MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

1st Dive of the Season

:hi: Everyone!

Just got back from the water. Brrrrrrr cold. Well, at first, sort of. LOL We found a Wrangler jeans long sleeved shirt under a tree on the bank. (I know someone that would enjoy a new shirt.)

The air temperature was in the mid 80's with a few wispy clouds. I decided to do it, only to find out my wet suit shrunk! Not, it was me, I have at least 10 lbs. to loose. :icon19: After gearing up, wetsuit, hood, gloves, knife, mask and snorkel, I ventured knee deep. Whooot! Chilly. Sucked the air out of my lungs, numbed my face and shivered me to the core. And, that was just the first dunk in. :grinning-smiley-044:

After gathering my senses, I put my face in the water and began looking around. The usual garbage. Pulled out what I could reach without submerging myself. Then, it happened. Looking in about waist deep water I see a 'shinny' thing, the size of a ring, half buried in the sand. I took several deep breaths, trying to convince myself it was not that cold, and submerged myself completely in the water to reach it. Shucks!! It was a ice bag staple. Faked me out. hahaha.

Now that I was soaked and the water inside my wet suit was warming slightly, I began a detailed search of the area, fanning away the sand around big rocks and such. Nothing, not even any fish. Snails and some crayfish are multiplying, which is a very very good thing for the water. Littler farmers, cleaning their areas.

I let the current carry me back to DH and acquired my fins, in order to go down to the bottom in the deeper pools and swim across the current to the island. I did take a moment to get out of the water, then don my fins and back in I went.

The thermocline was about 4 foot down. (That's where the warmer top water sits on top of the colder lower water.) It was noticeable and quickly cooled the water inside of my wet suit. After checking the deep pool next to our "spot", I ventured across to the island. Not much in the water, some desert suckers, soda and beer cans and more snails. After diving about 25 feet in a few of the pools, I decided to return.

On my return, I found a bright florescent para-cord key thingy, and more desert suckers. By that time, however, I had already succumbed to hypothermia and needed to get out of the water. It took about 1/2 hour before full feeling returned to my fingers.

In other words, I had a great time today and my back is feeling much better. :happy0203: