MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Oh What A Night

Jeepers

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a screen picture I got of four of them yesterday. I could just melt into a big puddle of mush when I see a puppy in those little training vests. They only had them on for a short while and were distracted by a spoon feeding snack.

There is also a short video of them romping on 'Puppy Hill'. The video is 7 minutes long but it doesn't get 'good' until about 2:10. There are 2 different groups shown. They are learning about the vest associated with something good. Each time one of the volunteers offers a spoon of food, she calls out a name so they are learning their name. Also, they are being taught, hopefully, to wait their turn and to not be food aggressive. Pretty tall order for a puppy just under 2 months old but it looks like they are learning the ropes pretty well.

post-2492-0-39573000-1446825393_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeepers

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT?

It looked like the Keystone Kops at breakfast this morning. The plan was to feed nine at a time. But when they all heard the blender whirring it was all over. The first 9 were doing pretty well until the second 9 found a breach in the their fence and decided to join in. Since a lot of them look alike they had to take a minute to get them all sorted out and make sure each one got fed. Momma Opal was no help at all and even took off a time or two. To be fair...they weren't all her kids. All the while the others were yelling for their breakfast in the other room too. Lunch time went a little bit better.

:lol: I love how those exercise pens can be configured to any way you need a barricade. I've got two of them and they are so useful...esp. for puppy age.

When a volunteer shift is over, do you think they go home 'seeing spots'?

MtRider :)

They probably see spots, count puppies, make sure they have 'poo pickers' in their pockets, count puppies again, wonder if they turned off the blender, wash-dry-fold fluffies, gave enough snacks-pats-kisses, count puppies again and on and on...in their sleep. :grinning-smiley-044:

• 4 weeks later...

1. New digs. Well about a year old but we finally got to see it go live today. One of the cameras in the house is now mobile. One of the volunteers, David, designed and made new condo's in one of the back rooms. Some of the adult dogs who live at the farm like to stay back there. Can't blame them. Older puppies have stayed there too. Their kitchen area is right behind the camera in another room.They have a doggy door that you can't see. Crimony, I wouldn't admit this to anyone else but their place is nicer and cleaner than mine.

2. And one of the little pups popped up to hello to the camera.

post-2492-0-56400700-1449380007_thumb.jpg

post-2492-0-83810800-1449380031_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of the recipients (MS) goes around to all of her local fire departments and trains the people who are first responders (ambulance and EMT's) how to handle their patients who have a service dog. Pretty important, but most people never think of that. By law, the trained dogs have to go in the ambulance with it's person if requested.

Lynn the lady, Willow the dog.

post-2492-0-22033500-1453349069_thumb.jpg

I've talked about this little boy before. He is a really great kid! He is the one that only wanted a robot vacuum cleaner for Christmas. We made sure it happened and then some. He is having major surgery in a week or two on his legs and feet. It will be a tough recovery time for him but he can do it with Wendy's help. Like Bella (they are friends) he has come such a long way. This week end he got to go to a Hockey game. He sent us a report of his night. :wub:

"These are pictures are from Saturday, when I went to a Portland Pirates game. The first few times the zamboni went by, Wendy had to watch! We both had lots of fun, after she was less nervous and protecting me and stopped sitting on me. Wendy also enjoyed watching the players in the tunnel from her down-stay. When the players were done warming up, they headed to the locker room to get dressed and we were blocking their way, so they jumped up on the seats to go by and said that's a big dog! She stayed warm with her coat and blanket on her and blanket layers under her. It was a great game and they won 3 to 1!"

Edited: Forgot pictures.

post-2492-0-22734500-1453351228_thumb.jpg

post-2492-0-37101900-1453351241_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeepers

Every year the people who watch the dogs on the computer (CP's = camera people) plan a party for all the staff and volunteers. Even the threat of snow storm Jonas couldn't keep most of them away. Dinner and DJ dancing and letting the hair down is always nice. Some of the kids didn't get to go because of the weather. We plan it after the holidays so more people can go. We are rethinking though. Maybe a little closer to springtime would be better suited for Mass. weather. :grinning-smiley-044:

post-2492-0-28671100-1453607620_thumb.jpg

The guy in the front left with the blue shirt is a real hoot. I think he has been there longer than anyone. He usually MC's and DJ's most events. He goes to SDP Sunday's and grills hotdogs and hamburgers for the "Sunday Stew". It's a potluck every Sunday and everyone and anyone is invited. He takes tons of pictures of all the dogs and posts them. He just got one of those little drone toys so we've been able to get a few aerial views of crazy acres. He owns Dart World in Mass. A really super nice guy.

Here are some of his photos:
https://servicedogproject.shutterfly.com/pictures

Are you guys getting tired of my doggy updates? Be honest. If I'm taking up too much time/space I'll stop. No harm...no foul. I'm trying to keep it in one thread.

I do have to tell you this though. Today Carlene was taking a couple of the dogs on a training trip. They were training for the subway. They have a handicap elevator there. When the door opened, Bentley (dog) walked in and started screaming and fell on his side. When Carlene rushed in she knew what was happening. They were both getting shocked from the elevator! Bentley latched on to both of Carlene's wrists and she dragged them both out of the electrified elevator with Bentley attached to her wrists. I imagine he weighs around 140-150 pounds. She had two dogs with her but Chaos (dog) wasn't hurt. Long story short, Carlene was taken to the hospital in an ambulance and spent about 3 hours getting both of her wrists and one knee bandaged up. They brought both dogs into the ER to be with her. She said her wrists were in pretty rough shape.

Now she has to take Bentley to the vet because electric shock can also cause neurogenic pulmonary edema. It's very serious so he has to go to Dr. George's for testing and will have to be closely monitored for a couple of days. Carlene is rushing him there now.

She seems to be okay right now. She was just on camera giving this update before leaving with Bentley. I'm sure she is running on adrenalin though. She is liable to collapse once it all sinks in. A couple of the volunteers are RN'S and are at her house now so at least she will be monitored. Prayers appreciated!