MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

If this is so bad, WHY are planes even landing or leaving an area with an Ebola outbreak? I know people would want to be back home but the threat to the people here is so much worse. It doesn't take much to cause a problem or the medical people would not be sick.

So we have the facilities. What facilities that could not be provided there? What else do they have planned besides working on a vaccine? Of course, like someone said, we have such secure borders that we don't have to worry about anything spreading here. And if you believe that I have some ocean front property outside of Phoenix to sell you.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I talked to a surgical nurse at church yesterday. She was only aware of the doctor coming back to the States from her brother. He lives in Atlanta. When I asked her about Dr. Kent described in grave condition in Liberia and then able to walk (with assistance) into the Atlanta hospital she said, "it could have been severe dehydration and then the shutting down of his organs that caused this condition. IV's could have brought him back far enough for him to walk with assistance."

If that were the case, the staff would have known he was still weak & that ANY exertion would render him to the previous & worse condition. The whole thing is so hokey to me. Bringing them over? Safety? Containment. Let me tell you 101 things that could have (and still can) go seriosuly wrong with this situation. :/

I read in one article that he was given a dose of something experimental. [perhaps brought over with the rescue plane? He and the woman apparently are both willing to be guinea pigs to help save others. That flight is looong. If given IV fluids, it would have given some time for recovery.

And don't forget, he's a young man. Perhaps he just didn't want to be carted out on a stretcher. :shrug:

Or.....who knows.

MtRider :pray: for all with this terror..... :(

When the serum arrived in Africa, the doc. offered it to the nurse..But he took a turn for the worse. They gave him a dose, and found that they actually had enough for 2 doses, so both were given this. They said the doc. showed a big improvement within one hour. This is an experimental treatment, developed by a very tiny company..I think a group of 7, who are trying to fill a void and help people with diseases that no other company is interested in.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/us-ebola-patients-experimental-serum/story?id=24835127

Edited by mom11

I think the biggest thing that concerns me is that they keep saying how difficult it is to catch it....yet the doctor who treated the man on the airplane has it....how is it that medical people seem to be coming down with it if they're using the strict protocols to keep from getting it? If you're wearing those suits and still getting it?

A quick clip and interview of the pilot who volunteered to bring back the American patients. The report also mentioned that 50 more health care experts will be heading to Africa to help out with the epidemic.

https://gma.yahoo.com/pilot-says-honored-fly-nurse-ebola-back-us-050400740--abc-news-topstories.html

I hesitate to offer this link. I've followed the links within this story and it seems to be verifiable. :sigh:

http://urbansurvival.com/coping-the-ebola-mainstreammedia-lie/

I've never been really clear on what the difference is between transmission of disease thru bodily fluids and transmission of the disease thru aerosol droplets. Yes, I understand that aerosol droplets, to qualify, need to be able to 'hang' in the air a bit. But....is that not actually just tiny bits of sprayed-out bodily fluids?

There would be a time factor....how long the disease virus [or bacteria] can stay alive on a dry surface/wet surface/hot surface/cold surface...etc. All that will make a difference on how easily it's transmitted to others who come in contact with those surfaces. But what about simply breathing in the exhalations of an ill person? You take a breath just as the ill person sneezes?

This article does not definitively prove that Ebola is "airborne" to some extent. But....it does raise the question, for sure.

:yar: Edited to add that one of DH's MD websites is raising this same issue. Perhaps not completely "airborne" as we usually use the term. But TO SOME EXTENT. There is professional confusion as to how too many medical professionals are catching the disease when they should be the most careful of all. [obviously there is the lack of resources in remote areas yet....]

MtRider ....please think of this, NOT with accelerated anxiety .....but with accelerated planning and preparing. Put legs on your knowledge!

Edited by Mt_Rider
added

I'm accelerating EVERYTHING.....including my heart rate!!!!! I don't know that I have ever been THIS concerned before. I have been reading and researching ALOT since I decided to follow it on my blog. I am absolutely, positively going to do EVERYTHING I can to get as much as I can immediately! At the moment I am brainstorming where I can get the most for my money between Dollar Stores and Grocery and prioritizing my immediate needs. I'm looking for stuff that I can cook without water......my head is spinning

Don't forget to 1) pray......2) breathe.....

MtRider ...consumed with a couple of hurricanes in the Pacific right now... :unsure:

Yes indeed! And I see that....I'm praying for you while you endure this from a distance and them as they experience first hand.

:bighug2:

I am posting a few good articles on my facebook. So many fb friends don't have a clue. I hope they read and are careful, and don't do stupid stuff if this stuff does get going here in the US. With it taking the appearance at first of just a bad flu, to begin with , that would make anyone nervous. AS to the next affects.... yikes.

My neighborhood has very stupid people in it. I would vamoose to the woods i think for a period of time, so preps are important.

There is also a really unfortunate thing going on....just beginning. Apparently the malaria season is starting and with Ebola in the hospitals, folks don't want to go there. Even if they have malaria [or malaria relapse], they will hesitate to go to get the medical support they need due to fear of catching Ebola. :(

Then too, since beginning symptoms are similar, some will not go and tell themselves it's 'just malaria'..... :( :( :( Early medical support for Ebola seems to matter a great deal.

MtRider ....pray for the folks in the center of this :pray:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I haven't been around to weigh in on this topic, but one of my Facebook friends is a former reporter for our local newspaper and I got to know her fairly well from some reporting that she did for our nonprofit agency. She is a Liberian native and comes from a family of reporters in Monrovia. Until just a few days ago, she was there as she now does some international work. Her posts highlight some of the issues that Liberia has and she still has lots of good contacts for information. I haven't had a chance to read through all of the posts here, but there are a few answers to questions that I did see as I scanned this topic.

Hygiene- Liberia is an incredibly poor country that has suffered through a couple of civil wars in recent years. Their largest hospital is named after John F. Kennedy and located in Monrovia, the capital city. By our standards, we would describe the hospital as being a large clinic, based upon the services that they provide. Standard hygiene measures like disposable gloves aren't as readily available as they are in the US. The staff is being forced to wash and reuse the gloves as they go about caring for patients. Modern hospitals has access to all manner of anti-bacterial solutions with long lists of chemical ingredients and even longer lists of the types of germs that they kill. In Liberian hospitals and homes, they are using bleach in a bucket of water to try to stem the onslaught of Ebola. The second line of defense is a solution of bleach and water that is sprayed on surfaces to kill any Ebola virus that might be present. Bleach can be effective against Ebola, but it is growing scarce in Liberia.

Education- Liberia is not only very poor, but many of the people are uneducated. As an example, there current president is the one who mandated that there be a public education given to every child. (She's only been in office for a few years.) Most people in the country do not have running water or electricity. It is difficult to get the word out to far-flung people when you have few resources due to poverty. Additionally, many languages and dialects are spoken.There are lots of rumors going around that the disease doesn't really exist or that it is a curse from a witch. The saddest rumor that I've read is that many people believe that a particular kola plant can cure Ebola. As a result, many people stay home when they get ill and are treated with herbal remedies. This, in turn, becomes a death sentence for the rest of the family. One woman posted a photo of an Ebola kit that she'd put together. It has a pictures on it to show people how to use the supplies that she provides. Even with donations from friends and family via her Facebook solicitations, she has only been able to build around 10 or 20 kits. It isn't that she's pocketing the cash, but that the supplies are hard to find in a country that is living in fear of Ebola.

Quarantine- The concept of a quarantine is not quite understood or enforced, especially in areas where there are many poor people. They have no choice but to go out every day to earn money to shop at the local marketplace. They don't have the ability to stock up on groceries and then hunker down for days, weeks or months. The marketplaces themselves may be teeming with all sorts of disease on a good day, simply because there are so many people in attendance. With the threat of Ebola, even the food being sold in the market or hunted in the jungle may be tainted, as Ebola can be harbored in other animals. During this crisis, people are being told not to eat bush meat, which means that they are forced to mingle with other people in the marketplace top get food.

