MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Doc thinks dog has kidney problems and DH says we can't afford tests.  Doc told us what to (try) to feed her.  She understands the money issue.  We will just try to keep some weight on her and let her be happy until she isn't.  I wish dogs lived longer lives!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I'm sorry Miki. Vet bills cost as much as human medical bills. Worse really because there is no insurance or government help. It's tough to have to make that decision but peoples needs have to come first. Darn it. That's the hardest part with having pets. But...you give them a good life then let them sleep.

I'm still sorry you are going through this now.   :hug3:

I mentioned hail the other day and wouldn't you know it. We just hade a huge hail storm. It sounded like it was going to break a window the way it was hitting them. I couldn't even see across the street. The sky got green (I hate that) and then it opened up and sent a deluge down. Green sky and hail can be the sign of tornado weather. I don't think there were any around me though. Jeep was safely in the garage, thankfully.  :rolleyes:

I hear thunder rolling again.

• Like 2

I wish pets would live longer too, Miki. :hug3:  The ferrets and ole Grrr are in their “Golden Years”. Tough on the heart, knowing what’s coming. 

Found a solution to tiny gnats in my potted plants inside. The gnats were eating the thyme sprouts as fast as they could grow. I rubbed bug repellent on the outside of the pots. It worked!  :amen:

The rose bushes are beginning to bloom and grow new leaves. Yeah!  I didn’t kill them when I planted them. :icon19:

Today, I am hoping to find out what is wrong with the lawn mower. I think it’s a clogged fuel line. God willing, that’s all it is. 

Then, pull out my canning jars and prep them for the carrot and beet harvest. 

The sun sun is up and I need to get stuff done before it gets too hot. They are saying 106*F by this weekend. Oh, along those lines, the National Forest Service has shut down the forests, until it rains. Major fines if they catch you in there. We haven’t had any rain and the fire danger is extreme. We’ve had several fires already this year.  Way too early in the season. :(

• Like 3

Wow, Annarchy....this year has been so warm/mild winter.  All the usual 'markers' are ahead by at least a month.  I keep thinking we're well into June already.    We've had fires....mostly the grass fires...not forest wildfires. 

Agree about our furry pals....shorter life span.  My nearly 18 yr old cat has recovered and is ....fine.  :shrug:  As fine as an 18 yr old cat can be, I'd guess.  She still leaps up on the bed, etc.  Always a tiny cat...I think that helps.  LOUD meowwing a lot ....demanding when I fix her special food or when she wants me to dangle the string-on-stick.  But doesn't seem to be in pain.  Might be.  She's interacting as normal and sleeping normal for this late stage of her life.  What more can ya ask for. 

Have a nice day, y'all....

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Looking at the finances glumly.  I kind of over-spent this month.

We have been trying to get back to zero since we closed on our house last June.  Almost there now and hope to be at zero by September! Putting in a back door and putting up a 5 foot chain link fence and small deck did us in but had to be done before we brought animals over.   

It's a process.  You sound like you are in better shape than we were!

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 1

My finances have been looking a little glum lately too. The thing is I haven't made any major purchases or even medium ones this year. I guess treading water is better than sinking. At least you have some wise purchases for your yard to show for it.

My hair needs cut too. Usually in the summer I get it cut about an inch below my ear lobes. I'm rethinking that though because then it's too short to put up off of my neck and the heat kills me. It does feel good getting that hair off and so much easier in the shower with washing and drying it. It's about an inch below my shoulders now. Cut it to make it feel good and easy to maintain VS. longer so I can clip it up off of my neck?  I suck at making decisions.

• Like 2

I chopped mine off (well, the lady at the salon did...) into basically a pixie without the pieces in front of my ears.  Presentable enough for finding a job, but much much easier to take care than just about any haircut that isn't a buzz.

Edited by TheCG
  • Like 2

Guy comes tomorrow to fix the stove, the oven, and the washing machine  all under warranty for $75.  Want to ask him about the ceiling fans that have locked down,  but that might be a different $75.  

We had to have our sweet Molly put to sleep today.  Not eating or drinking, throwing up bile, barely even moved off her bed.  I told DH today that the price of loving someone or something seems to get higher, the older we get!  Rough day!

• Sad 3

Thank you all for your sweet thoughts and condolences!  She'd been slowing down for awhile, but didn't show signs of illness until about a week and a half ago. I am glad she is not in pain today! The little pups are kind of acting out--potty in house, not eating well. That should stop soon. Thank you all again, you are appreciated!

Today's missions are to make the waffles to freeze and to can Vidalia onion soup. Maybe eBay photos

• Like 1

83 degrees here today and I'm roasting. I got up early and got the yard mowed before noon. Looks like I cut it a little too low. Pfffft. Maybe I won't have to cut it next week, depending on if it rains or not. I also got a lot of errands run. I forgot all about getting my license renewed. I have until the 6th. so I need to do that next week for sure. It doesn't seem like it's been 4 years already.

I finally got to Wal-Mart. My list was pretty long and I decided to do my grocery shopping while I was there. It was an awkward experience though. When I worked retail we were told to not make any comments about what the customer was buying. You could say that's pretty or that's soft etc. But it was better to say nothing at all. I bought quite a few things from different departments. That's why I went to Wal-Mart...one stop shop.

I had 6 plastic canisters that I needed for storage. Plastic, not glass.  She said,  "Oh wow, I wish I could afford something nice like those. All I have for storage is plastic bags." I wasn't too sure what to say. I just said I really needed them. Then I put 3 bras up and she said, "Those are so nice, I need bras too but I have to wait until they are on clearance."  Well, I buy on clearance too and I shop at Wal-Mart and the Dollar Tree, and they were only $12 something, but I needed bras like yesterday before I start trippin' over....things.  I bought a small container of watermelon because I just wanted a taste. Sigh. She said, "Those are so expensive to buy  those little containers. You could buy a whole watermelon for that." First of all no I couldn't. Watermelons aren't available here yet. And even if I could, today was trash day and I don't want a watermelon rind sitting around here for a week. AND, I just wanted a taste. A little taste. I was waiting for her to say something about my 6 Ramen Noodle bowls being loaded with sodium but she let them pass. She was in her 50's and should have known better. I felt like I was being chastised by her over my purchases.

When the total was finished I put my card in and it never told me to sign. I kept waiting. I asked her if I needed to sign and she said it wasn't telling her to have me sign so she guessed not. I walked out real slow in case they wanted to stop me but no one came. The bill was just over $100.00. Strange shopping day.

• Confused 2

RE: yapping cashier....Sheeeesh, that woman needs boundaries! 

We're over 80 degrees in the sun today again.  Pretty warm for May.  Might get snow/sleet yet again...but this warmer year, I doubt it.  Well....sleet was last week.  :wacko:   We even shed the winter hair off the old horse.....  We'll see if we regret that. 

I have to tell you about a weird thing yesterday.  I was in one bedroom and DH was in the other.  I think cat and I fell into a doze for a while.  It had been right around 80 degrees and then the clouds rolled over and we dropped temperature quickly.  All was quiet and then.......

:twister3: 

We had front and back doors wide open with screen doors.  All the sudden a JUMBLE OF STUFF was flying past the bedroom door from the living room.....and on into the other bedroom  It was an even stranger sight in there for DH.  The WIND blasted open the back screen door and a whole lotta loose stuff went FLYING OUT INTO THE YARD! 

:o

I mean stuff like papers, plastic bags, about 6 empty Kleenex boxes I had stacked up for recycled use....etc.  Other STUFF was knocked to the floor in living room.  I'd come to the door of bedroom to watch with my mouth hanging open.  Wait...wha?????   :scratchhead:

Now we do have HUGE GUSTS OF WIND that hit the house on Mach 3...4...or 5 days.  But it wasn't doing that....merely cool breezes.  That's why the doors were propped wide open.  So while we picked up, fetched from outside, straightened up....we figured it was something more than a GUST.  We think it must have been one of those mini-tornadoes...aka:  giant whirlwind.  Tho they can be as tall as the ridges on either side of this valley, they are narrow.  I've never seen one climb up this far...our cabin is 3/4 the way up the ridge.  They are STRONG ...but not tornado-strong.  You definitely dodge into vehicle or behind a shed if you see one coming in the barnyard.  Or if you can't, I turn and crouch down, close my eyes/cover my ears.  Can't believe one waltzed right through our whole cabin.  :sassing:

Yesterday was harsh day for me.  I've developed a gut irritation from too much NSAIDs.  Taking them sparingly since straining my back.  My back is much better and don't need Nuprin now for that.  But the gut thing was BAD for couple days.  Woke yesterday and it was ok....still a bit touchy so that I watch what I'm eating.  And can't take any Nuprin or Tyenlol. 

BUT....I woke already fighting a HEADACHE while I was sleeping.  Those are the bad ones.  I spent a lot of the day in severe PAIN and can't sit....laying down would cause head to explode.  So I stand....or rather pace.  I can't stand still with MS leg fatigue.  I should have worn a pedometer.  :0327:   DH worked on neck and the muscles.  It was receding and I'd been able to sit upright in hospital bed, reading.  But I think the JOLT of the "tornado" in my house caused it to flare again.  Or maybe I'd slumped down while napping?  :shrug: 

It flared up worse than ever.  OW!  I'd been fighting this since before I got up and it was now 7pm.  Exhausted.  Finally I said...I'll risk the gut irritation.  I'm taking Nuprin.  I only need one.  And DH worked on neck again.  Got one crack adjustment and I could feel a change.    Til it eased off....pacing again.  But this time I had to black-out all the windows.  Western setting sun is PIERCING in my eyes with those headaches.  DH went to feed.  Another 30-40 min and the relief began.  Once it began, I was feeling pretty good quickly.  SUCH A RELIEF!!!!  :balloons:   :amen:  ....exhausted tho! 

