MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Rope Chews

Be aware if you have rope type toys for your dog. A pup just ate one at the Service Dog Project...whole. They tried to get him to vomit using a few timed doses of peroxide but nothing happened. They had to rush him to the vet where they gave him morphine. I guess it was to relax the muscles. What ever it was for, little Gronk threw up the toy intact. If I see exactly which toy it was I was I'll post it. He is home now resting. Sheesh...kids. :0327:

Little man, you've had a busy day.

post-2492-0-41590100-1439690614_thumb.png

It was pretty tough watching. One of us 'camera people saw what was going on and called Carlene to go check it out. She brought him in the office area where we all could watch over him. Grace, the nurse, made him drink peroxide from a syringe 3-4 times. It seemed like it was about 5 minutes between doses. Nothing happened so off to Dr. George they went. I guess the morphine calmed the muscles down and relaxed his insides.

Someone mentioned the peroxide wasn't a new bottle so it might not have enough of the fizzies left in it. I don't know. That would have been pretty hard to see on camera. But it is a reminder to keep those bottles closed as long as you can and buy the smallest size you find.

Aof5, my dog did that once too. She ate a part of my sewing machine. I heard her yelling and found her trying to poop strings. I knew enough not to pull them out in case they were wrapped around her intestines. I just got the scissors and clipped them off and waited for the next round of pushing. Animal lovers are a special breed. :D

Lots and lots of eyes watch over these dogs day and night. And this time it was one of 'us' who called in the alert. He is only 5 months old but then again he is a Great Dane so he is bigger than most pups...a lot bigger!

We just found out Opal is pregnant. Doc saw at least 3 puppies. One lady had a date but they didn't seem to want to take their relationship further. Two more spent some time on 'Honeymoon Hill' so we are all hopeful...and making out shopping lists. They have been woefully short of puppies. And puppy Neil is due to arrive from the Netherlands (I think) in a week or two. Yeah, it's sort of like a reality show. Except this one isn't scripted and it's kept as PG as possible. My guilty pleasure. :blush:

Yeah and I don't have to walk or feed them or pay the vet bills. Of course I do miss out on the snuggle time.

Just a reminder that peroxide does lose its power so if you have a bottle or two (especially if its been opened) you might want to change it out every so often. Plus it's pretty cheap. I don't know how long it keeps unopened. I don't know how old the opened bottle was that they used but it did absolutely nothing to make the dog vomit and he got quite a few doses. He didn't even get a foamy mouth. By the way...a couple of volunteers brought in a few new bottles today.

I think so too. And this one had a knot tied in it. <_<

It looks like puppy Neil is coming sooner than expected. Hopefully he will arrive TOMORROW night. :hapydancsmil:

Yesterday one of the 'adult' dogs ate a whole box of Milk Bones...and some of the box...after supper. She didn't need any peroxide. Both ends were kept pretty busy. It really wasn't funny but we all watched and laughed anyway. She kept looking over her shoulder to see if anyone was coming. Her name is Ariot. Her name suits her well. Never a dull moment. :008Laughing:

post-2492-0-97188200-1439852421_thumb.png

post-2492-0-44395900-1439852445_thumb.png

:whistling: Some experienced folks might say......NEVER LEAVE A PUPPY UNATTENDED! Wooooeeee...the damage they can do!

Koa managed to chew up her body harness [chokes if the leash is on a neck collar] many...many...many....many times. Tho we'd take it off when she wasn't on the leash....mostly. Tricky lil' critters, those pups! :rolleyes:

MtRider :laughkick:

These pups are never left alone. Some volunteer stays with them 24/7 and it's all on camera. Sometimes it looks like no one is in there because there are recliners set up on the other side of the camera. That goes on until they are at least 3-4 months old. Even when they are sleeping they still watch them. And so do we. And Carlene's room is right around the corner in yelling distance. Still, they manage to get in plenty of trouble. I suppose it's hard to look at one of these dogs and think 'puppy' because they are so big.

Well, today it was Zeke's turn. He want to the beauty salon with Oscar for some away training. A Pit Bull dog got loose and scared the two boys. Zeke ran off and they couldn't find him. Those long legs traveled fast. They had the fire department and police department out looking for him. He was gone for 2 hours and it was 97 degrees. Police found him and put him in the back of the squad car. They girls came and doused him with water to cool him off. He has some minor scuffs and cuts on his pads but they had some meds for that back at the farm. Now he is laying on he futon in an air conditioned room watching TV. while Grace lays on the floor holding his little hand. Ariot has her foot in Grace' back to make sure she won't move. Pfffft. Such a dogs life.

post-2492-0-54073500-1439877076_thumb.png

I know! Critters and lil' kids.......it only takes a second for something to go wrong..no matter how hard ya try! Poor baby got scared by a Pit? Pits can be mellow and well trained.....or not.

I'll bet there is never a dull day at that place. :rolleyes: I know there is rarely a dull day here ...with just my few to keep track of.....and the wildlife, of course.

MtRider :wub:

Edited by Mt_Rider

AO5 honestly, I didn't take it that way! When I had my puppy I left her alone when I slept and showered went out for the mail etc. This place is on camera 24/7 so they have to be on guard all the time or suffer the wrath of someone looking to stir stuff up. Those Dane moms are so big that they can accidently crush a puppy in a second. It did happen once (was rescued in time) and that is the main reason the watch so carefully. Lesson learned.

:bighug2: