MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

On 3/19/2018 at 7:35 PM, TheCG said:

For the cabbage?  

Preheat oven to 350F.  Cut up a head of cabbage into bite size pieces.  Dump it in a big baking pan.  Add your favorite cooking oil.  I used avocado oil.  I've used bacon grease & butter before.  Season it (I used Magic Mushroom Powder - that stuff is epic).  Stir.  Season it more, stir again.  Shove in the oven.  I left it in for about 25 minutes, I believe.  Some pieces start getting black and crispy around the edges.  You can stir it about halfway through.

Thank you.

I've been gardening. Used my new handy dandy garden cart to haul around 3 large lick tubs, drill drain holes in them, put straw in bottom, added and mixed top soil and potting mix, planted plants and topped with a little more straw. That was a lot of heavy work, but I'm done for now. Put away the 7 quarts of soup from yesterday and still need to cook spaghetti noodles (sauce was frozen, yay)! I'm about pooped! Tomorrow is the day to make and can dog food!

• Like 1

I went to Toys R Us today. Everything I wanted was 10% + off. Not a huge savings but it was things I would eventually buy anyway. They had everything I wanted except 2 games that I've only seen on line. I'm going ahead and order them then pack it all away for when I move. My Jeep looks like a game/puzzle factory blew up in it. I've got stuff ready for grandson's room but no house yet.  :008Laughing:

They weren't crowded at all but I went during the early afternoon. Nothing was really picked over yet. I probably could have waited another week or so. I saw a sign that said no checks accepted. And they didn't have any bags left.

I can not find a little Philips screwdriver that is magnetized anywhere. I really need one bad. I went to my local hardware store and they sold me a little thing that magnetizes and demagnetizes tools. If I can just get it out of the plastic vault it's packed in I'll try it. I hate those packages. I've ruined more scissors trying to open them.

Swung by the store and saw some German chocolate cupcakes. Sigh. I wanted to stay away from that aisle but my darn cart went there anyway. Luckily there are only 6 in the pack. I ate one and inside is a dollop of chocolate icing. Kinda like a lave cake. My eyes rolled back in my head a little. :yum3:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I couldn't sleep last night so got up at 1 AM and made the dog food (started cooking it in the crockpots). Dishwasher heating jars now and will be canning shortly. At least I will be done earlier than I usually am. 

Update--Jars out of pressure canner at 3 PM.  Also swept whole house and tired again!  I hope to sleep better with Church in the morning!

It's taken a few months to get to this point but right now, DH can't take a shower without getting completely out of breath.  He has a cardiology appt. Monday to hopefully, rule out his heart and then on to  a pulmonologist.  I surely hope and covet your prayers that he will be on the mend soon!  Have had to wait a month for the cardiology appt.

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Sad 1

Momo, you are just over one state from us, you might be closer than you think!  M says to ask whereabouts in AL you are.  We have friends in Anniston and Gadsden we go over and visit now and again.  We could help you with raised beds....

Today we went with a friend to the local flea market to scope it out.  She is very 'crafty' and she and her DH are making things to sell for extra folding money.  We were looking to see what folks were charging for things, and what was selling.  Nothing like she makes, so she was gratified.  I asked her if she could decorate some wreaths (nobody was selling those at all) since I have made those in the past.  Now I have to find a strand of willows and go a-cutting (and plant some down by our creek...).  Told her we have to go cut some kudzu, too, and I could make her some wreaths & rustic baskets from that.  We both like crafts we can gather parts for without spending a penny....I'm wondering now if I'm ambitious enough to try some pots from all this nice red Georgia clay in my yard.  Not til the garden is in, anyway; maybe later.   My friend decided to get a booth at the flea market, and says she will sell anything I want to put out there, as well as what we decide to get rid of when we start thinning down our packed and stored possessions.  May as well try to get some money from them. 

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, kappydell said:

Momo, you are just over one state from us, you might be closer than you think!  M says to ask whereabouts in AL you are.  We have friends in Anniston and Gadsden we go over and visit now and again.  We could help you with raised beds....

Anniston ... I was trying to remember where I did Basic Training in the military. Is the fort still open?  :hi:

On 2/11/2018 at 7:23 PM, The WE2's said:

Noticed you have an interest in Rodesian's.  We've thought about getting another dog when we move to the homestead, one that will get along with our Abby-girl and be ok to remain an outside dog.  Your thoughts?

