MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Awful wretched day.  <_<   My computer will not work in FIREFOX browser.  EVERYTHING is done thru that browser for all my computers.  I don't know....don't care to know....any other browser.  Avast has been trying to intrude for a couple months now.  Auto loads and I keep deleting.  :gaah:  Now I have to use it cuz Firefox isn't loading anything.  :gaah:  :gaah:  :gaah:     I have no patience with inanimate objects that don't do what they're designed to do.  

Not feeling that good cognitively so the last thing I need is to be looking up passwords and NEW WAYS AND MEANS.  My brain feels like it's on fire from trying to THINK!   Still haven't figured out how to get into my ymail account.  Used DH's computer this morning....which already has yahoo account and just have to switch from his to mine and back.  I got on here and onto Pam's free email books.  After just 'clicking one button and go' for so many years....I don't know how to get to my usual sites.  :imoksmiley:  

15 hours ago, Annarchy said:

I guess, as often as it happens, we need to be consciously aware to be careful, and not fall, right?

While not falling is a VERY wise goal, it won't prevent a good percentage of broken hips in elderly.  I don't know the percentage but many are "Break then Fall"......not "Fall then Break".  Such was the case with my mom.  They're quite sure the break of the hip bone CAUSED her fall.  Just an odd point of information.  When its gonna happen, it will happen.  Then some folks need surgery cuz the hip joint is giving them so much pain/non-function....like my friend my age.  

....AND I HATE MICE!  Are they even eating the poison in my bedroom???  At least they could be QUIET!  :motz_6:    They wake me up at nite with their CRUNCHING in areas that don't have the poison.  DH says:  Those are not nice mice.  They don't even kill themselves well. 

Riiiight?  

MtRider  :mad:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 3

I hear you about computers. I have a love/hate relationship with mine. It is so  S L O W. I want to throw it out the window most days. It's an old Windows 7 but I like it because I've learned how to do what I want. No more no less. And I'm still on Internet Explorer for the same reason. I'm going to have to break down soon and get a new one. Especially since Microsoft isn't going to deal with Windows 7 now. The Nerve. 

One of the best things I did was to transfer everything on to an external hard drive AND on to a thumb drive thingy. All of my "favorite" websites are parked there too. I have a bunch and they would be lost if the computer completely died. And I have had to reinstall them a couple of times. User error.  Sigh. Only issue is remembering to update all of my redundancies. 

Passwords...I has em. And my memory is not keeping up with technology. I do what you're not supposed to do. I keep them on the computer external devices. I know... I know. I typed them all out in a Word document and mislabeled it on purpose and hid it inside a folder inside another folder. I also printed them out and keep the copy in my lock box...which is stowed in a closet with the key IN the lock so I don't lose it. (I lied AGAIN about the closet but, unfortunately, the rest is true.) Now all I have to do is remember what I titled it and which two folders it's in. Uh-huh. Maybe I need to rethink...ya think?  Nanny!!!

Mice! Ugh. I hate meeces to pieces. Dirty rodents with their beady little eyes and skin tails. At least squirrel rodents have the decency to cover their tail with fur. And bunny rodents have fluffy little cotton tails...awww. Chipmunks are kinda cute with their little hands holding their food. But those skin tailed rodents have got to go. I get the shivers just thinking about that tail. Possum tails give me the creeps too. I have issues. Ya think...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

:amen:    I'm in a much better mood today.....tho provisionally, I'm afraid.  :shrug:    I was fooling around with FireFox and quite accidentally stumbled onto a ....[oh phooey, what was it called?]  .... :scratchhead:   Well, something about FIXING.  So it did it's searching thing and then it asked me to test it.  I saw something about Win8.........?  I have Win10.   Incompatible program...somehow.  :shrug:  But it did work.  I'm having to sign in on all my sites again.  I did that last nite with the Avast browser. 

:amen:   ....I just checked and my Bookmarks are there...intact.  Good!  :amen:  

I've just been quite tired  :0327:  and don't wish to go thru all this hooha.  But I guess I'm not running the planet so........ 

MtRider   :pc_coffee:      Nanny!  Shall I put in our Help Wanted ad, Jeepers?  :buttercup: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3

Ambergris.....you're on the edge of whatever develops from that LOW in the gulf?  Looks like it will head towards Louisiana tho?  Assume you and yours are taking precautions already since the H. Season is here....     Anyone else? 

