MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

strawberry bed planted - 50 plants in there.  Raised beds filled - currently covered with tarp due to rain - M cut up potatoes for planting in a couple days.  Also have brassica to plant out as soon as we harden them off (don't know how much the store did to harden them, so we will double-harden them). 

IMG_3372.JPG

IMG_3371.JPG

• Like 5

Yikes, Mt_ Rider!  I hope you feel better soon.

I'm cooking large amounts (for me - those of you who can can stop laughing now) of veggies at the moment.

2 cake pans (9x13) full of broccoli, a head of cabbage, a big package of sliced mushrooms, a thing of sliced fajita veggies, and a bag of chopped onions.

I expect not to have anything but onions and peppers left by Wednesday...and maybe some of my tiny containers of mushrooms that are portioned out to go on top of burgers.  The last time I made cabbage this way, the teenager went back for fourths!  Gotta say, definitely one of the cheapest ways to feed a teen that isn't pure starch.

• Like 2

Kappydell, those raised beds look incredible and like they were a good bit of work!  

Mt. Rider, do you maybe need to go to an ER if not feeling better this morning?  Or maybe your DH can help!  

Annarchy, I hope you have a safe drive home!

I stayed home from Church today as I woke up with a very sore throat. Gargled with peroxide and had some chicken broth for breakfast. Not doing much today, besides eBay.

Yesterday, I bought potting soil and top soil. The kid never showed up to put the cart together, so for now, the dirt is staying in the back of the jeep. Got some tomato starts (2 types), rosemary, sage, eggplants, and a Fooled you Pepper. Supposed to taste like jalapeno, but without the heat. DH isn't supposed to have much spicy any more.

• Like 1

:amen:  :balloons: 

That Was Dreadful!   But.....tho I was seeing a very long, excruciating night in my future....it didn't happen.  :happy0203:  And I didn't even have to get up at 3AM to take more pain relievers.  I was able to inch-by-inch,  lower the head of the bed....and by 12:30am, I WENT TO SLEEP!  Stayed asleep till 9:30AM.  :amen: 

THAT is very unusual for my headaches!  Thank You, God!!! Thank all who were praying for me....even as I slept peacefully.  Today I'm weak...shaky a bit.   There is a definite 'caution' coming from neck/head.  But no pain.  Bit of stiff neck.  But wheeeew!  Gonna be resting. 

We might get snow.  Yes, delighted to get snow in our current DUSTBOWL ...anywhere but on the tarp of my Circus Tent, that is.  Cuz I will not be pushing upwards with brooms to lift tarp and slide snow off over the sides....  DH is home today but it works so much better with two of us working at chasing the mounds around the roof.  Pushing brooms up to lift the tarp....  Yeah...loads of fun.  Still....I'm going to hate to move my stuff back into the rodent-infested garage when it gets too hot to keep it in Circus Tent.  Cuz I have zero indication that the rodents are bothering the stuff in there.  We're talking chainlink dog kennel, pallets on ground, tarp roof......and I have more rodents INSIDE than there, OUTSIDE.  :gaah:  

MtRider  ....tip toeing today.....  :)

• Like 2

I have one bucket of potatoes this year--volunteering from last year.  Remember that early potatoes (especially Yukon Gold) do not do the layering thing.

Glad you are doing some better Mt. Rider.  :pray:

Your beds look so nice Kappy!

I have some bills to go mail and a very quick trip to the grocery store for perishables and then back home. It's freezing here and my neck is killing me. We are supposed to get more snow tonight. I'll be so glad when spring/summer gets here. I'm hoping it won't hurt as bad then. I'm very thankful that I am able to stay home with a heating pad and some Advil though.

Darn, I dreamed about Keith Richards AGAIN last night. He was late for a concert and I was trying to get him there in a hurry. I hired a guy who was towing a boat and Keith and I were riding in the boat flying down the road with mud puddle water splashing all over us. Good times.

It's never romantic. But Mick winked at me. :woohoo:

I just had a thought. I'll be 66 on June 6th.  666. Oh wait, 66 on 6-6. Whew. :D

78 days til Social Security. :grinning-smiley-044:

• Haha 3
On 3/18/2018 at 10:44 AM, TheCG said:

Yikes, Mt_ Rider!  I hope you feel better soon.

I'm cooking large amounts (for me - those of you who can can stop laughing now) of veggies at the moment.

2 cake pans (9x13) full of broccoli, a head of cabbage, a big package of sliced mushrooms, a thing of sliced fajita veggies, and a bag of chopped onions.

I expect not to have anything but onions and peppers left by Wednesday...and maybe some of my tiny containers of mushrooms that are portioned out to go on top of burgers.  The last time I made cabbage this way, the teenager went back for fourths!  Gotta say, definitely one of the cheapest ways to feed a teen that isn't pure starch.

Recipe, please?

Finally got DH a Z pack today for his bronchitis of whatever he has AND my garden wagon that I received last week is put together!  Yay!!!  Kid coming next week sometime to clean goat shed unless I do it first.  Probably not but who knows!  LOL  Making reubens and French fries for dinner, not real healthy but don't have them often!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

Recipe, please?

For the cabbage?  

Preheat oven to 350F.  Cut up a head of cabbage into bite size pieces.  Dump it in a big baking pan.  Add your favorite cooking oil.  I used avocado oil.  I've used bacon grease & butter before.  Season it (I used Magic Mushroom Powder - that stuff is epic).  Stir.  Season it more, stir again.  Shove in the oven.  I left it in for about 25 minutes, I believe.  Some pieces start getting black and crispy around the edges.  You can stir it about halfway through.

• Thanks 1

We had lots of storms and even tornadoes around us last night but we were spared.  The closest tornado was 20 miles away.  We spent a few hours monitoring the storm so DH got to bed late.  He was really tired today from his late night. Now we have a cold front coming through so I am glad we waited on the gardening. Our last frost date is April 8th but all of the trees are blooming already.

Kappydell I love your beds..I wish you could help me get some done down here.

One of my last best friends has died. It seems folks that I care about are dropping like flies. She suffered alot so it is kind of a blessing for her. Despite her fueding children it was a very nice ceremony and the preacher mentioned my husband first thing with a cute story.  It sure surprised  us.

• Like 1
On 3/17/2018 at 8:27 PM, TheCG said:

That's what they tried to tell me was wrong with my tires, when all that happened was we knocked the weight off when we hit a pot hole, and the guy fixing it didn't clean it enough for the new one to re-adhere, so 300 miles down the road, the wobble came back.

I buy the lemon-flavored fish oil from Carlson (or from a professional supplement line I have access to).  It doesn't taste fishy at all, and if you put it in a smoothie, it gives it a lovely lemony boost.

Hubby takes DHA...changed after doing some research on fish oil.

11 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I'm sorry you lost your bestie Momo. There was a spell awhile back where I kept reading about people I went to school with passing. A lot of us are between 65-70 so....

and some older...LOL Really puts you in touch with your own mortality...

• Like 1

We've worked pretty steady at the homestead house...Mr. in the bath remodel and me sorting and pitching...I actually see a kitchen!  I didn't scrub the floor (it's laminate) because I know all three of us will be continually tripping through the kitchen to get to the mud room and then to the back room...LOL  He's got the plastic down and will eventually put down the rock.  He ran a lot of the flexable water pipes and did did some insulation work under the soon to be floor.  He'll also be insulating under the plywood then silver bubble wrap between that and the sub floor.  That will keep the heat loss to a bare minimum.  It's been such a long project...but his OCD won't allow him to do anything but his best :-)  It's been a task for me to go work there and then keep things here running.  Monday...pitch a load in the washer, fix breakfast, wash dishes, plan a supper meal and off we go.  Come home for lunch, pitch a load in the dryer, and another load in the washer, fix lunch, wash dishes and off we go.  Home for supper, wash dishes, fold clothes and head for the shower.  I usually find my book, crawl into bed about 9 or so.  PTL for the strength of the Lord!  I'm over 70 now and am fully aware of my need for His strength.  Went in for our annual exams and doc says "tough as nails" but did need to up the thyroid dose...wish I didn't need to take that stuff...then I'd be med free :-(  Have to admit that increasing the dosage seems to have helped me to feel better.

We went to Home Depot and picked up 4 10 foot long 2”x 10” boards, so I can make a new waterbed frame. The one that fell apart, that we fixed-temporarly, creaks constantly.  I plan to make a headboard for the new one too. So, for $60. I can make one that would cost us $400. if we bought it premade. Plus, I am hoping to make a new cutting board with the excess that will be cut off. :happy0203:

We got some ideas for replacing the bathroom sink. We think we can use the terra-cotta tile and the Marzi round vessel sink we got from the neighbors house. Dreams...  I will have to do all the calculations and get all the materials before I start that project. 

Tomorrow, DH wants to take the dogs to the lake. It’s supposed to be 90*. Meh, summer is here in the desert. 

• Like 2

Ham and bean soup done! Made a small batch of regular and one of decaf cold brew coffee (that stuff is great and easy to make). Made a keto type coffee creamer caramel flavor with stevia to sweeten. Finished and packaged the pumpkin dog treats. I hope to be outside tomorrow some as dh cancelled his egd until after the cardiologist visit.

• Like 2

Lol, Jeepers.  My father was a carpenter. I’ve always enjoyed working with wood. Ha, I can see it now, crooked corners, splinters, and not squared. :grinning-smiley-044:

It took months, after replacing my countertop and sink, to find and fix the leak in the drain. :shakinghead:  Really irritated me it was such a simple fix I missed.  :misc-smiley-231:

Took apart the hard drives of our old computers.  We found 2 extremely strong magnets in the drive boxes. Oddly, the piece of metal it is attached to, is not magnetic and the magnet has no effect on the metal side. I accidentally got my finger pinched between the two magnets and it cut a good 1/8 inch slit. :blink:  And I thought you weren’t supposed to get a magnet near the hard drive?!?

• Confused 1
21 hours ago, Annarchy said:

Lol, Jeepers.  My father was a carpenter. I’ve always enjoyed working with wood. Ha, I can see it now, crooked corners, splinters, and not squared. :grinning-smiley-044:

It took months, after replacing my countertop and sink, to find and fix the leak in the drain. :shakinghead:  Really irritated me it was such a simple fix I missed.  :misc-smiley-231:

Took apart the hard drives of our old computers.  We found 2 extremely strong magnets in the drive boxes. Oddly, the piece of metal it is attached to, is not magnetic and the magnet has no effect on the metal side. I accidentally got my finger pinched between the two magnets and it cut a good 1/8 inch slit. :blink:  And I thought you weren’t supposed to get a magnet near the hard drive?!?

A carpenter I am NOT...but hubby is! LOL  I sure watch and help him a lot...just in case.  Like you...magnets?

Hubby hung a new motion sensor front porch at the homestead today, re-worked the game camera to get a different angle and got it put back up.  Cleaned out the front ditch that had filled with debri after this last heavy rain, and took a rake and cleared out the storm drain on one side...people keep throwing rocks and bricks into it so the water doesn't flow like it needs to.  In a life changing event, we do have a water source...thank God for Berkey's!  We have the travel size and are buying the big Berkey from a friend who has moved into a senior housing development and doesn't feel he needs it any longer.  We also have two Berkey sport bottles and two life straw type filters.  I pulled out the bedside porta-pot that we had in one of our storage shed, filled a small bucket with sawdust and I've got a nifty little compost toilet to use until we've got the plumbing in the bath remodel....yeah!  No more hunkering over a bucket! LOL  Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner!  Having the arms to hold on to and the legs to steady things is just the thing.  The little pot slides right into where it needs to be...LOL Just finished folding up some work shirts that I put in the dryer this afternoon before we left.  We bought several at yard sales last year so they needed washing.