MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I saw this machine and thought about you. I know you ride horses for your MS and this is supposed to simulate the motion. Now, I don't know anything about MS and treatments so this may not be of any value to you at all!

If it worked...it would be a lot cheaper than a horse and a lot easier to care for. And you could use it any time day or night.

I know it's been a tough winter/spring where you are. Hope things get easier soon!

Except for the seat...this one got pretty good reviews.

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/82763?promo=search

Wow Jeeps...never seen something like that! I'm printing it out for MrWE2. I'm thinking that if we had something like that along with our inversion machine and our Wii, it would really be good :-) Now...to find places to put them :-(

................just saw this, Jeep! I've never seen this device but it has some potential. Wish there was some way to test-drive. At $250, it's a hefty price and not likely covered by Medicare. :rolleyes: But if it would have the same affect, it sure would be easier than keeping horses. I have a peanut-shaped exercise ball which can be straddled and bounced upon. Like those bouncy balls for tykes which have a handle for them to bounce on. That's what I feel like on it. But it's affect is greatly reduced from riding a horse. Only minimal on the peanut ball.

I'll look into the further tho. One comment mentioned a youtube vid which I'll try to find.

MtRider ...thanks for thinking of me! :hug3:

I saw the same machine on a different site and they were the same price. I thought the price was high too then I thought about the cost of buying a horse and feeding it. Of course, you have already the horses. Wish I knew someone who had one.

Maybe find a physical therapy place, YMCA or gym who could answer some questions or maybe even have a similar machine? I'm just thinking out loud.

When my son was little he had a 'Hippity Hop' similar to one of these:

http://www.sears.com/search=hop%20ball%20for%20adults

This one doesn't look as sturdy but it's only #30.00

http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Adult-Hopper-Hoppity-Hippity/dp/B00DFTWSV2

With the Hippity Hops you have to use your legs a little bit though.

:lol: Yeah, that was my reference. But mine is actually a sturdy one, used in physical therapy.....and the peanut shape lets you straddle it more securely...and you don't hop. Haven't used it in years.

DH and I watched a youtube with the device you first mentioned... and one called iHorse (I think). The action for the Hammacher one seems like it might be the correct therapeutic motion for me. But it might be too hard on my legs to activate the motion....depending on how much continued ooomph it would take. [When riding a horse I cannot ride one that requires frequent leg taps to keep the beast moving forward...fatigues legs; cancels out benefit]

However.... :wacko: when I watch the vid of the iHorse machine, the motion is quite different and is completely WRONG for me. Just watching a demo of it in motion about made me sick. It was the same as when I tried a treadmill device. I had the strong impression that it wouldn't work for me, even on SLOW setting. Oh MY! Within seconds I was collapsing onto the machine.... [The Jetsons, anyone?] Everyone helped me get off and onto the couch. My walking was completely messed up until I could get onto a horse for a reset. REALLY scrambled my brain in just a few seconds.

Riding the subway system in some airports [like Atlanta] REALLY gets to me too. I'm sitting in wheelchair and clinging to one of the poles. I warn my Disability Assistance person cuz I hang on and shut my eyes. Normally shutting eyes is not a good idea, like in car. But in this case, it's marginally better. ICK! Horrid sensation of drowning in space....completely cannot tell up from down. Can't tell where ME is! HATE those things! Giving me overload on senses and, like a carnival ride I unfortunately rode post-MS....is NOT good for me now. Used to like that sort of thing. :wacko:

This therapeutic and NOT therapeutic thing is so fine tuned and the oddest things are OK and Not. Scudding over the "washboards" on our gravel roads will destroy me! :imoksmiley::sassing: But great turbulence on an airplane feels good....the same reaction as trotting a horse. It's rough but it feels GOOD....neurologically! [hard to explain] Some horse gaits will destroy me and by now, I only need three minutes on a horse to assess it. My body will let me know quickly. Quarter horses are always ok....other breeds might or might not. Elephant was ok but didn't feel particularly therapeutic. [yes, I said "elephant" ] :lol:

Anyway, it's very expensive but....trying to ride is an exhausting procedure sometimes. Other times, it is a wonderful pastime and a Happy-Maker when I'm shut-in. Depends on weather, horse condition (still haven't tried to ride after the bad week she and I both had with the snow), and other factors. If I had plenty of money, I'd try this!

MtRider :sheep: .....just looking at that smilie gets me kinda neurologically dizzy...sort of a false sense that I need to grab for balance... :rolleyes: [now you know 99% more than you'll ever need about MS balance instability... LOL ]

Edited by Mt_Rider