MtRider    :pray: 

• Like 1

This low is a weird one.  They are not supposed to come out of the north like this.  It might become Barry, but if so it will be Houston's problem.  Maybe Louisiana's.  Past me, anyway, unless it doubles back like  I have a friend in Lake Charles, which is just a little closer to Houston than to New Orleans.  She spent a few weeks in a church parking lot with her kids and dog after Rita, when they weren't letting anyone come home.  I'd told her to ship her dog to me by Greyhound (you could do that then) but time was short, and you don't take chances with a good old dog.

• Like 2

We keep DE around too.  For the garden and for the perimeters of the houses.  It's great for ants etc...until it rains...then we have to re-dust.  I put a lid full of grits on the side of the kitchen sink.  Heard these pesky things take it back to their nest.  I've only seen a couple hunting around since I put it there...maybe it works?  I heard that it did so that's why I put it out.  Got tired of looking at "flocks" around the sugar and borax.  

• Like 3

All three of us suffered through the 3 days of fireworks.  Abby has become absolutely petrified of them...and was almost unmanageable.  Hubby laid down on the living room floor so she could lay beside him if she wanted...no to that.  Every time one went off (even a small one) she went wacky.  I sat in my chair and she put her head in my lap and promptly slobbered all over me in her anxiety, and then another would fire off.  She followed me to the bathroom and tried to hid behind the toilet, wanted in the shower with me, and finally we had to just ignore her.  She finally found a place under hubby's knees while he was on the computer and went to sleep.  The jerks were firing off much larger ones than they're supposed to, but we couldn't tell where from.  Sounded like across the street from us.  Now even when it thunders she starts in.  We have had to just ignore her.  That seems to have helped more than anything.  It's so strange really because when she was a puppy, hubby would take her out in the yard during storms and play with her ... and she wasn't a bit afraid until this past 2 or 3 years.  Aging?  Ears more sensitive?  

Did take her in for her 3-year rabbies and other shots as well as heart worm and flea & tick.  Soaked up a bit pan of oats and flattened them out in baggies an they're in the freezer for her snacks etc.  Vet said she's healthy except she has a small fracture in one back tooth...so no more hard chewies.  We'll just let her have her "greenie ball" periodically.

• Sad 1

Monday I washed and bleached all the trays and mesh liners on my dehydrator, and mixed up a batch of granola.  Got 6 trays and that ended up being two nice sized gallon baggies.  They're in the freezer so we'll have it ready when the current batches run out.  I added pecan bits and dried cranberries to it after they were cooled down.

• Like 2

Poor Abby. Another reason I don't like them in neighborhoods. Honestly, some of them sound like bombs around here. Muffin used to do the same thing. I used to get on the floor with her too. No go. She would just drool and pace. Ohio has a strange fireworks law. You can buy as many as you want and all kinds. But it's illegal to fire them off. What do they think people are going to do with them. Put them in a china cabinet on display. Stupid. I wish they were banned except for maybe the professional ones. Maybe. But the people who live around those suffer too.

:soapbox:  On

I don't understand how people can be so selfish and disregard other people's feelings. From the animals, veterans, elderly, sick people who might already be confused and little children. :soapbox:  Off

They say that thunder shirts for a dog is supposed to work. They calm a dog down somehow. I have no experience with them. If I had to do it all over again I'd get tranquilizers from a vet for the fourth. That's how we got her from Indiana to Ohio. She slept in the backseat the entire 5 1/2 hours. It made it easier on all of us but especially her. She often got car sick if she was in the car for more than a half hour. 

it's so hard to ignore them when they are in distress. BTDT. But that really is the best thing to do. When they see you doing out of the ordinary things like getting on the floor with them or staying in their face trying to calm them down, they think something is really wrong. Especially if mom and dad are acting strange or scared. They pick up that something is wrong...other than the noise. I couldn't do it though.

If they can get in their cozy crate that sometimes helps. Especially if you cover three side of it with a towel or sheet. It gives the impression of a den. Best to do that way before hand so they can get used to it. Not the best time to introduce something new. 

It could be her age. Muff was almost 14 and the vet said she was becoming confused. Actually, he did use the dementia word.  Sigh. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We2, you might want to look into Rescue Remedy drops for Abby.    Years ago, it helped my dog with fireworks and thunder.   Not a complete fix, but it helped. 

