MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

This is soooo backwards!  Y'all are getting our normal.  While we did dip to -5 last nite, today's sunshine popped it back up to just-barely 40* today.  It's been doing this all fall/winter.  For a week, our lows in late Dec were in the low 20's or high teens. 

Lovely year for us....tho we get the WINDS. 

MtRider  ....yet not able to do much despite the extraordinary weather.  :imoksmiley: 

We made it up to 34 today and is supposed to be 12 tonight without the wind chill.  We got a couple of ceramic space heaters to supplement the central unit.  We turned that way down and use the little heaters in the room we are in.  The central unit started making strange and unusual sounds last night so we got right on it today with the space heaters.  If the central breaks, it won't be fixed anytime soon.

Made jambalaya for dinner and that's about it for the day!  Happy New Year to all!!!

• Like 1

I’m sitting here reading and thinking, “...it’s ‘shut-in’ season for the north... our season hits us around May and lasts until September.... scrambling to prevent the outside temps from coming in and trying to keep the internal temperature regulated....”. IDK which is worse, heating bills or cooling bills.

We are using our heater a lot this year. When we dropped to the 20’s, our floor got cold and hasn’t warmed up since. The ferrets are staying in their hammocks or on their lamb skins. Even the pups are spending most of their time on their beds. 

We were able to open the windows yesterday and air the house out, it felt excellent!  The Spring cleaning bug has hit me. Sooooo much to do.....  :rolleyes:

Today, however, I have to pay bills, begin the annual bookkeeping, take the rollout dumpsters out for pickup, tie a couple of yard debris bundles for tomorrow’s pickup, rotate the water bottles for Sparkletts, refill the chicken feed and water, and, if I have time, go to the store for water hose ends to expand the sprinkler system to cover the whole yard. 

Time for me to get to it. I hope everyone has a blessed day. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Daylily said:

Did anyone start a goals/projects thread like some of you were talking about?

I am hoping one of the moderators will as they will know best where to put it in the topics.  Please!

• Like 1

Sifting through insurance companies.  Found one that does manufactured homes, Florida homes, homes over 10 yrs old, and homes out in the boonies.  But they rejected me because I have four ducks.  Ducks.  They're not even specially trained attack ducks.  

Also, the land is apparently zoned Commercial.  I need to look into this, as there are conflicting reports.  Commercial is much more valuable, should I want to sell it, but harder to insure.

Also, we're looking at freezing temps and possible sleet/snow tonight and tomorrow.  I'm wondering whether my avocado and more delicate citrus will survive.  Everything is supposed to be hardy down to about 26 degrees, if not rather colder, but that's theory--the wind is not interested in theories.

Ducks.  They turned me down for DUCKS?

• Confused 3

It must not be ALFAC insurance....  the ones with the duck in their ad

I am tired of it being cold.  We do have cold spells here every winter but they usually only last for a day or two.  This one has been for a week.  I dread my heating bill.

Today we have no big plans but there are plenty of small indoor jobs (like cleaning and organizing) to be done inside.  Maybe DH or I could get inspired to tackle some of them.

Edited by Momo
spelling
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Sifting through insurance companies.  Found one that does manufactured homes, Florida homes, homes over 10 yrs old, and homes out in the boonies.  But they rejected me because I have four ducks.  Ducks.  They're not even specially trained attack ducks.  

Also, the land is apparently zoned Commercial.  I need to look into this, as there are conflicting reports.  Commercial is much more valuable, should I want to sell it, but harder to insure.

Also, we're looking at freezing temps and possible sleet/snow tonight and tomorrow.  I'm wondering whether my avocado and more delicate citrus will survive.  Everything is supposed to be hardy down to about 26 degrees, if not rather colder, but that's theory--the wind is not interested in theories.

Ducks.  They turned me down for DUCKS?

FYI - only warm blooded animals are affected by windchill. Your trees should only be affected by the actual low temps. You may have to trim off some of the dead branches, but shouldn't lose the trees themselves. Depending on the type of tree, the fruit spurs for this coming year may also be damaged.  Stay warm!!    :happy0203:

• Like 1
20 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

I am hoping one of the moderators will as they will know best where to put it in the topics.  Please!

