MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

I have a link for Kappy....the sweet potato farmer!  Did anyone here know sweet potato vines are edible/nutritious?  And if anyone has seen those monster vines, it would be good to get some edible use from them too.  This article came up on the Grow Network - Majory Wildcraft. 

https://thegrownetwork.com/sweet-potato-vines-antioxidant/

Brrrr..the wind is taking all the pretty "gold coins" off my early-turning aspen trees.  :(  But there are plenty of aspens still green or just turning.  Hoping our lowland family will get to see some of the golden aspens next week.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

We can only grow one round of spinach here because it gets so hot for so much of the year.  So I use sweet potato leaves instead. Except in salad, where they'd be too tough.

• Like 2

Jeepers, I use MyRadar too. It also shows fires.  

Continuing the topic of Sasame Scores:

DH turned on the TV, and DirecTV/ATT did an update. Except the update fried our receiver. I called them.  It took an half an hour to finally get a real person to talk to. She made me go through all the steps the automated system told me to do, again. She ran some tests on the system, then, put me on hold.  When she came back on the line, she wanted the model number of the receiver. While giving it to her, I noticed the date on our receiver.... 2009.  Yeah, it is a little old. She said they are replacing it and, no, they don’t want the old receiver back. Told me to recycle it or keep it. 

DH really wanted to watch his football games, so, I downloaded the app to his tablet, which we had to agree to another user agreement.....’anaylitical data will be sent, kept for a limited time’.....and..... ‘sent to their affiliates’....   How long is a ‘limited time’?   

After all that, company stopped by, putting an halt to house cleaning. I’ll finish tomorrow. 

There is a hurricane coming up the Baja.  Weather forecast says it headed right at us. It’s supposed to drop 2-4” of rain. I’m covering everything and securing the covers because they also warned of strong winds. Radar is showing the storm entering AZ already. 

• Sad 1

:o  Wow...Rosa had been Cat 3...4 but now a Cat1.  I missed seeing it sneaking up the coast.  Yes, sending tendrils of RAIN up there toward AZ....and it's still out to sea.  2-4"...yikes.  Got sandbags?  Put the chicken ladies in the penthouse?  It would help if it would soak in instead of run off into larger and larger streams.  :o  Stay safe in the next couple days.  Us Southwestern drivers don't do hydroplaning well. 

I assume CO will feel some of that since the tropical storm/depression aspect will continue north.  We could use SOME rain but I'd hope to not be dealing with our driveway again.  It would test the newly dug configuration of water-diversion canals....  I had certainly PLANNED to get out there with a shovel and put some finishing touches on the bobcat's work.  BUT I'm confined to bed with ZERO ENERGY...SPINNING HEAD....SEVERE WEAKNESS.  :gaah: 

Adrenaline DOES override Fall Fatigue somewhat....but I can't over-use the adrenaline either.  I'm saving it for the upcoming reunion with my kids.  So....I'm stuck!  Hmph!  And despite Internet and eBooks...I'm bordering on getting bored

I'm never bored!  Things to do; places to go; things to research!  :pc_coffee:    I made my way down the stairs this morning to fetch more eggs for breakfast...and barely made it back up with Koa's tugging.  DH came up from feeding in time to carry the eggs and give me the dog.  Had to go lay down for 20 min. before breakfast-making could commence.  Hmph!  I have to feed tonite.....  :pray:  

:tapfoot:  and I keep falling asleep while on computer!  :tapfoot:

MtRider   <_<

• Like 1

The hens have a penthouse and enjoy their roosts nearly 6’ off the ground. 

Hopefully, the trench I dug last time will keep the water from pooling in the yard. 

It’s lightly overcast, nothing to worry about, right now. Maybe it will miss us. 

• Like 2

It’s lightly raining, thankfully no downpours. Quite refreshing actually. It’s like a breath of fresh air. 

Today’s ToDo includes, monthly book work, maybe do some shopping, if the washes aren’t flowing.  If, I have time, maybe get the curtain Travis rod installed, maybe do some sewing, definitely not going to waste my time and clean floors, the boys have already made me glad I didn’t get them done Saturday.

Puppy paw prints ? ? ? ? ? ? 

I cried today. Son cried today. No one else cried today though.

Two year old grandson had his first day of preschool today.

He's never been away from mom, dad and grandparents before and never been to day care. He walked in like he owned the place and never shed a tear. Teacher said he did just fine and rolled with the flow and caused no problems. Mom and other grandma kept a stiff upper lip. Son and I bawled like babies on the phone last night and again today.  :sad-smiley-012:

He's so little to be starting school. I thought I had another year or two. I know it's the best thing for him but it's killing me.

He really needs to be around other kids. He has no brothers or sisters or cousins and mom and dad are older and all of their friends children are already teens or over. It will be better than sitting in the house with a 70 year old grandma everyday. She is a real jewel and a sweet lady but he needs some peers. He goes 4 days a week for 4 hours a day. It costs darn near as much as college but D-ex is going to pay for it so... We can teach him what he needs to learn but we can't socialize him. We are all to old. We can't even wrangle up play dates without looking like pre-verts.  :008Laughing: 

They have chickens at this place.  :wub:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

((((Grma Jeepers)))))

It rained lightly here today.  Ole Rosa is making her rainy self known all the way up here.  Good tho....dampen down the DUST and choking on the road.  Also, we've had several small wildfires.... 

MtRider  ....how's AZ doing by now, Annarchy?  Your doggie dears wearing their hip waders yet?  Then they could take them off at the door... :D

• Haha 1

Good morning everyone.  

It’s been a nice light rain off and on. The heart of Rosa was making land fall last night. This morning it looks to be moving up central AZ, headed your way Mt_Rider. Of course, the humidity has skyrocketed.  All the plants and trees are green again. Grrr runs, as best as he can, does his duty, and heads straight for the door to go back in. Gunny won’t go out if it’s raining. He checks every time we open the door. 

Didn’t get much done yesterday. ‘Best laid plans..’. Today, I hope to finish the book work, then get some chores done. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Had to do the walmart trip yesterday morning and it was cheaper than expected. Yay! Did laundry and ran dishwasher Sunday, (dishwasher gets run every other month if I'm not canning). Got DH on the train yesterday afternoon, came home and watched some tv. Today, I will be making peanut butter cookies most of the day, some with sugar and some without. This afternoon is the Night Out festival with the local Police Dept. Our Church hands out baked goods and water, so the goats may go to bed a little later than normal. Will probably clean out the pantry, since I will be in the kitchen anyway.

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 1

It sounds like you have such an active community, Miki.  Fun!

So Rosa is sitting on Baja...fizzling out?  Well I'd rather not get loads of rain on our lovely golden aspens.  They are always so quick to disappear.....and then comes   :frozen:  WINTER :frozen: .  The problem with cloudy weather is that it drops our warm temperatures....  :frozen:  We've had snow on the mountain peaks around here already, of course.  Snows...melts...repeat.    It was raining this morning when DH and Koa went out to feed.  She doesn't mind the rain...thick double coat and all.  But of course it's not so pleasant when she comes in wet.  Designated doggie towel near both doors.  She loves to be loved on/dried off.  :lol:  {always give them the narrative you want them to hear}

I was shocked to see that H.Walaka was briefly a Cat.5 hurricane yesterday.  That make it Number 7 in all of recorded history [since 1950].  H. Lane a few wks ago was Number 6.  What's with this season???  It's Cat4 today and is going well around Hawaii...if it behaves itself!  The Atlantic has a storm system [Leslie] doing the polka out there.  Amusing to see it's track on the Doppler Radar.  Doesn't appear to be going anywhere.  Keeping my eye on H.Sergio.

MtRider ....might be feeling slightly better...after ALL THIS RESTING/RECOVERING....Hurricane watching....  :unsure: 

• Like 1

Mt Rider, I do  know sweet potato vines are edible - in fact they are absolutely DEEEEEELICIOUS!  I grew a vine back is Wis one winter and was eating on it to keep it pruned.  Cooked the leaves and leaf stems separately due to texture differences and they tasted like a cross between asparagus & edible podded peas to me.  Then DISASTER struck!  The cats discovered how yummy those vines were and ate them all the way back to the sweet potatoes!  Then they dug up the potatoes and nibbled on them before playing kick the can with the rooted potato nuggets all over the house!  I was rather disappointed, but could not help but laugh as well.  (I should have known my greens loving cats would have a field day.) Nonetheless, those vines were delicious, and I love to tell the little old ladies buying sweet potatoes at the store to try the vines too, if they like greens.  Down here in GA greens are appreciated, and several ladies have flagged me down in the grocery to tell me they tried those vines; and also found them yummy.  They are lots easier to grow for bean sprouts when you need veggies in the dead of winter, too.  

Last night I was reading a 'no food waste' post ; it talked about using the 'other ' parts of plants, but nothing new for me...I've always eaten the leaves of celery, broccoli, and other cruciferous veggies, beet greens, broccoli stems, and after my experiment, sweet potato vine tips.  Zucchini stems were a new idea but you have to peel the tough skin off them.  I cant see peeling those flimsy things, with my arthritic hands squishing them before I got them peeled.  But I did go back and re-locate my "secondary edible parts" list and update it, just for fun.  I think I'll try okra leaves next year when I can pick them nice and young.  I'm wondering if they would taste like the pods, or different?

Mary is home from the Carolinas, bone tired.  She is so appreciative of getting some home cooked meals (ham and scalloped potatoes au gratin with green beans & biscuits, and you would think it was champagne and caviar!).  Nobody cooked much the week they were there - just what we call "bachelor cooking".  Scarfing a ham sandwich on a 30 min lunch break with coffee does not nourish the body much, and the spirit not at all.  She ate 'chunky chicken noodle soup that she had taken along, and mac & cheese one of the men made (it was spicy, she said she was glad we had anticipated that and she had taken her ulcer meds along.  She was watching out for Don (her partner for the trip) & rubbing his legs at night so the pain in them would subside enough to sleep.  She said they worked well as a team, each watching out for the other, and taking breaks as needed to prevent injury.  They got a lot done, working 12 hour days.  She took photos of the huge mess and told me that the TV people were good taking water/flood footage, but neglected the far greater wind damage from the hurricane.  Needless to say she is glad to be home.  While she was gone I went on a cleaning spree, which is rare for me.  I even scrubbed floors, walls, doors, everything I could reach.  So at least she did not come home to a mess, but a pine-sol scented clean house.  She loved it after the mess she had been dealing with.  

Today we planted the transplants I bought.  The seller told me he had to twist his suppliers' arm to get autumn transplants, but once they got there they sold like hotcakes!  They are much nicer than the "bonnie best' brand we see all over the place.  Much stouter and healthier;  worth the price.  The seeds we put in are also coming up, so we will have a rotation of winter veggies - broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, beets, carrots, lettuce & radishes, and collards.  I am already, in my more compulsive moments, making a chart/plan of when to start transplants so we can double crop next year.  That way we can purchase extra seeds we may need before they disappear from the local stores.  We are having good luck with 'leftover' seeds, some as old as 3 years, BUT brassica always did stay viable much longer than, say, onion seeds.  I seem to recall from an old seed saving booklet they last under good conditions, six years, if you sow a little thicker to make up for slightly reduced viability.  Another bit of odd knowledge I have picked up over the years....along with how to do a germination test.  I always was a science nerd/geek, now I'm a garden geek!  (LOL) That is all we did for chores, though.  We are taking a week for her to recover, before we go full-tilt into our woodlot management plan again.  Then we will ease into the "burning the branches and small brushy stuff" part, now that we can get a burn permit again (October thru March here).   We're done with the "upper yard".  Next is making an access to the "lower ravine" and surveying that to decide what we want to do down there.  The deer are moving around - its deer season around here.  Glad the garden is fenced!!!

Edited by kappydell

At the risk of getting “bombed” I have been picking up walnuts.

Not because I like them but I do not like unexpected rolling objects to throw me down should I step on them.

A long needed chore of removing the gutter screen from around the base of the chicken house was accomplished . It was soft enough animals pushed through it but as long as I had the chickens they could not go under there.

I am weary of waiting, perhaps I have not been waiting but if someone says they want to buy this place I want to see action. I know I had to have a chance for this hip to heal which it is doing ever so much better now, but I have done all for this place I want to do.

I am not a rocking chair person. And with nothing to do..I am liable to sink into despair or worse.

I want a little farm so I can have a few rabbits, a few chickens, maybe a goat or two,

and a garden. I am not even asking for much of a house! But I would rather die with my boots on than live worthlessly.

• Like 2

Glad Chainsaw Mary is home safe and a lot of clearing was done.  Y'all are so ambitious!  Take some more pics of this season's gardens, if you get the chance.  Love seeing them. 

