MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Yard Critters

According to Wiki:

Armadillos are often used in the study of leprosy, since they, along with mangabey monkeys, rabbits and mice (on their footpads), are among the few known species that can contract the disease systemically. They are particularly susceptible due to their unusually low body temperature, which is hospitable to the leprosy bacterium,Mycobacterium leprae. (The leprosy bacterium is difficult to culture and armadillos have a body temperature of 34 °C (93 °F), similar to human skin.) Humans can acquire a leprosy infection from armadillos by handling them or consuming armadillo meat. Armadillos are a presumed vector and natural reservoir for the disease in Texas and Louisiana.[14] Prior to the arrival of Europeans in the late 15th century, leprosy was unknown in the New World. Given that armadillos are native to the New World, at some point they must have acquired the disease from humans.[14][15]

Humans can acquire a leprosy infection from armadillos by handling them or consuming armadillo meat.

Hmmm...does that answer my question about eating them.....or would it be safe if cooked well, like pork?

Not that we have any here....but a point of survival for some folks, someday. :shrug:

MtRider .... :lol: Ya just NEVER know what we'll be talking about here in Mrs.S..... :laughkick:

If I remember correctly, one is the classification or something??

Cute story (at least to me, because it'sa childhood memory). We had a Mercury Lynx when I was wee. Everytime I got in the car, I would ask "Daddy, how do you say that word??" Lynx was imprinted on the glove box. Every.Single.Time. I could never pronounce it :)

A bobcat is a lynx :)

In your region, perhaps you use the same term for the same animal. But a lynx is a somewhat endangered animal and the bobcats are plentiful. We have just rare sightings of lynx in CO. Much more likely to see bobcat.

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/mammals/bobcat-vs-lynx.htm

Part of it:

Furry Feline Fiasco

Unfortunately, the soft coats of both the lynx and the bobcat are prized possessions in the fur industry. While the bobcat population has managed to remain somewhat stable, the Canadian lynx is listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act, and the Spanish lynx might be one of the most endangered carnivores in Europe [source: San Diego Zoo].

Added: Ah...you are referring to this perhaps?

While bobcats and lynxes are separate species, they do belong to the same genus, which, coincidentally, happens to be the Lynx genus.

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider