MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

THOUGHTS FOR TODAY

I'd ask what is the worst that can happen and how will you know you are at that point. It might help you decide.

Surgeons tend to want to do...surgery.

We've talked it over a bit, and I'm of the opionion to do just what my primary care physician told me several years ago when it first came up..."if you don't bother it, it won't bother you". I usually wear my back brace which comes across my tummy and velcros as snug as I want it. I'll just start wearing it all the time any time, that I'm working...whether it's lifting or bending or ??? May even wear it when I'm riding my adult trike. It's my understanding that if it bulges very large and becomes dreadfully painful, then it's time to seek medical attention asap, because you don't want it to become "strangulated".

When we found out DHs biopsy came back as cancer the Dr. who did the (barbaric) biopsy and gave us the results said that dh needed a shot right then and didn't make it real clear what the shot was but that it was needed. After the nurse gave the shot they then told us we had plenty of time to make decisions about surgery because it could not be done for at least 6 weeks following the shot. Our heads were going in all diirections and we just weren't thinking straight....soon we were billed over $3000 for a "chemo" treatment for a drug that has been under FDA review and thousands of lawsuits are pending :( .

We quickly made an appointment with DHs' pulmonologist (sp?)... He doesn't know a lot about cancer but he is one of the very few people we trust in the medical field and we have a tremendous amount of respect for him. He sat with us for over an hour (ocasionnally leaving for a few minutes to see other patients) and made several calls to help us find the best care. He is an adventist and normaly has a different way of treating things but it has always been amazingly effective.

He told us one thing that I will NEVER forget.....he knew we were overwhelmed and we had a lot of choices to make but we needed to realize that if you go to a general practicioner (M.D.) that normally they are trained at traditional medical schools that are greatly funded by pharmaceutical companies so they tend to prescibe meds to solve medical problems...it's what they know. A surgeon is trained to do surgery to solve medical problems....it's what they know. An oncologist is trained to use chemo and radiation to address medical issues...it's what they know. They aren't wrong and usaully mean you no harm but doing what they've been trained to do.

We changed doctors and dh had surgery. We prayed that the cancer would be totally contained and when they did surgery they said the cancer was all in a tight little sack and that the sack was pefectly healthy tissue...PRAISE GOD!!! No chemo, no radiation and after a year still testing cancer free.

I am so thankful for our dear Dr. friend. He changed our whole perspective on medical treatment and told us that we had to be our own advocates for what was right for us and not let anyone (even doctors) make decisions about our medical care.

THURSDAY...evening. Sitting here, the house is so very quiet. Abby-girl is taking a nap in bedroom & Mtn.Man went to Lowe's to pick up some hardware that he needs to rig a spring loaded "arm" for Abby's leash to be on when she's trotting beside him on his bicycle. Mtn.Man's not lined up for any more outside work, so when we get back from funeral on Tuesday, he'll do some repairs around here and then we'll start (again) on the Little House. I'm almost ashamed when we have to tell people we still have that house sitting there needing the remodeling refinished :-( We probably shouldn't be bugging out this weekend, but we haven't hardly camped at all this year & our friends can only go on weekends because she still works (she's a professor at a nearby college). This weekend we'll have three couples and a dear friend who's just beginning to enter into a divorce after her husband bailed on her. She's truly been "cuddled" by all of us to let her know what it's not her that has the problem. She's loving the camping experience. Our hearts sympathize with her; she was a recent widow when this "jerk" came into her life only to turn it upside down again. Mother can't go to the funeral (COPD etc.) so she's having some anxiety about it. Has already had to contact her doc. for meds. I just hate it that she has to take so much prednisone :-( My former boss had asthma etc., and towards the last, just about lived on that stuff just to get a breath. I know the pattern. I'm feeling alot better this week. The dizziness has subsided alot and I think the synthroid has helped my body start catching up. I'm not nearly as "tuckered out" all the time. Riding our bikes about 4 miles every morning has truly helped me start gaining my strength back. Me having the trike gives me that added safety feeling. I was really not comfortable riding a 2 wheeler, even though everybody said "oh, you'll be yourself again soon". Now if we can figure out how to put 2 wheels under me on my recumbent! LOL Took an antique silver set (about 40+ years old) and (32 pieces still wrapped & never opened) to our jeweler to get it appraised so we can put it on the market. It's worth more as silverware than melted down bullion. Well, Philbe sees Abby-girl flopping down at her feet and taking a nap here instead of in the bedroom! LOL Picked some more okra, tomatoes and squash from the garden this evening after we loaded our camping gear into the back of the truck. The other night I fixed a "garden" stir fry for supper. Sliced potatoes, onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, chopped basil, thyme & parsley (from my herb patch) and then dumped a can of chili beans on top of all of it. Sooooo yummy! LOL

