MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

It's a good time of the year to check out library books on canning. I went to mine last Tuesday and all of theirs were on the shelf. I got all 9 of them and am going to go through them this weekend. Some of the pictures in them are beautiful. I might go to another branch tomorrow and pick up a couple that mine didn't have. I'm going to be out anyway. Another thing to check off of my 'to-do' list I've been putting off; getting my canning recipes all in order, printed out and put in a binder.

I would just say to be wary of any of the older books (pre-90's). Awhile back I got a newer book "Canning for a New Generation" by Liana Krissoff because I wanted to see how off she was from following the standard rules (hmmm, curiosity killed the cat). For myself only, since I'm an old fart and alone, I'm willing to soften the rules a little to try something new, but there are still items I would prefer to ignore. Others are okay. I personally wouldn't recommend it to the newbie but someone who truly knows safe from not should find it interesting.

I use Ball's and Setting Food By...by choice.

ps...if you're buying them, I'd think having a collection would be very interesting. You could compare what "used to be done" with what is "now done"....and what the differences are.

Edited by The WE2's

VERY true Canned Nerd...from one old fart to another! The dates of the book must be checked along with common sense. It is absolutely appalling the canning books being put out there today. Especially the E-books! I picked up a few more today at another library branch. I plan to go through them all this weekend to see if there is something I’ve missed out on. I just checked and Canning For a New Generation is at my library now. It must have been checked out when I was there. I LOVE our library system.

All of the ones I got are all from the 2000's:

Ball Complete Book Of Home Preserving 2006
Blue Ribbon Country Canning 2013
Can It! 2012
Canning & Preserving 2014
Canning And Preserving For Dummies 2009
Canning And Preserving Your Own Harvest 2009
Canning And Preserving 2010
Complete Idiot’s Guide to Preserving Food 2009
Everything Canning And Preserving 2009
How To Store Your Own Home-Grown Produce 2010
Idiot’s Guide To Canning & Preserving 2014