Yikes, Twilight.  Walnuts would be worse than the rather squishy pine cones that I pick up for the same reason.  They roll down the very steep eastern hill and into the horse shed area.  Being proactive is mandatory when the results of a fall can be so severe!  Do you have one of these so you don't have to bend over?  I remember them from childhood in Iowa.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roll-A-Nut-Nut-Gatherer/22580609?wmlspartner=wlpa&amp;selectedSellerId=1194&amp;adid=22222222227026741958&amp;wl0=&amp;wl1=g&amp;wl2=c&amp;wl3=52587362895&amp;wl4=pla-79658889135&amp;wl5=9028981&amp;wl6=&amp;wl7=&amp;wl8=&amp;wl9=pla&amp;wl10=112550058&amp;wl11=online&amp;wl12=22580609&amp;wl13=&amp;veh=sem&amp;gclid=Cj0KCQjw0dHdBRDEARIsAHjZYYAg-RD3Sxt87w_cxHz-gmdUSYAgGdcvQEu7ZtgR884Cgh2bfcPrB4EaAnIpEALw_wcB

I'm watching our weather forecast...did y'all know the jet stream is going to be dipping down VERY low in the next few days?  DD2 is trying to figure out what to pack for our variable autumn weather.  I'm digging out all our winter wear to see if we have enough for them not to bring their boots, at least.   GrSons wouldn't mind snow... :rolleyes:

MtRider...pray I feel better.. :pray: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

:hug3: Twilight.  Hang in there hun. I know how it is. I waited for over 2 years to buy a house. I looked online every. single. day. Sometimes twice a day. I wasn't particular either. I settled for a better yard over a perfect house. It will be a struggle getting rid of this albatross . But, we can do it can't we?! It will be worth it in the end. There is plenty of support here if you start to get 'down' (I go there too) and need a little lifting up.

We Got This.jpg

Mt. Rider, praying for your health and energy too!!!!  :hug3:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I remember the first (AND ONLY) time I gathered black walnuts. I hate those things. M-I-L and F-I-L scoped out a tree near me. Woo-Hoo, free walnuts! All I had to do was go gather them up. M-I-L said to put one between your two feet and mash them to remove the hulls. So I did. I ruined my shoes and the black walnut juice badly stained my feet. Badly. I'm not a girly-girl so I didn't really mind. Except two days later I had an appointment with my OB/GYN. No amount of soaking could remove those stains from my feet in time. I couldn't even think up a plausible lie. I wasn't smart enough to keep my socks on. When they said 'from the waist down' I obey! I was only in my 20's. Early 20's. D-Ex thought it was hilarious. Ex for a reason???

I left them on the window ledges to dry. I would find little wormie things the next mornings. They had burrowed a perfectly little round hole in some of the nuts. From the inside out. Ugh.

And cracking the nuts open. We lived in an apartment and I had to take them outside in the parking lot and hammer them open. Even with a hammer they rarely cooperated. They would slip out from under the hammer and I'd have to chase them down. Those things are like cement. Then you'd have to use a nut picker to mash the nut meat out of the two halves. That is if you are lucky to get a half. The constant hammering usually netted a totally smashed shell. Did I mention the shells are like cement? The shells make your hands filthy too. Dried black walnut juice dried on.

I can remember my M-I-L and F-I-L sitting in front of the TV, talking and sipping coffee in the winter "picking" nuts. They never mistook a piece of the inside of the walnut shell for a nut meat. They are often too close in color to tell the difference. Sometimes a quick nibble is the only way to tell the difference. Those little inner shells can be a sudden surprise in a piece of banana walnut bread. Just sayin'... 

I finally got enough to put in the freezer. They still went rancid in about 6 months. I love English walnuts. Black walnuts are from the devil.

Sometimes free food isn't all it's 'cracked' up to be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I assure you I have no like for black walnuts. They are not meant for bad backs. On the farm there were two trees but they were not a lot of trouble. These trees shed branches about like some dogs shed hair. It has been an almost daily task picking them up. The taste is ok in cooking, but I had rather buy the few shelled ones I want!

This is the first year I have seen the maggots in the husk, so that is the reason the squirrels have left them mostly alone. They are smart little buggers.

I think I remember my Grandma running over them on the carport with her car to crack them.  I love the taste, but not cracking them.

Busy day for me today. Hit 10,000 steps at 3:30pm. Walked this morning, animal chores, cleaned out my closet, cleaned out linen closet, went to Dollar Tree for frozen fruit but truck was delayed so maybe go back tomorrow. Dropped off 3 big bags at a thrift store from my cleaning foray. Got home and did more animal chores, made and ate my last chicken burger, hung some matted photos I took years ago, on the walls and did what little Fall decorating outside that I do. Now I intend to watch tv for awhile with my favorite pups, drink my 2nd smoothie and go to bed. Good and productive day!