WE2, if the dog is to be an outside dog, then a Ridgeback is NOT a good choice.  They do not do well as strictly outside dogs.

No, Homesteader, the fort is not still open...so sad, there are only vestiges left.  My roommate and prep partner was a drill sgt there....when were you there?  Could you be one of her trainees?   Hmmmmm.....

Today we fenced in about half of our garden, then ran out of fencing and had to go get more.  M's birthday today, so we got an ice cream cake from DQ as a treat.

We will be very sore tomorrow.  Trying no to dwell on that part, LOL.  

Edited by kappydell
35 minutes ago, kappydell said:

No, Homesteader, the fort is not still open...so sad, there are only vestiges left.  My roommate and prep partner was a drill sgt there....when were you there?  Could you be one of her trainees?   Hmmmmm.....

Unless your roommate is Black, she wasn't my DI.   :wave:  I think I was down there in 1971-72.

All that happened at the cardio appt. for dh was to make an appt. for tests.  At least it's next Tuesday and not a month away!  Stress test and sonogram of heart.  I sure want to find out what his breathing problem is from!  Another week of not driving or going anywhere for him.  His blood pressure is quite low today also.  Lower than normal  117/67  That might explain why he feels like he is going to pass out when he stands sometimes.

Thank you for your prayers!

• Sad 1

Thank you, Mt. Rider!  I hope so too!  And I was thinking about that with the blood sugar, Jeepers.  Next Tues. should be interesting with the stress treadmill test when he can hardly stand, much less walk at any kind of speed.  And on an empty stomach since he has to fast for the sonogram!  This morning, he wanted to go back to the VA because he is feeling worse again (not breathing well and coughing).  Then he decided to put some Vicks on and took an alka seltzer plus.  Now he wants to wait and see.  It's like a roller coaster and not a fun one!  Kinda like when we bought the house.

• Sad 1
12 minutes ago, snapshotmiki said:

Thank you, Mt. Rider!  I hope so too!  And I was thinking about that with the blood sugar, Jeepers.  Next Tues. should be interesting with the stress treadmill test when he can hardly stand, much less walk at any kind of speed. 

Several months ago, my DH had to take a treadmill test for his knee replacement pre-op. The doc opted to give him a med via IV, while laying on a table. DH thought someone was sitting on his chest the whole time, but the test gave the same results as a treadmill test. Don't know if that is an option for your hubby.  :hug3:

Just now, Homesteader said:

Several months ago, my DH had to take a treadmill test for his knee replacement pre-op. The doc opted to give him a med via IV, while laying on a table. DH thought someone was sitting on his chest the whole time, but the test gave the same results as a treadmill test. Don't know if that is an option for your hubby.  :hug3:

I had that kind of stress test too, several years ago. Easy-peasy. :D And the "best" part was when they gave me the med to stop the stressor--I felt absolutely fabulous and able to breathe freely -- for about 2 minutes until that med wore off. :/

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Homesteader said:

Thank you, Homesteader!  I will definitely check in to that before the test!

My main "prep" I'm working on right now is ME.  I'm not going to be much use if I'm not healthy.  Been doing keto pretty strictly for a week and a half, and dropped my fasting blood sugar by 30, from 115, which means it's not in the pre-diabetic range anymore and is actually at a pretty good number for anybody (80-85).  Ate too many carbs yesterday (but not an absurd amount) and it was back up to 95 this morning.  I'm going to have to stay on top of this.  I'm slowly losing weight and starting to have more energy.  

• Like 3
Just now, TheCG said:

My main "prep" I'm working on right now is ME.  I'm not going to be much use if I'm not healthy.  Been doing keto pretty strictly for a week and a half, and dropped my fasting blood sugar by 30, from 115, which means it's not in the pre-diabetic range anymore and is actually at a pretty good number for anybody (80-85).  Ate too many carbs yesterday (but not an absurd amount) and it was back up to 95 this morning.  I'm going to have to stay on top of this.  I'm slowly losing weight and starting to have more energy.  