I guess I better shut this down & spend some time reading. Take care all and I'll be back to posting in a few days. Hugs!

Ya know how sometimes one little repair project can snowball into something bigger?

The sprayer hose for the kitchen sink is leaking...anytime we use the tap. No problem. We picked up a new hose! DH looks under the sink to see what's all involved. The connector hoses to the tap for hot and cold water aren't looking the healthiest and since he'll need to unhook those to get to the sprayer hose....So, new connector hoses, no big deal. Except he has to take off the kitchen counter to do all this. :sigh:

Ya know how sometimes one little repair project can snowball into something bigger?

The sprayer hose for the kitchen sink is leaking...anytime we use the tap. No problem. We picked up a new hose! DH looks under the sink to see what's all involved. The connector hoses to the tap for hot and cold water aren't looking the healthiest and since he'll need to unhook those to get to the sprayer hose....So, new connector hoses, no big deal. Except he has to take off the kitchen counter to do all this. :sigh:

Absolutely understood! LOL

TUESDAY; Went to family funeral today and though it's sad to say goodbye to elderly relatives, it's sweet to know they're sitting at the feet of Jesus. Was so surprised to see four of my cousins (all but one, younger than myself) totally white headed! Where in the world did they grab all those years!? Just seen one my age last summer and she wasn't white then! :-) Just as we pulled into the funeral home parking lot a hose came off the engine & steam went everywhere. My brothers were there to run get a clamp & had some hand tools so Mtn.Man could get us back on the road "temporatily" and home. We'll need to get it fixed (just spent $$$ on the truck, $$$ on new tires for the fan) a bit later. We'll nurse it here in town etc., so we can save up some dollars to get it done. Long....day. Came home, changed clothes and took a long nap! Tomorrow we'll visit Little House for a ladder so Mtn.Man can do some repair work on this house's facia & guttering etc. Then, we'll be off to work on the Little House...FINALLY...again. Still needing to get it sold. Thought for awhile MM would sell "as is" but he just will not do it. Says he is not going to take that kind of a "hit" so...Philbe just goes along and puts her trust in the Lord to know what steps we need to walk in. Just not sure how this "affordable" thing is going to affect us. Sure don't want the government trying to put liens on any of our properties!

SUNDAY; Worked at the Little House yesterday and today and really made some headway! One bedroom is now totally free of anything, all the carpet & padding pulled, and swept. Shelves hung on the walls, most of my canning jars now occupy a closet, and we'll start moving buckets tomorrow. THEN, we'll unload both of the pantry shelving units (the biggies!) and dismantle them, take them to LH & put them back together and then put the stock back on them. We'll only keep a month's supply here until we get it sold. We're going to divest ourselves of everything here that's not essential, and make ready for the essentials at LH. When we've completed moving the pantry, we'll convert the other bedroom to a "library/computer room" and then we'll get started on putting in the new kitchen. Once the kitchen is completed, we'll use the livingroom for a bedroom/livingroom set up. It'll work for us since we're gone so much. When the enclosed porch is emptied, we plan to put a gas stove out there for canning, another deep freeze & a work table for my dehydrators and other appliances. We still have all the old cabinets from the kitchen so we'll put them out there for storage etc. Abby-girl loves it when we go to LH because it has such a big yard for her to play in, and there's no close neighbors so she runs like the wind! We'll drive to the homestead periodically to keep tabs on things, but the garden is just about done so we don't have to water etc., and picking only every 2 or 3 days is needed. When mom's gone to be with the Lord, then we'll do some remodeling there, move there permanently, and sell LH. Does all this confuse my friends here?! Just think how we feel! LOL Rained some yesterday and the weather has turned off pretty cool but I love this time of year. No mosquitors and no ticks! Yeh!!!! Also loaded up a big load of brush & deposited it at the city brush dump so we're making progress in the yard at LH too. Later...