• Like 1

DH has company coming later.  I'll be serving dinner.  Green chili chicken enchiladas, beans & rice.  His friend made a successful sour dough starter and he's going to bring some for us.

Last week, the gardener scalped the yard and planted winter rye.

Dealing with an ailing ferret.  I don't think she has much time left in this world.  She doesn't want to get up to eat, so, every two hours, she gets a bowl of 'duck soup'.  High protein juice with softened ground food.  *Sigh*  This is the only part of loving the fur balls that is the worst.

It's raining off and on, and cold... 60*   Brrrrr.... for this heat loving desert dweller.

Beans are on, chicken is almost ready to be shredded, and I have a batch of dough rising for cinnamon rolls rising.  I doubt the oven is going to heat the house too much.  lol

• Like 2

I'm sorry your fur baby is ailing, Annarchy. Seems like you went through this not too long ago. It's so hard on the heart I know all too well. HUGS!

We have had rain and storms all weekend. Kinda cozy actually. 

I think I got all of my quilting fabric packed up. Sheesh. I know I sort of panicked when I got divorced and bought a big stash to have in case I needed it for extra income but I think I went overboard. I got three pretty big totes full. Hope I don't find any more in the spare bedroom. I also got a trash bag full to donate. I'm not sure the Salvation Army wants it or not. If not I'll take it to Amish country and give it to an Amish lady I know. Each church district makes quilts for charity auctions every year so I'm sure they can use it.

Scaling back ain't easy. If you think a move is in your future...start pitching now! I have more books to go through. UGH. 

Edited by Jeepers
I hate typing on Kindle!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry about your ferret, Annarchy!  I hope she feels a little better quickly.  I hate that part of life.  

I hope your "pitching party" goes well, Jeepers!  I'm doing some of that this week while DH is gone as I do not want his input.  LOL

Today started our revival.  A few of us served a meal to the visiting pastor and music folks after the service tonight.  I love getting to serve in this capacity!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Annarchy said:

This is the only part of loving the fur balls that is the worst.

That's the truth!!!  (((Annarchy))))

8 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Scaling back ain't easy. If you think a move is in your future...start pitching now!

Yanno.....that just gives me the shudders!!!  :behindsofa: 

3 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

I'm doing some of that this week while DH is gone as I do not want his input.  LOL

:lol:   Don't you dare tell my DH that technique!  :rolleyes:

MtRider  .....see what I've got going in Streams, please.  :(  :pray: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Preparing today for a hurricane hit (not much to do, we are usually already prepped as a matter of course). But we did move our generators to the carport so they would not get rained on; staged our heavy duty electrical cords to run power to critical systems; staging our other power-outage items in reachable but not trip-able places.  Washing clothes and doing other water-and electricity-using chores ahead of time and filling our containers just in case.  Charging our battery powered items and our solar lights so we are good to go if needed.  Secured our yard stuff.  Picked up extra veggie transplants for the fall/winter garden, in case our garden gets drowned out.  And of course I made home made bread - it makes things much more civilized when the going gets tough.  All is in place, now we just sit and watch events unfold.  Here power outages are common, and the road has washed out in times past, according to neighbors, and it is our sole access road.  Que sera, sera.

We dug ginormous sweet potatoes when preparing our fall/winter garden.  Took some to my doc when I went in - she was delighted, said just One was enough for an entire meal (yep, they were that big),  Dug the carrots too.  Pulled the tomato vines, pretty spent.  Left the peppers, they are still blooming, and our 2nd planting of snap beans is starting to produce.  (Sigh) I hope we don't get drowned out with the storm.  We'd rather plant our spare transplants (cabbage, broccoli and lettuce) as 'extras'.  Fortunately we should have time to re-seed the kale if needed.

• Like 3

Cleaned out the medicine closet yesterday and that was about it for productivity! This morning, I am making cookies to serve after Church tonight. It's youth night and the last night of the revival. May do some eBay today in between baking and serving. Tomorrow, I have to go to Walmart for a few things and Dollar Tree for frozen fruit, then pick up DH at the train station. Glad he will be home and glad I got as much done as I did while he was gone!

I hope the hurricane winds down some by the time you get it, Kappy!  I know you're ready either way, but less clean up work afterwards is always better!

• Like 3