Hey CG. I've been doing a ketogenic diet since Dec 2016. Have lost 125+ pounds! Here's a link to my keto page. :welcome: Maybe there is something there that will help or inspire you. You can also ask me any questions you may have about the keto WOE. (Way of Eating). For example, I can give you links to recipes or support boards.    :thumbs: 

I am also adding a link to my Pinterest--lots of keto recipes there. :shopping: :cook:  :feedme:

https://www.facebook.com/ketobetic/

https://www.pinterest.com/clayborn0660/lchf/

• Like 3

I’ve had the chemical test, ‘cause I can not do the treadmill. I had a reaction to the chemical and coded. It’s just me, I’m very sensitive to stuff. They fixed my heart problems quickly. 

Congrats TheCG, sounds like you have a plan. 

Vic,  Oh my goodness!  I visited your blog. Do you mind if use your idea to make a block wood holder? That is cool. 

125 lbs, Midnightmom, awesome!!!  I have trouble keeping 5 lbs off. 

Harvested most of the fava beans. After filling the blocks with soil. Transplanted the camomile plants that ‘volunteered’ growing from last year in the yard, into the blocks. 

Got it a belt sander, to prep the boards for our bed. Slowly working on that project. 

DH & I went out and got mesquite wood and a garbage bag of cow poop-aged, on Monday. I will grind it up and spread it on the lawn, hopefully sometime this week. DH spread Bermuda seed on the lawn yesterday. 

The jalapeño plants are flowering and one jalapeño is getting pretty big, PTL!  

Time to get motivated again, we have someone coming in this evening. 

F7758539-2C16-4ECC-BAC3-D3D7A1F359EC.jpeg

• Like 3

It is definitely more challenging to "prep" when you live a ketogenic lifestyle. 

Canned veggies (for me, anyway) are limited to green beans, sauerkraut, and some spinach--no corn or beans (legumes) of any kind. I recently gave all of my stores of sugar, flour, and cornmeal to the mission. I do stock chix broth (by the case!) and some tomato products--as long as there is no added sugar (toms are kinda "carby" on their own). I buy tuna when it is on sale, and I love the Bacon flavored SPAM. :D I jar up chix, gr beef, and pork when I can get it in large enough bulk at a cheap enough price to make it worth the effort. I also stock olive oil, coconut oil, and have recently added avocado oil to my pantry. I use erythritol, splenda, and stevia as sweeteners; almond and coconut for flour. More expensive and can go rancid unless you store them in the freezer, so I don't keep too much on hand. It is surprisingly easy to learn to live without bread!

• Like 1

Trying to figure out how/when to have Easter with my folks.  We're deciding for Sat.  Mebbe bring take-out to my folks....so no one has to cook/KP.  :) 

Had a very nice wet snow...now melting and nary a DUST STORM in sight.  :amen:

Kinda been tired...less functional lately.  Might have beaten the chronic bronchitis....hopefully.  Had our Internet usage increase into the mid 90's and couldn't do much.  Just quickly check email and unplug so the usage goes back down!  Sheeeesh!

MtRider   :wave: 

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:19 PM, Homesteader said:

Unless your roommate is Black, she wasn't my DI.   :wave:  I think I was down there in 1971-72.

nope, but that was the right time...how coincidental!

• Like 1

Finished fencing today - the garden beds are one big block, the blueberry bushes a smaller one.  Don't know if we will have to fence asparagus patch or not.  Ordered last of the planting stuff yesterday  (it was soc security payday).  Got some rhubarb, 6 raspberry bushes (thornless), dwarf fruit trees - apple, peach, pear, plum.  The native plums I wanted were out of stock; hopefully can get some later for our creekside area.  Putting our jerusalem artichokes in next week down there in our planned forage area.  Got some seeds for winter gardening, too.  Pinetree Garden seeds does cool mixed seed packets:  broccoli, pepper, lettuce, cabbage & kale mixtures.  Got the kale blend for winter fare...should be fun!  Got their "braising greens" mix to try too.  I love greens.

We bought some brackets to put shelves on outside of shed to hold window boxes...kind of a vertical planting, for small flowers & herbs is what we are planning.  Hopefully the man we want to do our front lawn area will come soon, we have front flowerbeds to put in - roses & lilies.  So we are whipping this place into shape, between the spring showers.  We get stiff & sore but the hot tub helps a lot.