• 1 month later...

WEDNESDAY...been on a sort of "sabatical". So much stuff in our lives to deal with, and just felt like it was time to "tidy up" some things. Mountain Man's still doing some odds-n-end jobs and I've started cleaning mother's apartment, doing her laundry and keeping her hair cut. Son's taking her around, she let her drivers license expire and decided to just leave it be. Put son on her car insurance. Just about have the Little House cleared out & ready to start some sheetrock in the kitchen & livingroom areas. Now that we've made the decision to move there & sell this one instead of vice-versus, I'm sort of excited. It will be such a new house and very small, easy to clean & heat and very remote compared to this one. Abby-girl absolutely loves to run the big corner lot & dart into the back tree line before we call her back :-) It's definitely "off the beaten path". We'd like to buy the vacant lot across the road to put our RV on etc., but they want way too much $$$$ for it since it's not buildable. We checked w/city and they won't allow anything to be built on it except a store shed or something like that. It was donated to Habitat For Humanity but they have a Realtor navigating it for them, and he thinks a Realtor, even though he says he's "donating" his time etc. He doesn't know I worked in the RE field for 30 years :-) Anyway...when we get this one sold perhaps we'll change our mind and make an offer of about half of what they're asking. Funny how people change their mind when you show them the green. The previous owner donated it because he got tired of paying taxes on it and couldn't get it sold. But, it's got alot of trees on it, a pad for a trailer & hook ups, and has a small creek running to the back of it...Abby-girl done took a swim one day! LOL Came back with everything but her head wet & seemed to be grinning like she'd swallowed a pork chop! Still dealing with a few health issues, sure wish this body would settle down and act right! Mountain Man's dealing now with a gouty toe. Had to start taking some meds that they say he'll have to take from now on. We both have started taking tart cherry capsules and eating dried cherries in our cereals or as treats. At least he's able to walk now. Took about a week before he could do much more than tip-toe around in his crocks, which wasn't the best thing to do when he was working. Maybe now, with things caught up a bit, I'll be able to stop by more often.

For the gout will the cherry juice work quicker? I have heard so much good about the juice....

Yes life goes on- if not for us for others.....

How big is the little house? sq.ft?

I am longing for a smaller house myself, this 1395 sq.ft house

makes for too much of everything..... built/arranged right a small house

can have more "room" than a big one.

For the gout will the cherry juice work quicker? I have heard so much good about the juice....

We truly believe the cherry juice is pushing the medicine along alot quicker. He's also taking 1/2 tsp. of baking soda in a half glass of water, twice a day. At the onset, we were advised for him to take it every 2 hours and that's what he did. Believe it or not...here's how it went. Wakes up with toe so sore he can't even stand sheets to touch it. Searches internet & finds article on the baking soda thing, so he immediately starts taking it and chewing on the dehydrated cherries we had in the pantry. Next morning, toe seemed to be almost healed! Called doctor & got meds, started taking meds and bang...inflammation flared. The baking soda article said the medicine would make gout flare for a few weeks & so did the pamphlet that came with the meds. That's exactly what happened. We truly believe if he'd been able to stay off the meds, the gout probably would have gone away. Anyway, quit the baking soda, and this morning he woke up with some stinging in the toe. Grabbed the baking soda so fast it made my head spin! We're not telling anybody that this is what they should do, just sharing what's working for Mountain Man. I'm taking the cherry capsule because it's supposed to be so full of antioxidants etc., and I can tell you...I've had no problems with constipation since I started on it! Seems it does a bit of cleansing? Who knows. Bottom line is we believe in preventive care at every turn, if we can.

THURSDAY...very dreary outside, temp probably in the mid 20's but no wind so not too bad really considering what's going on all around us. Just took some oatmeal cookies out of the oven, Mountain Man loves my chewy cookies so I thought it would be a nice "welcome home sweetie" when he steps in the door. Nothing smells better than cinnamon! I put up 2 pints of homemade taco sauce yesterday and just let them "ping" and then put them in the frig. Not going to fire up the canner for just 2 pints. They'll be just fine in the frig. I have a great recipe that tastes almost like taco bell's sauce...which we love! The only thing I cut down on is the cayenne since MM can't handle too much heat. When we go to TB's he loves the fire roasted, and it's not hot at all. I'll have to mess around with my current recipe (which tastes like their mild sauce) to see if I can get that same taste or close to it. Today's MM's end of the week but we'll be working at the Little House Fri, Sat & Sun. But we keep the utilities on there so we don't get cold. We were able to take our "set aside" money for TLH and found a brand new bathroom vanity and sink. The sink is very large, square and deep and the fanity is very tall. MM fell in love with it since he's so tall and won't have to bend over to use it. The finish is what they call "natural look" rock so it's got some places that to me weren't really appealing, but...like I said, MM fell in love with it. We got the whole set up for less than what a small vanity & sink would cost. We'll get it hooked up as soon as we move the wire laundry rack from over the washer & dryer there, and move them a few inches further to the wall. I'll leave the washer & dryer here in this laundry as well as the electric stove so we won't have to mess with moving them. I will take my side-by-side frig though because it's got the ice maker and filtered water dispenser. To replace it would cost us a bundle, which we don't have right now, and having the appliances here will help sell the house quicker.

The Little House is about 850 sq.ft. and all on one level. The roof line is a very low gable and the attic is insulated so well that it takes very little heat to keep the house warm. Since we're starting from scratch, we're able to do pretty much whatever we have money for. The only real change I am having him do is to remove a wall he studded in between the kitchen & livingroom. It will give me a bit more room in the kitchen for my table & chairs. Then he's changing an extra closet he studded in, in the livingroom, to make me a small kitchen pantry. It'll have bi-fold doors but that's okay with me. I don't need another coat closet in the livingroom, there's already one there. The livingroom is very large, so we're going to use my beautiful, cherry wood looking entertainment/bookcase as a room divider (it's about 6 foot long) and will put several book cases on it's back side, and then the computer desk in that area...which will also lead to the front door (which nobody uses). I'll have alot more clothes closets there than here also, plus a linen closet in the bathroom, and another broom closet in the hall way. The floor plan resembles a ranch-type home even though it's a cottage. I'll also have an enclosed porch (like here) that I'll be able to do all my dehydrating etc., since we'll use all the old kitchen cabs out there and several work surfaces. We've already got all the new cabs, but will have to stain & finish them. Again, I get to make the choice so I'll match them to the new vinyl & new carpeting.

THURSDAY...very dreary outside, temp probably in the mid 20's but no wind so not too bad really considering what's going on all around us. Just took some oatmeal cookies out of the oven, Mountain Man loves my chewy cookies so I thought it would be a nice "welcome home sweetie" when he steps in the door. Nothing smells better than cinnamon! I put up 2 pints of homemade taco sauce yesterday and just let them "ping" and then put them in the frig. Not going to fire up the canner for just 2 pints. They'll be just fine in the frig. I have a great recipe that tastes almost like taco bell's sauce...which we love! The only thing I cut down on is the cayenne since MM can't handle too much heat. When we go to TB's he loves the fire roasted, and it's not hot at all. I'll have to mess around with my current recipe (which tastes like their mild sauce) to see if I can get that same taste or close to it. Today's MM's end of the week but we'll be working at the Little House Fri, Sat & Sun. But we keep the utilities on there so we don't get cold. We were able to take our "set aside" money for TLH and found a brand new bathroom vanity and sink. The sink is very large, square and deep and the fanity is very tall. MM fell in love with it since he's so tall and won't have to bend over to use it. The finish is what they call "natural look" rock so it's got some places that to me weren't really appealing, but...like I said, MM fell in love with it. We got the whole set up for less than what a small vanity & sink would cost. We'll get it hooked up as soon as we move the wire laundry rack from over the washer & dryer there, and move them a few inches further to the wall. I'll leave the washer & dryer here in this laundry as well as the electric stove so we won't have to mess with moving them. I will take my side-by-side frig though because it's got the ice maker and filtered water dispenser. To replace it would cost us a bundle, which we don't have right now, and having the appliances here will help sell the house quicker.

Recipe please?

Recipe please?

I'll get it posted in the recipe section okay?

WEDNESDAY: For those of you who have purchased the wick assemblies that will turn your canning jars into lanterns? We bought 3, but need to find chimny's now. But, for those who tell you that you can burn veggie/olive oil in them? Be advised that if you're not using these lanterns consistently & keep them cleaned around the rims by disassembling them, you'll find yourself in the same mess we did yesterday when we unbagged ours. The oil had turned rancid and green and we like to never got the wick/lid's separated from the jars. They're very smoky too. We ended up throwing out the oil and the wicks, and I had to soak my jars in hot soapy water to get the "crud" off the rims etc. We'll stick to using standard, smokeless lantern oil and putting it back for emergency use. We can always stick a wick in a can of shortening :-) My convection oven bit the dust last week, so we had to step up to the line and buy another one. I use it soooo much, instead of heating up my big oven. Also, tweaking the preps at the Little House. Bought another bigger microwave for here (reconditioned and on sale!) and will take this one to Little House. Also taking the small dorm size frig to Little House. We normally only use it to keep beverages in. We'd need it there more than here if we had an emergency that required us to leave here and we didn't want to stay in our RV (even though it's fully self contained, we don't keep food in it during the winter/freezing etc.) and we have plenty of foods set aside at Little House to get us by for awhile :-) We've also talked about contacting the Habitat For Humanity people about letting us "work off" the money they're wanting for the vacant lot across the road from Little House (since the city won't allow ANY building on it other than a storage shed) so we could move our storage shed there and park our RV. Gonna be praying for God's grace & wisdom on that. Open doors or close them...that's fine with us. But, it seems like they're always wanting volunteers to help build their houses and Mountain Man is an extrememly skilled builder/carpenter etc.

Hope everyone is doing good. Finally starting to thaw out this afternoon, when I went to the store this morning the trees were still bent over with ice and sparkling as I drove thru the mountains. We survived not leaving the house for 5 days bc of ice luckily we only lost power for 3 hrs, we had enough food in the house but need to put things in boxes that will keep us entertained a bit and not let cabin fever set in too much. Not been on much too many Dr appts and crap going on. Please say a Prayer for Trenten (age 6) hes having a double hernia surgery tomorrow. Take care everyone.

Hope everyone is doing good. Finally starting to thaw out this afternoon, when I went to the store this morning the trees were still bent over with ice and sparkling as I drove thru the mountains. We survived not leaving the house for 5 days bc of ice luckily we only lost power for 3 hrs, we had enough food in the house but need to put things in boxes that will keep us entertained a bit and not let cabin fever set in too much. Not been on much too many Dr appts and crap going on. Please say a Prayer for Trenten (age 6) hes having a double hernia surgery tomorrow. Take care everyone.