Rain, rain, go away.    The farmers here are really struggling.   :pray:  The cornfields are :sad-smiley-012:  I am also noticing there's not the local produce stands and local produce in the stores that is usually here now, like tomatoes, zuchinni, green peppers,  ect.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Today I got out the dehydrator and cranked it up.  Harvested veggies are trying to take over the kitchen, and with Walmart having food shortages, I ain't wasting ANYTHING.  

I cut up a mixing bowl of sliced sweet Italian peppers and they are drying now, while I cook up, peel & seed the half bushel of squash we have already picked from our 2 vines.  Tomorrow it goes on fruit leather sheets to be dried down, then ground into "squash powder".  I am the only one that likes squash, and prefer it mashed, so the powder is perfect.  Just add water and you have instant squashed squash.  Then it is on to okra, it is just cranking up.  We dug potatoes, they are curing in the shade now (had creamed new potatoes last night).  Picked the last of the zucchini weeks ago when squash borers got the vines, but not before I got sound ground zucchini in the freezer for zucchini bread!  Replanted that spot with carrots.  Surprisingly the snap beans are still producing steadily, if not in large amounts.  We did try the oriental yard-long beans - I liked them, M did not (did not like the dry, firm texture).  Glad we got enough to try, because they seem to  be aphid magnets.  Not sure if moving the pot they are in to a different location will help or not.  they are leaving the nearby pots alone, but I imagine they do not care for jalapeno peppers or rosemary.  At least they are munching on the beans, not my camellias!  

Our AC is still out, but we are managing with portable ACs (I wanted some that did not hang out of the window and tempt light fingered passers by to break in - not that our neighborhood has had trouble, but in any future case scenarios).  The portable ones work thru the screen on a window, and access is much harder in the smaller open area.  Plus you can remove the intake vent quickly & lock the window if leaving home; not to mention they also contain de-humidifiers which can be used independently of the AC.  I just like the versatility and lower profile of them.  We will have to get the AC fixed of course, as it is a heat and AC central unit, but it is still on warranty.  We just need to save up for the service charges & any coolant as those things are not covered by warranty.  

We cut up the large oak that the tree man felled (good deal, we would not have known how to keep it from falling on the house!) into 5 foot logs for our crafting friends.  Sunday we were rolling them into the more open meadow-like area (we are calling it the bee meadow, it is earmarked for hives in the future) so they will dry nicely.  It was amusing to see our friends' 20 yr old children struggle with moving them although they are big strapping young men.  Then we showed them how we had moved some, using a lever and fulcrum for MUCH easier rolling. I guess they don't teach practical stuff like levers in elementary science class anymore.  Too bad, the  6 'basic machines' (Lever.  Wheel & axle.  Pulley.  Inclined Plane.  Wedge.  Screw.)  magnify muscle power tremendously.  That how us old crippled-up women roll...smart, not hard! 

We2s - there is a way to tie a long sash around a dog to simulate a thunder shirt.  I used an ace bandage, and it worked amazingly - instant calm dog.   

image.jpeg.8c021050450198a2fa655c158720ed48.jpeg  its called an "anxiety wrap"  and how to tie one is on   barkpost.com/answers/diy-anxiety-wrap/

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
20 hours ago, Jeepers said:

tranquilizers

I've done a lot of research and it seems that Valerian is safe for dogs, just not in mega doses.  I'm out of her "anxiety" treats so I'll have to make up some more...and just add a bit more of the Valerian so I don't have to give her 3 or 4 at a time.  She loves them and I gave her 3 the first night but that's all I had and didn't have the additional research behind me to know I could use it directly in doses for her size.  The vet said I could use diphenhydramine...but for her size it would take 10-15 caps...not.  

• Like 1

Just regular daily chore and life stuff for the past few days. Yesterday, went to thrift stores, VA clinic, picked up copy of my lab work at my docs, and then Walmart for a few things. Did some eBay photos and then Church for women's Bible Study.  Filled up some gallon jugs with water before the tropical storm hits. We are about 100 miles inland but that doesn't mean the electric and water won't go out.

Today, made some veggie soup in the slow cooker.

• Like 1

Kappydell, your garden results sounds bountifully blessed.  Congrats. 

Mine, however, has been growing, but the results would leave us starving. Of course our temperature yesterday was 113*, it’s been above 110 here, all week. 

