MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

tamiflu vs oscillococcinum

ok i have been sick with I thought was a bad cold going in to broncites with low grade fever on and off, well the cough part is getting better went to dr today been sick since sunday he called me in tamiflu (not spelled right) to help but and a zpak antibiotic. I have oscillococcinum at home which I have took before and got well fast

I seen where a side affect os tamiflu is nausea and vomitting I dont need that

will oscillococcinum work the same

not sure if I posted this in the right place if it will work just the same

If my kids start getting wht i have i have childrens oscillococcinum for them

thanks for your help

I can't help you with one versus the other but I can tell you that DS1 was given tamiflu (last year, I think) and it was awful. I really am not sure if it helped him either. Praying for you to get better and the kids not to catch it.

My sister went in on Monday and found out she has the flu and lung infection and a kidney infection from the flu.

Sorry but I'm of absolutely no help here. Have you check online to the pharmaceutical company that makes both...they usually list the contrainadictions etc. Also, you'll probably find some pros and cons from different bloggers too.

Definitely oscillococcinum. A few years back dd had the flu and the dr prescribed tamiflu for all of us. It was $50 a pop and the pharmacist told me it MIGHT not work. I got the oscillococcinum instead and she felt better the next day. We've used it ever since with no side effects.

I think I'm getting the flu right now. I was cold and my stomach hurt last night. My friend that definitely has it said that's how he started. I took the oscillococcinum last night and went to bed. Today I'm just cold and achy. He took the tamiflu and it took a couple of days for him to feel better.

Ginger tea helps too. I posted on it the other day in the flu box post. To make it with ground ginger add 1/4 teaspoon to 8oz water and some honey to cut the bite (dark local is best).

I am confused. The flu is not an intestinal thing... it is cough, congestion, fever, etc. When I had the influenza I never had any stomach issues.

You're lucky! I always get stomach and intestinal distress...bad.

http://www.flu.gov/symptoms-treatment/symptoms/index.html#

What are the symptoms of the flu?

Flu symptoms include:

• A 100oF or higher fever or feeling feverish (not everyone with the flu has a fever)
  • A cough and/or sore throat
  • A runny or stuffy nose
  • Headaches and/or body aches
  • Chills
  • Fatigue
  • Nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhea (most common in children)

This is a common discrepancy..... GI symptoms with flu or not.

<_<

You can find verification on each side. :wacko:

Therefore, perhaps it is illogical to engage in the discussion cuz.....who cares? :lol: Actually, what I believe is that some people tend to react in ways just because their body has a predisposition for that. No matter if DH is getting a cold, flu, or other virus, his symptoms always begin with a head ache/stiff neck. [prolly from trying so very hard to insist that he is NOT sick]

Anyway, it's all supposed to be so scientific now, but when we were kids, anything that involved throwing up was CALLED "the flu". Might not have been influenza virus but there are many of us old enough to still say "hang up the phone". [when, of course, most of us click a button now]

=============

Back to the question: The oscillo stuff really seems to be an excellent general tonic that works for that whole range of symptoms. It is not based on a specific virus or a specific bacteria. For us, and many people we know, it is the first line of defense. It usually knocks the WHATEVER out. If there is something that is persistent, then we resort to the expense and side affects of an antibiotic or whatever. Any time one can avoid overuse of those...it's a good thing.

BUT...there are circumstances when you go right for the BIG GUNS....and hope you get the right Big Gun. Example was my choice to renew tetanus shot AND get the recommended antibiotics when I got a deep puncture wound in my palm. Since the enviroment was ---the goat pen (and the goat horn was the weapon of this mass destruction...my fault, not the goats] , I felt it would be a very good time to use the pharmaceutical form of medication.

Just my opinion and experience.

MtRider ---good luck and sorry you're feeling sick!

Edited by Mt_Rider
typo
I am confused. The flu is not an intestinal thing... it is cough, congestion, fever, etc. When I had the influenza I never had any stomach issues.

For me, personally, all the mucus that ends up running down the back of my throat ends up making my stomach hurt, whether it's a sinus infection, cold, or flu.

i am feeling better nose test said was flu dr said i was lucky since i did not have the throwing up diarreah and high fever i am glad i had what i did never took tamaflu did 2 does of the other thanks for all the replys