post-9087-0-20056300-1386817647_thumb.jpg

SUNDAY: Got a "smidgeon" of snow Friday, but the streets were a mess so we stayed here & didn't work at the Little House. Just played downright lazy, except for a WM run to pay our cc's. Saturday, we drove to Little House and accomplish "alot"! Bathroom is now clear of the wire rack that was over the washer & dryer and the W&D are moved closer to the wall to allow for the new vanity, and we're thrilled that it fit excellently! Yeh! Also stationed the new medicine chest over the vanity and it also fit perfectly! Yeh! Scrubbed the floors and they look so good! Yeh! Now, MM will need to finish the ceramic tiling around the vanity & the toilet area and then hook up the plumbing for the vanity. That will pretty much finish the bathroom & we'll move in our new white cabinetry that we've had in storage for 3 years! Then...we'll patch & paint the master bedroom & hang a ceiling fan/light. Then...we'll "attack" the kitchen! LOL After we got home last night & were pulling into drive, my cell rang and it was some friends wanting us to join them at a new dance club that's just about 1/2 mile from LH! LOL So, they picked us up after we showered and we had a nice ending to a work day. Today? Made a run to WM to pickup some "squats" for my homemade taco sauce. I plan to give them as Christmas gifts along with a jar of cinnamon/apples, crocheted dish scrubbies and a small bag of cappachino. I've got 2 bags of apples, so I'll be taking baked apples to the family Christmas dinner the 22nd. Gonna let host's to be sure to have some ice cream to go on top of them when they get re-heated...I can already taste them! LOL Otherwise staying home today, MM's leg went into a severe charlie-horse and other than us doing the walking (which will help loosen the muscles) he's probably better off not squatting trying to do tile work or ???

MONDAY; we finally got the vacant lot negotiated down to what it's worth...now we'll be searching for the dollars to buy it. Praying Mountain Man will find more work. "Every need supplied" ... and that lot really is a need if we're to keep Little House as our landing place for our more senior years. We'll be looking at every way we can to save money too, and eating out of the pantry instead of shopping. Weather is really quite decent, and this week is supposed to be unseasonably warm. That usually only means we've got some "stuff" coming. Hoping the weather holds out for our family Christmas though, because we have to drive so far. About 5 years ago, it turned bad and when we tried to get into our vehicle all the doors were froze shut (sleet/ice) before we realized what it was doing outside. Finally managed to get front doors open, but not so with back ones. That storm front wasn't on the agenda!

• 3 weeks later...

New Year's Day 2014: WOW...another year has come and gone! Lots of stuff accomplished but alot of things not. Ya just can't git 'er all done! LOL This whole holiday season has been very peaceful for us. Spent alot of this year working on Little House and we're so pleased that we've finally gotten everything sorted out. After the break in last year, things were such a mess. All the totes we had boxed up were literally dumped throughout the house as they searched for ??? The only thing we found missing were our 2 metal detectors. But that was a costly loss because they were the good ones in their cases. Now that we've been "present" I think everybody knows who should and who shouldn't be there. The abandoned earth contact to one side of us has been totally remodeled and sold, as well as the three other little houses at the dead end of the street. I'll be glad to get Little House moved into and this one sold. We did get our energy report yesterday and it showed we had lowered our electricity by 20% from last year so that's good. Still, Little House's are about 1/4 of what they are here. Mountain Man put the solar box he built back into the LH kitchen window and will build another one for the livingroom window. I have a large picture window in the livingroom so I won't miss the smaller window. I'll paint the boxes white and then put some nice looking shelf liner or decals or ??? on them to make them attractive. Not going to get to do much camping this year since we're buying the small parcel of land across the road from Little House. Since we made the decision to make it our final home instead of the place Mom & son live in, we'll really need the additional space for our sheds and the travel trailer. It has a natural spring that runs across one corner so that's definitely a plus in a crisis situation. We'd have to boil & filter the water, but...it's there. Also want to get our eight rain barrels moved there and situated, some around the house, some around the sheds, and some across the road around those sheds etc. Also was able to buy a really nice ventless stove on a custom built rack, and we'll have that as a backup if the furnace electricity can't run. MM will put together a 'quick connect" to the furnace. Also want to find a small marine-type wood stove for the closed in porch, so we could keep warm if everything else failed. We've set aside several 30# propane tanks and two 100# tanks but one never knows how long power might be out. LH has a very efficient attic fan so by opening all the windows and starting the fan, we may not even need to use any of the window units. I don't want to put in central air, it's just too costly and you cool areas you really don't need to cool. We'll cool the master bedroom at night and the livingroom & kitchen during the day with the window units. "Regulated" air! LOL Both vehicles are now running pretty smoothly so hopefully this year they'll stay on the road without any major issues, just oil changes etc. Mother is doing fairly well dealing with the COPD, asthma & allergies, but I've started going over once a week to vacuume, clean bathroom, mop vinyls & do her laundry. I cut her hair every few weeks so she doesn't have to go to a beauty shop and be exposed to all the smells etc. Mountain Man's been blessed with some continued work, and hopefully that will continue. Every dollar helps!

:pray: There's snow falling outside, not sure how much we'll get but they say 2-4". It's mornings like in the morning that Philbe's glad she's retired :cheer: . Abby-girl is healthy and our 2 year old happy lab-brat. So, all considered, things are well in this household. We've got a long road of goals for 2014 and hopefully we'll be able to get them accomplished. :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

FRIDAY...rain most of the day, temp got up to 50 but we're not complaining one tiny little bit! Mountain Man put some more ceramic tile on the bathroom walls at Little House. We're going to do everything in the house very "neutral" and about the only actual color we'll see will be light tans etc. I'll do accents in color. I love to do that because I can change just about any time I get tired of a color etc. I really enjoy red & green fleece throws, christmas-type artificial flowers etc., during the holiday seasons. Then I get to change again for spring, then again for Easter, then again for summer, again for Thanksgiving and I've come just about full circle! LOL Mtn.Man says "you don't need a Christmas tree, the whole house looks like one!" (but I do need a little one!) LOL Been working our tails off at the homestead, putting together three new, heavy duty shelving units (like ours) in mother's extra bedroom (she saw pictures of ours) so she could make some sense out of all her canned goods etc. Plastic bag after plastic bag all over the floor, on the bed, in the closet, and flat after flat of canned goods shoved under the bed. So now this extra bedroom has been pretty much turned into a pantry. Still got sooo much more to do in there though. My hands & fingers have cardboard box cuts enough to give someone a transfusion (not really)...but very tender. Tomorrow Mtn.Man and I will be helping our like-minded friends move. He's been in a town quite away from his significant other and is moving closer. He'll still be close to his much needed medical facilities & doctors but still alot closer to all of us "like-minded" friends. Abby-girl hasn't taken off for any more of her 10:00 pm explorations. Raised our anxiety level to a 10 because it was so late at night & the temperature was -6 outside. She came back with a bloody paw so I grabbed the PetCo quickclot powder and boy does that stuff work wonders! Put her in her crate to let it dry good, but also for her to have a "time out" from being scolded by her mommy & daddy! Her crate is her "hidey hole" when she's in trouble! LOL If she can't get under the coffee table it's into her crate she runs! She absolutely loves Little House because it has a big yard and she can stretch out in a run, and around & around the house she goes! We'll put up a fence once we're there so she can enjoy the outside without being in a kennel. This house doesn't have a yard really, just enough room for her to do her daily duties for MM to pick up :-( LOL She's a BIG dog that's learned to live LITTLE! LOL The weather forecasters are calling for fairly warm weather for Sat & Sun, so maybe we'll get rid of the rest of the snow that's on the ground. Right now it's so slick that I had to put my "wires" on my hiking boots to keep me upright. When we pulled the truck into the driveway at Little House (it's a slope) it slid backwards so Mtn.Man had to go back out and pull it further up. Sprinkled some ice melt on it (even though it's gravel) so that will help some. It'll also kill off any grass or weeds that want to grow up into the gravel this spring. Our RV friend will be coming off the road sometime between February - April and we'll be trading my sport van for her Class B RV. We're all really excited about it, but we've both left our options open to change our minds. Later on, when we're able to save up some more dollars, we'll hunt around and find me a "little" car to rumble around town in etc. I'd love a convertible but their just not practical as far as I'm concerned, and I've seen what happens to them in a hail storm :-( I've often missed my Olds Cutlass Sport ... moon roof/sun roof combination. We took it to Texas when we first met & it was just like riding in a convertible when we slid the moon roof back. Hair going all whichy ways! LOL Oh well...I've rambled enough friends. Have a wonderful weekend & stay safe & warm (or cool?) wherever you may be!

FRIDAY...Mountain Man worked most of week, and we had intended to work some more on Little House. Ran our necessary errands, had lunch and then headed for Little House and a stop at the local library there. Went to Little House & MM let Abby-girl out to take a run in the yard while I went on in & turned on some lights etc., in preparation for him to start running some more ceramic tile in the bathroom. Seemed like quite a while but I just figured he was letting her run out all the energy she could. Finally, I heard her come bounding in the back door and went to greet MM and he nearly scared the pants off me! Was holding his hip & could barely walk & had a bloody nose! It seems big (not little) Abby-girl was running, made a direct charge at him and couldn't turn as quick as she probably thought she could, and hit him full on, on his left knee, literally knocking his leg out from under him, and he did a "face plant" in the yard. Said he instinctively put his hands out and ended up resting his face on the palms of hands. That's probably what kept him from breaking his glasses...or his nose! Naughty girl! So, no tile work. Loaded things up & drove back here, iced the knee, gave him some Ibuprofen, and drug out the heavy duty knee brace (locks into place when standing etc.) and he seems to be fairly comfy in his leather recliner watching some tv. Abby-girl is sleeping near my feet...as usual :-) Made another "haul" at two of our local thrift stores for 2 more winter coats for me, several more sweat shirts for me, a couple sweat shirt for MM and two nice pair of flannel lined lounging pants for MM...$50 for all of it! Always pays and saves to buy second hand (we call it recycled) when we can. Just like we don't often call our food "leftovers" ... we call it "2nd helpings"! Had 2nd helping of last nights speghetti tonight along with a fresh batch of garlic buns (I just stick hotdog buns in my toaster & add the seasoned butter) to make a very easy and quick meal. So far the deal is still good to go on the Class B van. We're truly looking forward to owning it. There's just times we like to go visit friends & family that are a distance away, but don't want to drive home late at night (I just don't drive at night, and MM's finding his sight not quite as good at night either) and taking "Miss B" will let us just park in their drive (or a WM) and come home in the morning. Also, can nearly always take Abby-girl and leave her inside & not leave her at home. We don't let her go into other people's home...she's too big and rambunctous. Probably should have taught her some better "doggy manners" but...guess we'll just take the blame (or credit?) and deal with it! LOL Weather has been pretty cold the past 2 days, even snowed a smidgin Wednesday night, but it just "blew away"? Thermometer on carport pole registered 23 this morning when I let Abby-girl out and I don't think it got over 34 today. When I went into Little House it was quite toasty (even though the furnace was only set at 55) and the solar box in the kitchen window's heat "flap" was blowing almost straight inward to the kitchen because it was such a sunny day (it's located in a south window) and was definitely contributing it's solar gain into the house. MM's still going to build another one for the southern window of the livingroom, but a little different design to see if it will generate even more heat. Had to make an 11:00pm run Wednesday night to take mother to hospital ER, said her left wrist was in so much pain she couldn't hardly stand it. We feared "heart" ... so we spent most of the evening in the ER waiting room (another time it would have been nice to have "Miss B"...we could have waited in much more comfort, even napped perhaps. They had our cell numbers and there's a parking lot right across the street from the ER. Yeppers...Miss B will be welcome!

SATURDAY: Stayed home today, let Mountain Man's knee have a rest. Wearing a soft knee brace now & taking Ibuprofen for pain, said it's feeling alot better. Dreary, windy day and even though the temp wasn't really "cold", the wind makes it feel colder than it really is. Took the time to wash & dry all the new sweat shirts & lounging pants we confiscated so cheap at two 2nd hand stores in our area. MM found two pair and I found one pair that are ski-type but flannel lined. Should be really nice for sitting around the house now that we've turned down the temp. Was truly surprised when I walked into Little House's kitchen yesterday and found it quite toasty inside due to the solar window box we have in the kitchen window. Didn't even need to turn the furnace up from it's 55 to 68 while we're working. But...wouldn't have mattered any who...with MM having a buggered up knee right now. Friends called & wanted to go dancing, but had to pass :-( We found a nice place about 1/4 mile from Little House so we'll be able to go just about any time we want instead of having to drive to other towns to find decent places. Bars aren't our thing. We like restaurants w/lounges & dance floors etc. and they're pretty hard to find. Just a different clientel. Been watching lots of youtube videos today. Sure don't miss cable/network tv at all!