Well darn Miki. I was waiting for you to start it because it is your idea and I didn't want to step on any toes. I wanted you to start it because you know what you had in mind. I have been making my list to post though. Go ahead and start it either in this forum or the Sun Porch forum. Really anyplace will be fine. It can always be moved. I'll start it if you are really uncomfortable doing it. It's a good idea!  :hug3:

• Like 1

We are still freezing here. The high was 9 degrees today. I went out to start the mower and it's deader than a doornail. I just went out and started it 3 days ago. I'm not going to even mess with it until the temp gets up in the 40's. I'll buy a new battery if I have to. I feel about messing with a battery abut the same way I do electricity; I don't like it. I'm just making sure I keep the Jeep going everyday for now. I don't have AAA because son was always close by. Sigh.

• Sad 1

Brrrrrrrr.... I hear the cold is going to stay with you all for a while. :frozen:

We had a lot of wind yesterday, with temps in the mid 70’s. This morning it was only 60 and cloudy.  By sun up most of the clouds were gone. We even had to turn the AC  on again. Harrumph. 

• Confused 1

Tax season opened on the 2nd so I've spent the week learning my new office. My kids are going to have to re-learn how to stay on top of their schoolwork when mom isn't breathing down their necks, lol. They did a great job last year, so I'm not worried about them. And this year DD18 has her driver's license, which is a huge help. 

Our weather since Christmas has been typical temps for winter in our area (30s low, 40s high) but unusually dry. Yesterday was the first measurable rain in two weeks? Last year we had a moat around our house by this point. (No, really. I have pictures. Our house is a high point on a property with serious drainage issues. We had a moat.) DH put in a drainage system this fall and WANTS rain so he can test it, and... no rain! Everyone caught in this extra-cold winter weather... I'm so sorry. My sis-in-law had to make a trip to Iowa this week and is pretty much frozen solid by now, I think. :frozen:

Other than that, it's business as usual. DD4 and DD13 spent one afternoon this week poring through one of the seed catalogues we got in the mail. I came home to an already-planned-out garden. B) I did have to point out that I wasn't sure we could get cotton candy seeds. DD4 had them on her list and nothing that DD13 said was convincing the younger one that those aren't a thing. Her logic was "there's cotton seeds in the catalogue, so OBVIOUSLY there will be cotton CANDY seeds too!" :24:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Can you grow feijoa there?  The petals taste something like cotton candy.

Hmmm! Maybe! It looks like it prefers zones 8-11, and my area is considered 7 to 7b. It'd be a little tricky but should be doable, if I gave it some extra care in cold temps...

• Like 1

We need a happy dance emoji!  Mary e-mailed the original movers we had asking about her bed, and they found it!  I found the urns (whew! ) along with my safe and the firearms!  Now all we are waiting for is the carport to go in, with the storage part at the back.  We are putting things away in the house, still lots of boxes but starting to feel like home at last

Mary was out blowing leaves and found some interesting things on the property - looks like we may also have a well on site, as well as that little creek in the back.  There is also some plastic tubing with electrical wires in it, something was hooked up there at one time.  Its kinda like redneck archaeology as we figure out who had what on the property before us.  We already know we have two water hookup locations, one for each lot we bought.  The exploration continues....

• Like 7
12 hours ago, kappydell said:

We need a happy dance emoji!  Mary e-mailed the original movers we had asking about her bed, and they found it!  I found the urns (whew! ) along with my safe and the firearms!  Now all we are waiting for is the carport to go in, with the storage part at the back. 

:hapydancsmil: :cele: :cheer: That's awesome!!

Wow, Kappy!  That is sounding MUCH better than earlier reports.  {um....how do they lose a bed?}  :unsure:  I'll bet you're both breathing easier!

Redneck archeology.... :lol:  But a well would be quite an interesting find!  :bev:  Are they legal at this point of zoning?  If not...well, some things just need to be left unsaid.  ;)

Sooooo glad things are going better!

