MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

It snowed heavily yesterday as I was at the hospital for DH's knee replacement. Our sweet neighbor came over twice and plowed the driveway with his 4-wheeler. We've only been here a year, and the neighborhood has been a blessing and come to our aid.  :hug3:

DH was supposed to dangle his legs over the bed last night, but he took the PT instructor for a walk in the hospital hallway. I can see that he's going to be hard to keep under control. However, after 43 years of marriage, they're not telling me anything I don't already know.  :whistling:

Thank you for your prayers. DH has begun a new lease on life. The surgeon said that his old knee was in really bad shape. Nothing worth saving.  :happy0203:

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Homesteader said:

DH was supposed to dangle his legs over the bed last night, but he took the PT instructor for a walk in the hospital hallway.

:coffeescreen:   :amen:    :cheer:

MtRider   ....we'd better pray for his wisdom and moderation!  :pray:

Other than doing our weekly volunteer work, we've stayed inside...literally.  Only opening the back doo to let Abby out to do her job.  Even she gets down to biz and comes right back.  Last night with wind chill, it was -20.  Today we had 9.  Last time Mr. looked it was 4 :-(  I do believe this is one of the coldest winters we've seen for a LONG, LONG time!  With the snow on the ground it just makes it feel even more frigid.  They've been opening the food kitchen in our area for those needing shelter from the cold.  They provide cots and as many blankets and pillows as they can collect from the city, plus a warm meal.  So far it's my understanding that they average about 10 each night.  I don't know if that means there are that many that are homeless or if they just don't have heat systems in their homes...either way, glad it's there for them.  They've even started opening during the day this past week.  So glad there are people in our city that volunteer to stay there at night as over-seerers, otherwise they probably wouldn't be able to keep it open.  I've even noticed that my knees ache when I first get in bed at night, until they warm up.  We're not really warm ourselves.  Thermo is at 68 and we turn on the EdenPur in the livingroom to supplement the heat while we're in there during the day.  Gives this furnace some relief if we keep it turned down and run the EdenPur.  No work done at the homestead. Maybe tomorrow?

Still haven't heard yet from the mechanic that's re-building the tranny on my van.  Last time Mr talked to him, he had all the parts...were hoping he'd have it done in a couple weeks.  BUT the weather has turned off so bad I'm sure he didn't want to get outside and push the van back into his workshop :-(  I'll be so glad to have Miss B back home where she belongs and where we have a backup vehicle.

• Like 1

Took DH to hospital for EGD today.  He has an ulcer.  It's been snowing all afternoon and evening--again.  4th time of snowing this year in the Deep South.  Coldest winter in the 6 years we have been here!  Went to Burger King for lunch and came home.  Stayed in side except for taking care of goats!

We are having a very cold winter here too. I'm staying plenty warm but I know I'll pay for it at the end of the month. Literally. I took the Jeep out tonight to keep it running. It was a little slow to start. I'll try it tomorrow during the day. If it's still sluggish I'll get a new battery. I'm not playing with it since I'm by myself and would probably have to call a tow truck for a jump. Probably cheaper to get a new battery and not worry about it. I don't have A.A.A. because I used to have S.O.N. 

It's -2 tonight and I've got a fire blazing in the fireplace. I've gotten good at starting a fire in the insert. Three little pieces of fat wood and two little pieces of twisted newspaper and a long nose lighter and off it goes. I swear by fatwood.

• Like 1
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:48 PM, TheCG said:

If you find it, send us a shoot to start one down here, please!

OK...will do!  

Today we battened down hatches due to incoming ice storms.  We lose power a lot down here, because they don't replace the electric lines until they actually are brought down by tree limbs, etc.  They take "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ver-r-r-r-y seriously down here!  So we have gennies in place and ready to go. 

I succumbed to temptation today at the dollar store, they had 25 cent seed packets.  I cant resist cheap seeds!  

We got our carport finished today too.  We could hold one heck of a party in there, it is huge.  But that is a good thing, we can put two SUVs in there, plus there is an enclosed rear area for secure storage.  So tomorrow we resume sorting boxes as to what goes where.  Mary got her bed back, and I am waiting for E-mail info from Penske trucking (who leased our movers their trucks) as to their procedures with items left in the trucks.  The mover, claims they just clean out the trucks and throw away anything left behind.  I find that a little hard to believe....not without looking to see what it is....somebody somewhere has to have my 7 short wave radios.  

Edited by kappydell

I'm glad you are getting settled in Kappydell. I don't ever plan on moving again.  It is just too hard.