Disposal of Dead- Those with medical training are being called upon to help to nurse the sick, while those without training are often enlisted to retrieve the dead and dispose of the bodies. There have been dead bodies lying on the sides of roads for days, without anyone coming to retrieve them. The bodies themselves are weapons of mass destruction when it comes to spreading the disease. The people who pick up bodies are often ill-equipped and later succumb to the disease. There have been reports that some of the dead were buried near a wetland and near a community well. The less educated populations are running scared and have even chased away some of the burial workers because they don't want the bodies interred in an area where no one has yet caught Ebola.

Medical Personnel are so scarce in Liberia that there is one doctor for every 40,000 people.

Edited by themartianchick

I think the biggest thing that concerns me is that they keep saying how difficult it is to catch it....yet the doctor who treated the man on the airplane has it....how is it that medical people seem to be coming down with it if they're using the strict protocols to keep from getting it? If you're wearing those suits and still getting it?

Being forced to reuse gloves, etc... is driving the numbers up for medical personnel. When you add in the fact that they are also incredibly tired and overworked, it is easy for mistakes to be made. One example that was given on another forum as a good "skill" to have is the ability to remove a latex glove from our hand without coming into contact with the contaminated area. I should be pretty darn good at that with the types of chemicals that I have used on myself and my daughters over the years and I still manage to get a little hair dye or relaxer cream on my skin. Luckily for me, the stakes aren't as high as they are for the medical professionals fighting to save lives.

My friend also discussed how stressful all of this is for the people in her country. With the constant smell from handwashing in bleach water and the continuous spraying of walls and other surfaces with bleach, she said that she had a permanent headache and slight nausea that caused her to second-guess that she had the symptoms of Ebola.

Wow...Martian. Just wow. I had no idea that the hospitals in the major cities had such a problem getting resources. Makes you want to send cases of bleach and gloves over there right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If the US spends so much on benevolent aid to other countries, ARE they sending needed medical supplies and ARE those supplies getting to the intended places?

I've heard some of the rest of those points. The point about fatigue is very true. Should send all the medical people full Hazmat suits....but that might really freak out the folks who don't know what they are. The false rumors are just soooo sad. :(

All this does seem to support the statements about Ebola not being NEAR the threat here in US even if it got started here. Still don't want it started here, of course. But it's easy to see why they can't get a handle on it over in the poor and uneducated countries.

Anyone heard how the two Americans brought back to Emory hospital are doing?

MtRider :pray::(

Edited by Mt_Rider

deerslayer knows of missionary family that came back to TX who were with the doctor who was brought to Emory, not sure if they were getting sick or not, they are from nearby to where deerslayer lives . It was not a good thing. It is far too easy to get through our borders and airports. The problem with ebola is first symptoms are flu like, and people over look that alllllll the time. Foxnews just announced it WILL spread in US, and there is an official highest alert globally now, has been for a couple days at least. Without fear running, I do see where it may well spread here. I hope we catch it and can treat it. I sure understand the fatigue and lack of materials the medical personnel go through. This is partly due to economy, and then when you get long runs of pandemics, you have more issues. Like a chain reaction. I say just stay watchful and try to keep getting good intel. It is a major concern that it will or already is becoming airborne through mutations as virus's mutate. Ive heard its a govt plot etc too, but I can't worry about that. As to serums, which African nations have demanded, they were just going to start human trials but its iffy if it works well enough.

Right now its body fluids like vomit and blood that spread it. I say call for ems if you see people puking now. Im not touching em unless i know its from a drunk situation and I hope I dont see that either. If this take hold, I will vamoose. I have very stupid neighbors and peers . I will go do hermit routine out of town until its over. But for now its watch things develop. If you have leads to those who are in the know that is good.

I too feel badly for the Africans, its a horrible thing. We can only help so much.