MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TurtleMama

Probable Asperger's

Hey y'all.

I have missed you. I haven't been around a lot lately because I've been volunteering a LOT and trying to keep up with life in general. Know that you are all never far from my mind. I hope everyone is doing well.

This week we completed the testing for our 8-year old son to determine the source of some of the social/behavioral/learning problems he's been having for a few years now. I'm not too surprised to find out that the doctors' preliminary opinion is that he has Asperger's. I think I've known this since he was about 3 -- but we're going to KNOW now, and that will be a good thing. It's the first step toward having strategies to help him in every way we can. We get the official diagnosis on Wednesday.

I just felt moved tonight to ask for prayers for my DS. He's got a lot going through his precious mind right now and he's been having trouble with meltdowns and putting the pieces of what all this means for him together in a way that he understands. We're doing all we can to help him -- being totally honest and letting him know that this is NOT something bad, but just a way to understand why he is so awesome at "thinking outside the box." He was also determined to be gifted, and he swelled with pride when I told him that all his tests told us JUST how smart he is. :) My sweet boy. I'm glad for the answers, but no mother wants her child to have to overcome an obstacle beyond the many obstacles that are part and parcel of growing up.

I'd ask for your prayers for my boy, and for our family as we research and learn the ways to help him be happy now and throughout his life. I love him, and I just want him to be happy.

We have a 9 yo DGS with Asperger's. he is so smart and such a joy, and also a handful. Our prayers are with you for guidance and peace :pray:

Lord God, give this loving and concerned family the gift of extra insight for this son. Though Your Spirit, aid their challenge to guide him as he grows into maturity. Send them the knowledge through the experts and people who will lovingly help their son to maximize the positive in this....and minimize the difficulties. It helps sometimes, to understand that some difficulites are not behavioral-character issues but actual brain-processing issues. YOU love this son more than the parents could even imagine and have entrusted him with them. Support and love the whole family unit. :wub:

MtRider :amen:

My prayers are with you. I totally understand, my (about to be) 8 year old is an Aspie, too... just found out a few months ago. Very frustrating to not know, I felt it was more a relief to have a real explanation. Being that he had already been tested as gifted, the "odd" behavior was often embarrassing in public because I felt like people were looking at him, yet I had nothing to give them in exchange for a reason for it. For us, it was a relief. Now we are doing some occupational therapy for him, as well as counseling on personal space, emotion management, etc. Have you gotten a good doctor to help with all of this? It is a tricky maze to navigate.

Will definitely be praying for you. My 22 yr. old is an Aspie, but has other issues. My 10.5 yr. old son has classic autism.

Edited by MrsClaus

Oh my gosh! I had no idea that so many people here were dealing with Asperger's in their families. I'm with you, BugBoo...it's almost a relief to have a diagnosis that makes so much sense. All of the pieces of the puzzle are finally coming together now...his behaviors totally make sense because they're just him being himself!!! We're so used to it that there are things we don't really notice anymore, but since I've been researching Asperger's and what it entails, it's been like an epiphany -- like, "Yes! He does that! That's an Aspie thing!"

Right now we're trying to figure out if we should change schools for him. I was going to homeschool this year, but found a charter school that we sent them to -- it started out great, but he's been having a lot of issues with bullying, up to and including being kicked by the kid who was bullying not only him but most of his class, and the resources available at that school are not NEARLY as good as those available at the public school that is right across the street from us. It is a hard decision, because I want him to have the best education he can get but also want him to have the strategies that he needs to learn the most efficient way he can.

Thanks for your prayers. I can't tell you all how grateful I am for him. Having God in my sweet boy's corner, there is NOTHING that he can't overcome!

TurtleMama, do you have any of those cyber-charter schools in your state? If so, that may be an option you'd be interested in. It's not homeschooling, but you do have your son "at home" doing the work, checking in with a teacher periodically. That may be an option. I read that they have clubs and gatherings, so that would work if your son likes the interactions. I believe they tailor the work toward the needs of the child, so it may be a good fit for your son. I've looked in to a few awhile back, but homeschooling was the better option for us in my area.

:hug3: So sorry to hear about the bullying, when my son was little, he was in a christian school for grade K and after the "haircut" and "black eye" incidents he endured, we opted for public for the rest of k and then until grade 2 -- the bullying in grade 2 was horrendous, and we opted for staying home. The schools are not very good with dealing with bullying, imo. I am so sorry your son had to deal with that, it's so hard on the kids to have to deal with that day in and day out.

My friend at work has a son also dealing with this. He is in the third grade. She has struggled with him also, I know it is so hard. At the schools suggestion they took him to a child psychologist, who diagnosed him. She wanted to put him on a medication that helps him tremendously. Take it of a morning before school and it just helps him concentrate and be able to do things without such problems. She and the teachers can tell a big difference. It only lasts about 8 or so hrs., but he has been doing really well with it. I, like her, am not one for pills for kids, but this a very good decision. She still has problems, but it has helped him in lots of ways. You know I've heard people with this are very smart and can go on to be doctors, musicians, etc. I guess it just takes learning how to deal with it as you grow.

Good luck!

<3 I really value everyone's input and suggestions. Right now, we have decided to have him go back to the school he was at last year, because they have a lot of resources that could be so valuable for DS...but homeschooling is always an option down the road, if it is what we all feel would be best for him. He's been a bit quiet since the transition, but he's doing amazingly well. One good thing is that he is in the same class as one of his few real friends, so that has been a great boon for him. As far as the meds go -- I am supposing that your friend's child is on the medication for attention difficulties? They are often co-morbid with Asperger's, I've learned. At this point in time, we are not comfortable with the idea of any medications, but that's just us. Everyone needs to do what they feel comfortable with. :) It's just that we're hoping that soon, he'll be able to learn techniques and strategies that he can use throughout his life to help him manage the difficulties that the Asperger's brings. The good thing is that he's super-smart, and his doctor keeps on saying that he thinks he's going to be a phenomenal engineer one day, what with DS's interest in how things work and are put together, and his math skills. :) I figure he can be whatever he wants to be, as long as it's legal. LOL

So glad you've found the cause and thus have a whole package of information to help him. Adaptive techniques will work even better as he gains the maturity to enact them. Since he's a cherished son, he's got a good head start from many such children. :wub:

MtRider :pray:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.