MtRider  :amen: 

here wells are ok; id just have to get it checked out and hooked up again.  maybe on our to do list, as our present funds are rather deflated right now.  we are still lookin for the money tree we were told was around.....tomorrow the phone calling starts anew....check on my authorization for treatment....check to see of Fleetwood got a work order for our address (they have to fix a ceiling crack)...did my Christmas gift order that never arrived get resent?...ah, sweet mysteries of life!

• Like 1

We had the "artic bomb" last couple of weeks :-(  Nights were 19 below and days about 0 ...if we were lucky.  The battery on the truck died, so Mr took it back to WM since it was only 2 years in to a 3 year warranty.  They wouldn't warranty it...said "it was a replacement battery for one that failed 3 years ago"! After he sat for 4 hours waiting for "his turn"!  Grrrrr...so, we're telling everybody we know...DO NOT BUY BATTERIES FROM WALMART!  Then, to add insult to injury, the furnace went out while he was there, so I had to call the furnace company.  Good thing we've done business with them for years, they came within 4 hours.  Glad I had the EdenPur on and my long johns! LOL  Abby-girl laid her miss-self down in her fleece blanket and stayed warm too! LOL  They put a temporary replacement part to get us warm, but the furnace wil need some serious work...estimate is $400-700 just to do it "fast and nasty".  We'll be selling this place "as is" and they'll need to put in new a/c and heat.  Probably be a flipper that will buy it any way.  The weather finally started warming up yesterday.  Sunday was rainy and some freezing so we stayed put...again...LOL  Spent most of yesterday (since it was about 40) doing all our errands, shopping, paying bills and putting Seafoam in the motorcycle and all 4 mowers.  Started the motorcycle up and ran it through, but the mowers wouldn't start.  We'll have to use some ether spray on them this spring, but at least they have a tank of gas that won't gel up.  We've still lot more winter coming.  Stay warm and safe everybody!

Edited by The WE2's
Accidently hit the post button...LOL

We found a couple of bearing nut trees....not money trees, but nice.....one of the nuts looks like a hickory, one looks like a small pecan.  No leaves on trees, so we are having trouble with good tree ID.  Still lookin' for the money tree....

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3

Ugh We2, not fun!  I've gotten my car batteries at Sears for decades and have never had a problem with them. They have even outlasted their lifespan. The last time I needed one it gave me plenty of warning that it was time for a new one. It was hard to start a couple of times so I went ahead and got a new one before it completely died on me and I could still drive it. They are probably more expensive (don't know) but I guess you get what you pay for most of the time...not always though. I THINK they are Die Hard. However, my lawn mower battery died within 3 days of starting it. Sigh.  It came with the mower so I don't know what kind it is. I don't even know how to access it yet.

I'm always leery about my furnace in the fall. It is original to the house going on 40 years old. Son is working in heating and cooling now and they are so busy this year. It's been in the single digits and below zero for a few weeks in a row there. They tell people that homes with senior citizen's and babies get the top priority. One guy got a little testy when his thermostat was off by 5 degrees and they told him that there was a home without any heat at all with children inside. He thought since he called first they should service him first. They told him to turn his thermostat up five degrees and they would be out when no ones life or health was in danger. Makes you me want to just slap some people.

Kappy, when you find that money tree, I'd like a start from it...please. Seeds, cutting or root piece will be fine.

• Like 1

Nut trees.....  :happy0203:    Money tree....  :hapydancsmil:

:lol:

How does one claim their furnace is off by 5*????  I'm assuming in any house there will be zones of warmer/cooler temps.  Small rooms like bathrooms -warmer.  Rooms with big uncovered/uninsulated windows -cooler.  :shrug:

MtRider  ....the MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME mentality.  Doesn't it get weary and boring for them? 

14 hours ago, kappydell said:

We found a couple of bearing nut trees....not money trees, but nice.....one of the nuts looks like a hickory, one looks like a small pecan.  No leaves on trees, so we are having trouble with good tree ID.  Still lookin' for the money tree....

If you find it, send us a shoot to start one down here, please!