MtRider ....hate those massive headaches...wear me flat-out!!!  Feeling worn but ok today.  :amen:

• Sad 2

Wow Mt. Rider. That's crazy. Like a little tornado going straight through your house!

I'm sorry you had such a painful day. It must be doubly hard when you hurt and can't lie down or sit.  :sigh:

I've had a good week with my sleep pattern so far. I'm wired to be a night person so I get off track very easily. All week I've gone to bed around midnight and set the alarm for 9:00am and stayed up. I get more done when I get up early but it goes against my nature. Hope I can keep it up for awhile. One good migraine and I'll probably be off schedule again though.

Yeah, the Wal-Mart lady did have boundary issues. I hate when cashiers talk to me because my hearing is getting so bad most of the time I can't make out what they are saying. Even when I ask them to repeat it, they use the same volume in their voice. If I didn't hear it the first time you said it...speak up the next time.  :shrug:

• Like 1

Hope you feel better today, Mt_Rider. My Grandfather used to adjust my Grandmother regularly. My Mom was taught how and she showed us how to do basic adjustments. Then, I worked for an homeopathic chiropractor who taught me a lot. Touch/feel, etc.  I remember one of the lessons, he put a single strand of hair in a book under 11 pages and I had to trace the strand. It seemed to take forever, but it was a lesson on sensitivity I still use. It’s always reminded me of the fairytale, The Princess and the Pea. :grinning-smiley-044:

House cleaning today. Kinda overcast outside, the clouds are definitely too thin for any rain, but it’s nice not having the sun searing everything. 

• Like 3

We are soggy with rain here.  The dog's yard (out the laundry room door) is muddy and the pups are waling gingerly.  We have GRASS!!! coming up in the front yard at last.  It sure looks pretty against the red clay, but it also is holding the soil in place sooooo much better!  Our pole beans are over their 6 foot fence, so we are training them along the top.  

Lately I have been on a fried rice for breakfast binge.  I make up a pot of rice, freeze it in 2 cup baggies, then for breakfast thaw in the micro (very fast) while I saute some onions, celery, and whatever else I feel like until soft.  Then take out the rice, stir fry it with the veggies and when it is hot, stir in a beaten egg or two and stir fry until it is not liquid anymore.  It gets kinda creamy in the rice.  Sprinkle on soy sauce (low sodium, of course) and dig in.  A nice change from omelets and hash browns.  I do ramen the same way, cooking just the noodles and chilling them down.  Use them in place of the rice.  I get 'egged-out' sometimes, but still want the protein, so this is a good way to work them in a different way....

I've also been hitting the cottage cheese hard.  Trying to get 100 gr of protein a day, cottage cheese is a great help, plus it is full of choline for my "fatty liver".  .  I hated the stuff as a kid, now I like it and look for places to use it - funny how that works.  So far my favorite is to mix it into chili.   For breakfast today, I mixed it into ramen noodles with only half the flavoring packet, and ate my eggs boiled on the side. For dinner tonight we had liver.  We eat it nearly weekly - its fast to thaw, fast to cook, and around here, fast to disappear!!   

Rain tomorrow again.  Instead of checking each other for ticks we will have to start looking for algea!  

Happy Memorial Day to all! 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, kappydell said:

I get 'egged-out' sometimes, but still want the protein, so this is a good way to work them in a different way....

I relate to that!!!!  I'm always looking for protein.  My body needs it and does well on low-carb.  [not doing low carb right now....yet....     I have done ramen with less water....and stir in an egg.  If you stir slow, it for 'egg drop soup' version.  If you stir fast, it's that creamy texture.  Hadn't thot of it for breakfast. 

Another idea is to make a Korean 'egg pancake'.  That's just beat the egg [no added milk] and pour onto a hot griddle.  Heat on one side then turn to other side.  Makes a very thin egg thing which you then slice into strips to add to stir fry or whatever.  Cool, huh?  Only takes a couple minutes and adds protein. 

We just washed the dog.  We've got a system.  She doesn't tolerate the cold hose....COLD or  HOSE.  :grinning-smiley-044:  So we hook hose up to warm water from inside garage and have it fill a 5 gal bucket.  Scoop water out with Cool Whip containers to pour on her while rubbing.  She tolerates that.  Rub with doggie soap bar.  Rub like you're lovin' on her. And DO IT FAST!   After a while...cuz she's a lot of territory to rub...she tires of that story.  It's time for DH to go get some distracting treats.  She's begun her shed...usually when we do this wash to encourage the hair to come out.  So RINSE is a BIG JOB....right when she's getting impatient with this whole affair.  OH...TREATS???  :wub:  I guess I can stick around a bit longer.....  Actually she's usually enclosed in the 10X20' kennel fencing.  Had to use the 2 X-pens to surround her cuz kennel is still full of stuff that needs to get into the garage again. 

If DH could stay home, we could begin THAT project.  My folks need him frequently tho.  :shrug:  

SOGGY HAPPY dog and I run up the steps to the porch where she can't get loose and rub all that yucky cleanness into the dirt!  <_<

MtRider  :americanflag:

• Like 3