most.

It is looking like rain so I hope we can be out for the supper hour. There is more seating on the deck than in the livingroom!

We still don't know where big brother is staying so we may be playing musical beds tonight too.......You never know if dsl will want to keep him from visiting. She is a gold digger type and is afraid he will give us his millions of dollars some day.........

When everyone is gone we are leaving to visit the grands.

Is it silly to be doing a happy dance that my can of Augason Farms whole eggs just came in the mail? lol We have lots of real food around but just now getting into dried cans of stuff etc. I ordered it first bc I went to make a cake the other day and couldn't bc of no eggs lol, I figured if I opened it for something like that I would use the vacuum sealer and put some into bags to keep it fresher than in a opened can. Not much going on around here drizzling rain which is good hopefully it will be dry this weekend to start putting the shed up we bought at lowes and my brothers suppose to bring me wood pallets from his work so I can make shelves in the kitchen cabinets bc all 3 of them are 2 feet wide and 3 feet tall so if you stack stuff it ends up falling down and at lowes the wood I looked at was over $30 for just one board umm not for me the pallets will do just fine nobodys going to see it but me anyways. Also ordered 2 dried soup mixes bc it made the shipping free and they were less than what shipping would be so practically free right? Hasn't came yet but got a bottle of burn gel bc Im always burning myself on the oven and hubby brought some gel home from work but once your tear a packet open you got to use it within a couple days or throw it away so now I can put the rest of the packets in car or camping stuff and have the bottle in the house and just use a little and close it up, so glad to have this site to do my happy typing lol nobody else around understand why I order the things I do. Hope everyone has a great Tuesday guess I will go do something productive before I have to go to town.

my thought for today is about associations -- wondering if my actions and associations are wise. Today I was sort of stunned to learn the views of an acquaintance ... sort of friend (trying to not use that term as freely as I had been because it doesn't seem too bright of me to be so free with thinking one a friend). She's very anti-gun, very anti- Stand your Ground laws and feels police are the only ones who should have a firearm of any type ... I knew that, I figured to each his/her own, we're not all going to agree about everything. But today was different, she is apparently very anti-Christian (esp. conservative Christians), post after post on Facebook has been about how bad conservative Christians are ... for awhile I was thinking to myself about *her* but then I realized a lot about MYSELF. I kind of felt like Peter denying the Lord, because each time I thought of speaking up in defense of God, the unborn, and so on, but remained silent. Self-reflection indeed!

I know not everyone is going to agree on everything .. such as guns, social issues, religion. I am however giving a whole lot more thought on who I consider a friend. At the same time though, I am struggling with whether it's shallow/intolerant to limit friendships ... and more so, if it's disrespectful to the Lord to have them, when we learn of their view on His word. :sigh:

Yeah, kind of a derailed train of thought I guess. It's where my thoughts of the day keep returning though.

my thought for today is about associations -- wondering if my actions and associations are wise. Today I was sort of stunned to learn the views of an acquaintance ... sort of friend (trying to not use that term as freely as I had been because it doesn't seem too bright of me to be so free with thinking one a friend). She's very anti-gun, very anti- Stand your Ground laws and feels police are the only ones who should have a firearm of any type ... I knew that, I figured to each his/her own, we're not all going to agree about everything. But today was different, she is apparently very anti-Christian (esp. conservative Christians), post after post on Facebook has been about how bad conservative Christians are ... for awhile I was thinking to myself about *her* but then I realized a lot about MYSELF. I kind of felt like Peter denying the Lord, because each time I thought of speaking up in defense of God, the unborn, and so on, but remained silent. Self-reflection indeed!

I know not everyone is going to agree on everything .. such as guns, social issues, religion. I am however giving a whole lot more thought on who I consider a friend. At the same time though, I am struggling with whether it's shallow/intolerant to limit friendships ... and more so, if it's disrespectful to the Lord to have them, when we learn of their view on His word. :sigh:

Yeah, kind of a derailed train of thought I guess. It's where my thoughts of the day keep returning though.

:bighug2: (You sounded like you needed a hug!)

Hmmm that's gives me a lot to think about too. I have always distanced myself from certain people like from DH work, he has to work with them and that fine, but I don't spend time with them outside of work bc I don't want them influencing my children. So am I a snob so to speak if I don't hang out with certain people bc of what they believe or is it that God doesn't want them to be a bad influence on me? Oh well guess all just keep on doing what seems to have worked up til now, that is being a snob lol.