3’ x 8’ area of fava beans produced a handful of pods, hopefully enough to replant next year, and now they look like dried weeds with some greenery at ground level.  I’m leaving them in until the monsoon rains, hoping they might grow again and produce more.  The 2 butternut squash plants are vining and popping flowers daily, but no fruit.  Radish seeds were a bust. Not one seed, just stalks and empty pods, the birds may have helped themselves.  The mung beans produced 1/8 cup of seeds.  I’m hoping the plants that haven’t dried up in the heat, will continue to produce. The tomatillo plants are 3-4’ high & wide, growing really well, but, only 1 tomatillo out of the whole area.  The tomato and jalapeño plants are growing, 1 tomato, the ants devoured as soon as it turned orange, the hens enjoyed it.  A bored grackle pulled up all my garlic, which had begun to wither & dry in the heat, the bulbs are now in a pot in the kitchen. I’m thinking of digging up some of the spices, pot them and grow them in the house. Even the mint is dying in the heat.  (My water bill is higher than the electric.)

Gunny had issues with the fireworks, Grrr taught him that. :buttercup:  He was fine the first year, until he saw Grrr freaking out.  I saw a video on line, this dog was watching the fireworks from an open window. He looked excited, glancing back at his master, as if to say, ‘did you see that one..’. The title to the video was, ‘the only dog who LOVES fireworks ‘.  

Due to the heat, we got Gunny a small wading pool, thinking it would be just the right size for him.  We had to put him in it, to show him it was his to play with.  It took about an half hour before he finally realized it, then, the fun began. He ran full tilt, several times, around the yard, then jumped in it.  Ummm... he barely fit in it.  

OOTO, our WM seemed normal, but we never have a large variety of fresh produce.  Avocados are around $1.00 a piece, due to the tariffs.  Corn is 3/$1.00. It might be because we are closer to CA and the corn fields are doing well here.

Miki, your regular day sounds busy.  :thumbs:

Here’s Gunny and his play pool...  

1D6C9E6E-8EBC-448B-82C8-ED33B49D9DD6.jpeg

E24AB4CB-6FFB-4A92-A863-6DBEA80086D2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

OH!  I LOVE THOSE PICS!  That is SOOOOOO CUTE, Annarchy!  I'm sitting here trying not to laugh out loud cuz DH is sleeping but :coffeescreen:    Thanks for the laugh!!  Your little sweetie will be much safer/happier in your outrageous heat!  :wacko: 

Right now at midnight, we're 49* outside:frozen: 

Annarchy, DID they ever get your wildfire contained?  Is it out....doubt that....?

OK...it's been quite a day with the fire on Maui and my dad trying get ready for:

1) gastro-endo-something-ologist appt next Fri.   They've arranged for the Senior Van to bring them.  :cheer:  VERY good idea.  They want me along to remember ......  uh, maybe?   He's still anemic...not sure he's taking iron pills.  Had transfusion a year ago.  Might get another one.  :shrug: 

2)  arrival of the new dryer [Tues] so new venting has to be in place.  Did I tell you that a prairie dog DIED in the vent pipe of their dryer....got in, slid down the dryer vent pipe and died at the bottom....eventually.  EEEewwww!  They're big.  Thus the need for an entirely new system.  That was an old dryer so they decided to get that new too. 

And my mom trying to keep his thots on track....  He's kinda in a perpetual angry panic.  Wore her out today! 

While I was getting all anxious reading today's news about Maui's wildfire  :runcirclsmiley2:.....I catch movement at the end of my bed [which is where I'm on computer].  EEEEEEEEEEEP!   A MOUSE GOT. ON. MY. BED!!!!!!!    :motz_6:   Is that box with the poison block working?  They're chewing on it.  Well, I added a mouse sticky board right next to the green poison box.  This. Is. War.      :darthduck:

MtRider  ....some days are ....difficult!  :offtobed:    ....mumbling dire threats to mice roommates.....  

• Like 1

Annarchy, DID they ever get your wildfire contained?  Is it out....doubt that....?

Not yet...

EA9DD376-1FF0-4BA7-A9FC-2F5F935C127C.jpeg

055C2E4A-1BF4-4049-B496-C21BD505FC5C.jpeg

That info was from July 4th... they haven’t updated the site since, that I know of.

Edited by Annarchy
Update info...
  • Like 1

Oh that Gunny! What a sight that must be. Made me laugh out loud. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Really brightened my day. :008Laughing:

A mouse on the bed!?!? That's getting way too cozy. I think I would have passed out. Maybe a BB gun or pistol from Wal-Mart for in the house use would help? I'd probably shoot up the walls and furniture before I got the mouse though. 

And a prairie dog in the dryer? Yep, I believe it. I had a squirrel get in mine. Except he lived in my basement for awhile. I didn't know it was down there. Good thing too. I'm not sure what I would have done. It ate some insulation and died. I went to do laundry and saw a tail hanging down. Shudder.

Big news here is I think I'm getting a UTI. I haven't had that pleasure in years. I'm off to the store to get some milk. If I can catch it on time, that seems to help. Must be an acidic thing with me. Will get some cranberry juice too. I can barely choke that stuff down though. I'm allergic to most all antibiotics so I'm hoping the milk will do the trick. I'm craving watermelon so that should help flush out the pipes. Sigh. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Catching up while I watch Molly B's Polka Party on TV.  Down here, polkas are NOT a common music genre, so I have to tune in to get my fix of German/Swiss/Czech music.  I do enjoy the old fashioned bluegrass though - I like music from the heart, and with all the recording tricks they use on so much music, it seems, well....canned....like Muzak or something.  Gimme that old timey, folksy stuff and my toes start tapping.  I wish I could yodel, I'd join right in!  I don't hear much of that oldies western music anymore either, and I grew up on "the sons of the pioneers" and such.  Yodeling cowboys are a little out of place nowdays, LOL.  When I'm in the car I have my sirius channels set so I can listen & sing along as I drive.  I still know all the words to all those oldies.  I enjoy songs that are uplifting and happy - I get tired of songs that are sad or obsessed with "hooking up" as they call it nowdays.  Nary a word about true love, families, or faith...all those things that make life worthwhile.  No wonder the suicide rate is in the rafters.  I guess I'm just old fashioned.

The garden is still kicking, though we are now on hot weather mode in terms of what is producing.  Sweet potatoes, melons, okra, tomatoes are going crazy, as long as we water a LOT, almost daily.  Those wicking planters we made (M didn't think they would work, I think she was humoring me when we made them) are WONDERFUL!  People driving past stop and tell us our flowers are gorgeous, and we only have to top up the pots every 5 days or so.  We are sold on them, next year we will make more, as we replace our totes (here they go on sale in early winter) the old ones will make good wick-pots.   I'll be transplanting my herbs to them, for one thing.  I lost the aphid battle for the Oriental beans, but not before I got some to cook up and taste.  I like them, M does not - she does not like the drier texture they have (she likes her beans cooked soft, the orientals are closer to al-dente, if there is such a thing in beans.  Next experiment is leaf amaranth - I have two kinds to try.  One is good raw or cooked, one is cooked only.  
And it is getting time to start seeds for autumn transplants - I have a perfect nursery spot, gets AM sun only.  Easier on the lil' sprouts.  

This hot weather is making our dogs grumpy - they bicker with one another, much like little kids.  Some days we feel like we are referees.  

• Like 4

Lotta territory, Annarchy.  :(  Human cause, right?  Bad enough with lightning strikes but carelessness....  :mad:  

Yes....Jeepers, the prairie dog was over a foot long.  :sigh:   Like we need more trauma and drama to set off my dad?  :pray:  

And my MOUSE.....  Well, instead of waiting for the poison to have some effect, I duct taped a mouse glue board down right next to the poison block device.  Since I hear it/them there all the time.  I was reading for a while and then I heard big rustle noise.  :happy0203:   Get on my bed, will ya?  It was so stuck, even it's face was stuck.  So I yanked duct tape loose ...this is 2AM, mind you....with a pliers and dropped it over the edge of the porch outside.  ....it wasn't  there this morning.  :scratchhead:  So we're kinda looking for a fox with a glue board stuck to his face.....  :buttercup:   One down; how many to go????

Just heard from DD2.  All is quiet on Maui today.  A few smoldering hot spots that they either put out or are watching.  Fire personnel are probably catching some sleep.  Everyone is marveling about wildfire on a dry, crispy tropical island.  :unsure: 

We got several hours worth of rain...very steady and lots.  Mixed with small bit hail.  Our temperature was an unbelievable 94* and with that storm it dropped.  Right now it's 54*.  We had zero problems with water erosion.  THAT IS SO COOL!  All these years we'd have to battle where the water was going and how it was damaging things.  Now....no worries.  Coulda done that 20 yrs ago!

MtRider  :pc_coffee:     Hope you get rid of infection, Jeepers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1