Good news on your hubby Homey.  It sounds like alot of us and our hubbies are needing "maintenance work"

We got about half an inch of snow Tuesday night.  Other nearby areas got alot more. Our temps have been really low with wind chills.  Today it is supposed to get above freezing. YEA!!

Our schnauser (sp) had a hematoma on her ear. We had to have surgery and I couldn't believe how much it cost.  I really had to think about spending big money on her.  We are on a very fixed income and she is getting old. On the other hand she is very sweet and has been very healthy so far. DH is crazy about her too.  I told him that I would have to think about spending that much money on him if he got sick again..lol

Have a great day all!

• Like 3

Good Morning. 

Frosty here, this morning, and sunny. 38* at 8 am. We were expecting the cold weather and all the garden has covers on it.  It even rained (sprinkled) for a couple of hours yesterday. If it stays sunny and warms up somewhat, I will hang the garden covers on the clothes line to dry them out. 

I wanted to make 3 zippered throw pillow cases, to replace the ones that are getting thread bare from 30+ years of use & washing. I cut the new material and got all the tools and supplies I needed for the job. 

I had bought a newer sewing machine at a yard sale, threaded it and tested the stitch. The top tension is extremely loose and nothing I did will tighten it. Frustrated, I got my old (1960’s) machine. Shucks!  The foot is not working. At all. Figures. 

2 machines and I have to make them by hand, if I want them. Good thing I was taught to sew by hand. I just wish the materials edges didn’t need to be zigzagged. Meh, that’s life. 

We have a desert willow tree in full bloom attracting bees. All you hear when you get near it is the buzzing of 1,000’s of honey bees. Every time the dogs walk under it, they get covered in tiny little yellow/green flowers. 

Well, time for me to get going. I hope everyone has a great day. 

Unusually cold winter for AZ, isn't it? Annarchy?

That blob of moisture passed over us and left us with 5" of white stuff.  :amen: NEEDED the moisture but....it's a lot of work to remove from places it can't stay and freeze up solid.  So far, we haven't gotten above 6*  .....after 40* yesterday.  Tomorrow will be sunny and begin to melt/freeze/melt/freeze all of this.  Needs to move today while it's still fluffy. 

Been empty here in MrsS the past couple days.  :scratchhead:  Hope everyone is doing well.

MtRider  :frozen: 

I'm so happy for your Ambergris!  Try to get some rest in there somewhere!

• 70 degrees here today!  Quite a change from 11 degrees a few days ago in the morning.  

Vet appt. for nail clips in the morning and I need to get another quart of local honey while we are in town.  Kind of staying low key right now.  DH not doing real well.  Doc apt for him on Wednesday.  Hope you all stay warm and have a good week!

• Like 1

I do know about WIND trying to tear, shred, and destroy, The CG!  Hang on tight and batten down.  I think the snow storm we just had is heading eastward.  Not sure if it dips south enough to affect you. 

:pray: for Ambergris'' move and work and CLOSING!!!  :happy0203:

:pray: for MrMiki.....  :unsure: 

So.....we got 7+" of snow.  COLD :frozen: CLEAR STARRY NITE .....oye.  DH and I got all those inches off the sagging "Circus Tent".  Mentioned we might just have to throw everyting back in the garage and give up the hope of cleaning/sanitizing those areas frirst.  :sigh:  Pretty bad when there is ZERO evidence that rodents are bothering my stuff outside in a chainlink dog kennel with a tarp....  But would be fouling that same stuff INSIDE the garage! 

:banghead:   :gaah:     I hate rodents!

MtRider  ......  keeping warm  :campfire: 

• Like 1

Not that uncommon, Mt_Rider. We’ve had years where it snowed 10 miles from our house and froze most of the winter. I’d say it’s about average. 

Managed to dry out the garden covers and get them back on the garden. Finished one pillow case, 2 to go. 

DH is concerned he won’t get paid, due to the govt. shutdown. Sheesh, why don’t TPTB have their pay withheld?  It’s not right, no matter how you look at it. Last time, we were lucky, because we had a healthy savings account. This time, we’re on a fixed income, much less than when he was working. We have enough food & supplies to last for a while, but the monthly bills will have to wait until the govt. gets it’s act together and passes the stupid budget. How hard is it?  They spend our money like water, making up reasons to spend more, then when they cannot have what they want, they decide to penalize those who can’t do anything about it.  :soapbox::beat_deadhorse:  Enough of that.....

:sigh:

40* at 5 am. I’m getting ready to make another pillow case, hopefully I will be able to finish the inventory, in order to finish the financial reports. 

Good luck @ the doctors Miki..

Don't work too hard Ambergris. 

Momo, hope your puppy stays well. 

Wind noises..... tend to drive me buggy. ....

Hope everyone has a wonderful day. 

• Like 1

The pole was still just bent, not broken, when hubby looked before he went to bed last night.  Given his schedule for the next week...I'm pretty certain that my butt is going to be climbing a ladder to do something with it.

Windy here today, too. It's rain, mixed with sleet and ice pellets (a beautiful Scottish day). Had to get DH to the hospital for PT this morning. All the schools were closed (gives plows longer to spread salt). :imoksmiley:

We took the 4x4 and really struggled getting DH boosted up into the truck. His new knee is quite swollen and doesn't want to bend much. It didn't help that he sat on his butt most of the day yesterday. His PT instructor said that he went backwards by not bending that knee yesterday.   :whistling:  Maybe Wednesday, I'll toss him into the bed of the truck with the topper. It has carpet in it. Not heated though and a rough ride.  Will still be icy and unable to get the car out of the driveway.  :0327:

This afternoon I get a break and will start ordering garden seeds. I finished the inventory just before his surgery. Not much else gets done around here except playing nurse.   :hug3:

Saturday and Sunday were beautiful days...so we did the "get out of dodge" thing to help with the cabin fever all three of us have been going through...but today it turned back off cold and it began to rain about 2:00 and now it's spitting some snow.  Tomorrow will probably melt off any accumulation though.  My dad underwent surgery this afternoon to put in a pacemaker, he came through just fine.  He's 90!  Most of the family stayed away because of all the flu going around (especially in hospital halls, waiting rooms and even other patients and nurses.  His wife and a friend went up (of course) but left after he was in recovery because the weather was going to turn bad and she had a long way to drive...as we would have had to do.  I have one brother that's staying until he wakes up, but he lives in the same area.  Lot's of prayers went up I tell ya! :-) 

• Like 1

Spent time last nite and again today.....popping, shoving, hoisting 7" of snow off the sagging [think: swimming pool] Circus Tent roof tarp.  I seriously need a ridge pole.  Wasn't in original design cuz all that stuff was supposed to be back in garage already!  :gaah: 

I think I have carpal tunnel in my wrists now........  {I hope I'm kidding...ow!} 

But it finally did slide up and over so when/if it melts, I don't have water up there sloshing.  HEAVY lifting and more snow in forecast.

MtRider  .......but we will appreciate the moisture ...when we warm up over 32* and it melts.  :amen:    No dust mask needed to go feed tonite.  :cheer: 

Apparently something I"m doing is working, 'cause I got industrious yesterday.

Went to the YMCA and swam in the morning, did some grocery shopping, came home, finished putting together over-the-wheel-well boxes for in the back of the truck (recruited FIL to help me tighten up the screws - I ran out of hands trying to hold the lid, the nut, and the drill!), then bumped the temp up on the water heater.  The water is getting hotter - I need to check it and make sure it's not too hot.  Our laundry had been coming out still stinky, especially cotton stuff.  I added a scoop of OxyClean to each load, and it seems to be making the smell go away.  Hopefully with the water being hotter, I can use less OxyClean...

ETA: And hubby told me don't worry about the dish unless the wind is going to pick up majorly.  It's supposed to stay under 20mph all week, so we'll probably get up there on Saturday or Sunday when he's home to help.

Edited by TheCG

It's warmed up a little bit here. We had thunder/lightning/rain last night and this morning. Now it's sprinkling with snow flurries mixed in.

I've been so tired lately. No energy. I hope I come to life pretty soon. I can fall asleep like (snap) that. Maybe I'm boring myself.    

I've got a good old Winnie the Pooh-style blustery rainy night tonight. I should be asleep, buuuuuut... between the wind and the hubby snoring and my brain that won't shut up, I'm wide awake.

Do we have anyone in Alaska anymore? I'm sure we used to... just wondering about that big quake and the tsunami warnings up there early this morning. My news was full of it on my way to work this morning, but no updates on my way home.

So much going on with everyone! Prayers for your move to go smoothly, Ambergris; for Mr Homesteader's knee to improve quickly; for Jeepers' energy levels to come back; for Mt Rider to NOT DO TOO MUCH (lol); for WE2's dad and Miki's DH; for CG to stay off the ladder :24:; and for all the rest. Yikes! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2