Afterthought, I've never been one to have many "friends" or people around I wonder if that's how it was meant to be...like his plan was for me not to be a follower.

I don't know...this a difficult topic. If we are supposed to only be around those who think like us how is the gospel supposed to spread? How are people going to see how our relationship with Jesus Christ has changed us if we don't interact with them? And yet, it is possible to compromise our relationship with God when we are. I live this out every day in my work environment (school district classroom) where I have to be very careful what I say...but all staff know how I believe...so my actions are what speak for me. In my home as well...my dh walked away years ago....we've had some heated discussions...not too heated because I want my actions to speak at home as well. Yet, the other day our dd (also walked away during high school) wanted to go see the Conjuring (scary, scary movie) that I won't even watch the commercials for and he had changed his mind and told her that she needed be careful of what she puts in her mind because once its there it never goes away. What?? How many times over the years has that been MY line? So, I don't have the answer. There are some people I avoid because I don't feel strong enough myself to deal...avoiding family is not an option for me...at least the family under my roof.

Are we supposed to be the light of the world?

Matthew 5:14-16 New International Version (NIV)

14 You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

2 Timothy 2:2426

24 And the Lords servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, 26 and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.

Matthew 5:16

16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that 2 they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

Or are we supposed to stay away from non-Christian's?

James 4:4-5 ESV

"You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us?"

I'd really like to hear other folks thoughts on this.....

Edited by dogmom4

Luma, I was thinking about your post as I was trying to fall asleep last night.

My rambling thoughts...

On the 2nd Amendment, many of the vehement antis' arguments are based on emotion, not facts. When I got my carry gun, certain relatives were not happy about it. It wasn't one of those things where we could "agree to disagree" because the other people just couldn't let it go, couldn't stop bringing it up, ect. The fact that a convicted rapist was being released from prison and moving into my neighborhood wasn't a good enough reason for them.

Overall, I try to "agree to disagree" with people. If it's something they won't let go, want to continually argue about, constantly bring it up, ect. I just don't know any other way to deal with that other than no longer associating with them. I think there's a difference between "speaking your mind" and "not giving up until everyone agrees with you". :beat_deadhorse: It's not like those people are enjoyable to be around, anyway. :animal0017:

I'm a Christian. I don't push my views or beliefs on anyone. I've been speaking up a little lately, though, when encountering this blatant hatred about how bad we are.

As for overall associating or disassociating with friends...I think some of it comes down to even if you both disagree, there has to be a level of respect. And then you're usually friends with someone because you have things in common, share common interests, enjoy each other's company, ect.

There's probably something to add about op-sec here, too, but my mind keeps wandering to what to have for supper.

I don't know...this a difficult topic. If we are supposed to only be around those who think like us how is the gospel supposed to spread? How are people going to see how our relationship with Jesus Christ has changed us if we don't interact with them? And yet, it is possible to compromise our relationship with God when we are. I live this out every day in my work environment (school district classroom) where I have to be very careful what I say...but all staff know how I believe...so my actions are what speak for me. In my home as well...my dh walked away years ago....we've had some heated discussions...not too heated because I want my actions to speak at home as well. Yet, the other day our dd (also walked away during high school) wanted to go see the Conjuring (scary, scary movie) that I won't even watch the commercials for and he had changed his mind and told her that she needed be careful of what she puts in her mind because once its there it never goes away. What?? How many times over the years has that been MY line? So, I don't have the answer. There are some people I avoid because I don't feel strong enough myself to deal...avoiding family is not an option for me...at least the family under my roof.

Are we supposed to be the light of the world?

Matthew 5:14-16 New International Version (NIV)

14 You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

2 Timothy 2:2426

24 And the Lords servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, 26 and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.

Matthew 5:16

16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that 2 they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

Or are we supposed to stay away from non-Christian's?

James 4:4-5 ESV

"You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us?"

I'd really like to hear other folks thoughts on this.....

I don't have a really good answer, but I'll offer something which happened to me at work.....There was a man who, just by his actions and speech alone, set him apart as "different". I noticed that he did not curse, did not enjoy or approve of dirty jokes (although he did not openly criticize them either), didn't smoke or drink, he seemed to have a gentle nature all of the time. He is a friend and brother named Josh.

A few times we talked about God, his beliefs and mine, and I came to realize that his demeanor and nature was not a put-on or fake, he truly loves the Lord and is doing his best to follow Him. I became deeply ashamed, knowing that those around me did not see me as "different", I was still one of the boys, acting like them to "get along". Josh showed Christ in his life daily, me never. To this day, there are times I still feel that shame, for what I did do, and especially for what I did not do; show through my life that Christ was my Savior. I kept my mouth shut since anything I might say about God would sound hollow.

Was I saved? I had some real trouble with that, my head said "yes" but my heart could only manage a feeble "maybe". Since the time I came to that "maybe", I needed to decide was I "all in" or not, either take ALL of Jesus, or none of Him. I took all.

Now, I am a continuous work-in-progress and under total new management, Jesus Christ my Lord. Am I saved? Most certainly. Why? Because my Lord gave me repentance, a saving faith and belief that He died for all of my sins and His promise that He would finish what He started. I have nothing to say in my own defense and I am NOT a "good person" by any stretch of imagination, but He loves me anyway. ONLY the eternal mercy of God saves, nothing we have or can do will ever be good enough to get His favor, as filthy rags.

I want people to see me as "different" now. The world is desperately looking for genuine difference, leading to a God who loves them as much as He loves me.

SATURDAY...been awhile since I had time to do anything but just read. Pulled the netting off the garden today so we can get in better. Pulled the rest of my onions, chopped them & put them in vacume sealed cannisters to freeze, then I'll put them in vacume sealed bags. Just didn't want my freezer stunk up! Lots of corn, some already shelled & in freezer bags, more for another day...I shucked & cleaned them and they're hiding in my big crisper drawer! Vacume sealed several bags of green beans & they're in the deep freeze. Two, gallon bags of cherry tomatoes in deep freeze until I want to do something with them. When I freeze them, all I have to do is dump them in hot water and they nearly peel themselves. Had several regular tomatoes that were over-ripe in my frig so I put them in my little Aldi's blender kit (I bought a couple of years ago for $12.99) and addes lots of spices. They'll be so nice with some sour cream added, for a dip or ??? Got a few more beans and carrots in bags in crisper to take care of Monday too. My feet, back & hands are screaming at me. Tomorrow we go to little house for MM to clear more brush & mow (since it didn't rain like they thought it would). I'll probably stay pretty clear since I injured my right shin & to bump it would make me very unhappy! We'll also pay little house bills while we're there and take in the nearby state park so Abby-girl can play frisbie. I'll pack a picnic lunch, we so enjoy that! Feeling alot better since they diagnosed that my thyroid was basically not working. Taking Synthroid, so the balance is better, the lethargic feelings are starting to go away, and a host of other symptoms that were going on that I now know where directly related to low thyroid function. I'm to go back in September, so hopefully it will be good enough to not have to raise the dosage by then. We loaded up and went to our first produce auction Friday and it was so much fun! The Amish worked so hard to get their produce into the "valley" so the auctioneer could get the food sold...and sold it he did! We were so amazed at the buyers that were from restaurants but alot who bought only to take back to their home towns and re-sell! We think we might venture into this market ourselves during the harvest season, and then hitch up and head for warmer weather come late fall. Abby-girl is such a joy to us these days. After I injured my leg & had it bandaged, I raised my skirt & said "ouchie, ouchie" ... and she dived under "her coffee table". She's so sympathetic. I just know if we could get her settled when she meets people, she'd be a wonderful therapy friend. Thought I'd add a couple of pics so Jeepers can see her "grand-dog"! LOL Our camping trip with our friends was so much fun. We canoed, walked and at like kings & queens. Thursday evening 1 couple fixed meat & us other 2 brought sides. Friday evening 1 fixed meat, and 2 brought sides. Saturday evening we fixed meat & they brought sides. Not a bad bite any night! The others brought their bikes but we didn't. With my equalibrium so far out of wack, I just didn't trust myself on a bike. We're trying to sell my collapsible so I can buy a collapsible trike. Then I can ride and get the excercise I love! Signing off for the time being!

Oh, I do love seeing Abby! She was looking pretty serious there. Maybe growing up and maturing a little? Or just tired! :laughkick:

Honestly, I was just about to hint for some more pictures when you posted you had hurt your leg so I didn't want to bother you. She is so sweet. Lucky you...and her too.

Oh, I do love seeing Abby! She was looking pretty serious there. Maybe growing up and maturing a little? Or just tired! :laughkick:

Honestly, I was just about to hint for some more pictures when you posted you had hurt your leg so I didn't want to bother you. She is so sweet. Lucky you...and her too.

Her "serious" look was probably because she had her head resting on my knee and knew the "ouchie, ouchie" was right beneath that knee! LOL Yes, she's maturing very well, but just goes ape when she gets around humans and other dogs...for the most part. Sometimes she "mowhawks" and we have to hold the leash tight! Because of her size, when we take her where there's people & dogs we have to put on her "jewelry" (prong collar) or we'd never hold her. She's strong as a bull from her life of exercise. She'll even take MM across a field if he tries to hold with only one hand, I'd never be able to hold her. She loves sitting between her daddy's knees (as you can see) and letting him scratch her chest...LOL Glad you enjoyed the pics.

MONDAY...Well the Chili Rillanos turned out pretty good! Served them up with spanish rice & refried beans. I didn't have any regular salsa to make my rice with, but I had some corn salsa and it tasted just great. They're Mtn.Man's favorite Mexican dish so now perhaps we've saved some money by learning the serve them "authentic" style at home! Here's a pic of his plate...LOL

I had a checkup today. This doc spent more time typing/clicking stuff on the ipod screen than actually speaking to me.. I'm not a fan of these electronic records. And yet they still don't seem to know what's going on or what the last one told me. :shakinghead:

Rain and thunderstorms yesterday (always a plus not to have to water the garden). Hoping it will be a few days until the returning humidity creeps into the house.

I don't like those electronic files either. My Dr. used one with me for the first time, the last time I was there. I don't know, it seems sort of rude. Like someone sitting right in front of you talking on their cell phone or texting. And yeah, she seemed more engrossed with the 'iPod' thingy,what ever it is, than with me. :shrug:

I went to Amish country today and loaded up on tomatoes and green beans. It was too late to start canning when I got home. Will get an early start tomorrow. It was so humid today it zapped all of the energy out of me. There was a tornado down there yesterday with winds up to 95 MPH. I didn't even know anything about it until I got down there. One roof blown off and lots of trees and limbs down. As far as shopping it was business as usual.

Lots of rain here...and I found mold on my baby yellow squash, so pulled them off and tossed them...:-( Picked some more cherry tomatoes & carrots. Vacume sealed cherry tomatoes, carrots & celery and made up a batch of homemade ranch dip/dressing for our snacks. As for the electronic stuff...my doc still knows how to write...thank the Lord! But when mother is in hospital, they have laptops mounted to the sides of the walls and the nurses all use them. Makes me a bit squeemish if you think about all the hacking and spying that's going on.

FRIDAY...We had planned to work at Little House, but woke up to a drenching rain. Can't cut brush & limbs in this. Took a drive to a Mennonite butcher & processor but the only "retail" meats they sell are meats that have been USDA inspected, and they told us "we don't know where it comes from..." So, back to square one in trying to find some grass fed beef. Pastor friend told us he gets his on the hoof, but isn't sure if it's grass fed & no harmones. Hoping Mtn.Man can go deer hunting this next season on our friends land and get us one. Took a "day trip" to Mennonite country and purchased some things I needed to replenish our pantry. Got cheddar cheese ends (huge chunks) for 25 cents a pound, bought some more Japanese rice crubs (panko) and some rice noodles. Of course, we found some other foods that we'll make sure of. I packed a picnic lunch with summer sausage, cheese, nacho chips, and some of the celery, carrots & tomatoes that I had vacume sealed in the frig, along with the homemade ranch dip/dressing. Mighty good lunch in a vacant parking lot! LOL Then stopped by some friends home (they had called & we missed the call) and sat out in the little rain drops in lawn chairs and visited while Abby-girl ran her tail off with their 4 dogs...LOL Got home, she ate her supper & promptly went into her "Abby Cave" (crate) and hasn't moved an inch. Just looks out at us now and then...LOL Got the herbs off the dehydrator, bagged & in frig. Not sure if I'll crush & store them or go ahead and enjoy them now. I like to mix up a "house blend" that all I have to do is grab some and pitch it into whatever I'm cooking. Also mixed up a batch of herbal butter, we love it on toast when we have speghetti etc. Shin is healing well. After shower tonight I went ahead and put Iodine on it, let it dry & then the anibiotic ointment before I put new bandages on. So much bruising...:-(